PDA

View Full Version : Jobo prices...ridiculous

CropDusterMan
1-Mar-2015, 06:53
Not sure how many of you are Jobo users-I have used the 1500 Series tanks for years for hand processing
35 and 120. Now that I've gotten back into 4x5, I'm looking at the 2500 Series gear at various sources,
such as Ebay, Freestyle etc...

Prices are nuts...especially for the used stuff...stained reels and used tanks going for big bucks.

I guess I may have to learn tray processing...worked for Ansel...maybe I'll even get the pyro-stained fingers.
(kidding)

vinny
1-Mar-2015, 07:05
those are cheap compared to the 3000 series!
I was lucky to get a whole bunch of 2500 series tanks when I bought my jobo.

Ed Bray
1-Mar-2015, 07:44
I thought I priced my Jobo kit very competitively :p

Daniel Stone
1-Mar-2015, 07:49
You did indeed, Ed!

ic-racer
1-Mar-2015, 08:24
High ebay prices for old junky stuff? A good time to buy new while you still can. Be glad new Jobo stuff is still available.

Kodachrome25
1-Mar-2015, 08:53
After dealing with uneven negs, I cringed and bought my first Jobo 3010 drum, yeah....pricey. Then I looked at the film and was blown away by the difference. I now have 3 x 3010 drums, 2x 3063 drums and some 2500 series. One of the best investments I have made. Film is expensive but not as much blown shots I was really counting on after days in the field, money spent on gas, time away from my wife, etc.

Lots of people say LF is cheap. I disagree because considering the way I need the results to be consistent, I have found it to be fairly expensive. This is why 6x6 is still by far my favorite, most productive and most creative output.

Jac@stafford.net
1-Mar-2015, 08:59
Prices are nuts...especially for the used stuff...stained reels and used tanks going for big bucks.

Alternatives such as a Beseler base and drum have worked for me for small runs, but patience is not one of my virtues, so I am re-investigating Jobo again and will check auction sold prices. An assuring fact is that Jobo equipment is well designed and I will not likely have to buy twice and parts are available.

Speaking of trays, are you (is anyone) familiar with the old Honeywell stainless steel rocking trays? They were originally intended for developing color prints using little chemistry. The downside is that one cannot shuffle films: it is a one-at-a-time thing

CropDusterMan
1-Mar-2015, 10:15
I'm trying to steer clear of trays as I have little experience with them (for souping film) and I use PMK Pyro...I've never had
good dexterity with gloves during darkroom work, also, the higher agitation required for 4x5 and Pyro has me wondering
how I would achieve good results with trays...(I realize many have before me, so feel free to chime in here with agitation advice if you have any-I'm always open to learn!
Quite honestly, my 120/35mm manual agitation/processing with the Jobo 1500's has never let me down, hence the desire
to stay with the familiar in a hand processed 2500 Series tank system.

I guess I'll have to pay.

StoneNYC
1-Mar-2015, 10:37
I don't see the prices you're seeing

Duolab123
1-Mar-2015, 11:08
I got lucky and bought a Duolab with a bunch of tanks for 100 bucks, it will NOT take the wonderful 3000 series tanks. I use the 4x5 sheet film reels for the 2500 series tanks. I can process 12 sheets of e-6 in one shot. Regarding the nearly impossible task of loading the 4x5 reels. I use a toy IR night vision goggle to see in the Dark! Jakks Spynet night vision googles. These things are amazing. it has built in IR and NIR illuminators. I taped over the dim red NIR leds so I don't accidentally fog film.130084

These things have never effected any e-6,c-41-or B&W obviously no IR film! You can focus them and you see everything on a small led screen, I can read "British Made" on my Hewes reels. I have lost some feeling in my fingers and this has really changed the game for me.

Now that film processing is something we can no longer take for granted this stuff is one of the only games in town, I use XTOL 1:1 with mostly TMAX, I am careful to make sure there is enough XTOL to do the job as with the low volumes I had a problem on one run.

Omer at Catlabs has been very helpful with spare parts and a new reel. This stuff is not cheap, but it works and it's the only game in town. The 3000 series tanks are amazing but out of my price range.:cool:

Good Luck, Mike

Duolab123
1-Mar-2015, 11:11
I forgot to tell you You need to bungee cord the goggles to your head to free your hands and seal off the light from the little LED Viewfinder in the goggles:)

Duolab123
1-Mar-2015, 11:15
Forgot to tell you I use Bungee cords to strap this thing to my head:)

Jac@stafford.net
1-Mar-2015, 11:19
I have a strange, huge daylight 4x5 sheet film processing drum. It can do something like 18 or 24 sheets at a time. It was given to me by a former processing lab who said, "The roller motor is long gone." (I guess so! Must have been a monster.)

dsphotog
1-Mar-2015, 12:21
Jobo gear costs a lot because it's worth it.

Expert film tanks will pay for themselves in chemical savings alone.

Darin Boville
1-Mar-2015, 12:57
I'm somewhat surprised we haven't seen a kickstaer project on this...

--Darin

Colin Graham
1-Mar-2015, 13:23
I resisted Jobo expert drums for years with grumbles and curses about the cost, but after finally buying one was impressed with how well they are engineered. So much so I recently bought another one.

But just to be balanced, the accessories are bloody ridiculous. $40 for a cylinder-shaped sponge on a stick? A $2 bottle brush wrapped with a microfiber cloth works much better.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31NQwQWz4wL.jpg

Ari
1-Mar-2015, 14:17
A $2 bottle brush wrapped with a microfiber cloth works much better.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31NQwQWz4wL.jpg

Nice, I like that.
Good-quality gear always costs more, it's often worth the price you pay.
Ease of use and even development are two good reasons to invest in a Jobo tank.

Colin Graham
1-Mar-2015, 14:50
The Rubbermaid brush in the photo works well for both the 3010 and 3006 drums- not sure about the other 3000 series drums. The bristles themselves would likely scratch the plastic, so I double-wrap a microfiber cloth around it first. Easy to have a separate cloth for cleaning and drying, and just throw them in the wash occasionally. I think Jobo recommends replacing their sponge every month or so...sponges can get pretty gross.

Moopheus
1-Mar-2015, 15:23
My Jobo tank is one of the few bits of darkroom gear I have that was purchased new, and I have no regrets about spending the money.

photonsoup
1-Mar-2015, 15:51
Carefully watch eBay after searching for what they actually sold for. If your patient, bargains do appear. A few moths ago one went for $350 with a lift and several drums, but it was pick up only. I called UPS and they would pick it up, package and ship it for about $100.

Mine was listed at a buy it now price of $700.00, there was a 3010 drum in the photo that was not in the description. It was listed several times. I offered $500 and he accepted. He was in BC, Canada and I'm in Montana so shipping was about $180.00 by the time customs finished with it. But I wound up with a CPA2 with a lift, a 3010 drum, a 2551 drum, foot pump, sponge, a bunch of bottles, and graduated cylinders. All I had to fix was a new LED indicator light that lets me know when the heating element is on. It work fine for a couple of months before I got around to replacing it. I carefully watched all the Jobo listings for about a year and a half before I found this one.

Kav
1-Mar-2015, 16:56
I was very lucky in that I was given all my JOBO equipment. But after using it for a few years, I would pay the current prices for the consistency they give me. And like Photonsoup said, there are deals out there if you have the time to wait for them.

StoneNYC
1-Mar-2015, 18:01
I was very lucky in that I was given all my JOBO equipment. But after using it for a few years, I would pay the current prices for the consistency they give me. And like Photonsoup said, there are deals out there if you have the time to wait for them.

You have my email when you're ready to pass that on ;) hahaha

Patrick13
1-Mar-2015, 19:32
I look at it this way: I have one Jobo tank for 4x5 and another for 35/120. That's all I need. Ever. I haven't touched my old stainless or trays in months. I'm a pretty sloppy worker but I can easily get reproducible results with no processing flaws out of the 3010 and that's worth the price of admission when other options either require immaculate technique, careful setup or restrict what kinds of chemistry I can use.

Totally worth the price of admission to that sideshow.

Kav
1-Mar-2015, 20:36
You have my email when you're ready to pass that on ;) hahaha

I'll keep you in mind lol

richardman
2-Mar-2015, 21:28
Are the 3000 series expert drums better than 2500 series drums for 4x5 on a CPP2? I can do up to 12 sheets at a time. The only major errors so far I have traced to my own carelessness. What would the 3000 drums buy me?

Thanks

StoneNYC
2-Mar-2015, 22:07
Are the 3000 series expert drums better than 2500 series drums for 4x5 on a CPP2? I can do up to 12 sheets at a time. The only major errors so far I have traced to my own carelessness. What would the 3000 drums buy me?

Thanks

They are easier to load, and slightly better in the even development (better for color developing) but if you ever plan to shoot something like ADOX IR400 film in 4x5 you basically have to get a 3010 because the film is so thin it is possible it will fall out of the 2509n reels, where the 3010 is just a hole so you don't have to worry it will shift or fall out.

If I had a CPP2/ATL I would own a 3010 (or maybe two) tank(s) already, but I don't, I do own and use a 3005 (the 8x10 version of the 3010) and it's definitely worth it and so easy to use.

Sirius Glass
2-Mar-2015, 22:09
After dealing with uneven negs, I cringed and bought my first Jobo 3010 drum, yeah....pricey. Then I looked at the film and was blown away by the difference. I now have 3 x 3010 drums, 2x 3063 drums and some 2500 series. One of the best investments I have made. Film is expensive but not as much blown shots I was really counting on after days in the field, money spent on gas, time away from my wife, etc.

Lots of people say LF is cheap. I disagree because considering the way I need the results to be consistent, I have found it to be fairly expensive. This is why 6x6 is still by far my favorite, most productive and most creative output.

After using tray and then trying out a number of tanks I found that the money spent for the Jobo 3010 Expert Drum well worth the money. The consistency is better, fewer mistakes and much higher quality. When you amortize the cost of the drum of the number of sheets of film that it will process, the cost is low. Especially as a result in use of the drum has increased the number of sheet of film used.

Bruce Watson
3-Mar-2015, 09:35

Prices are anything but "nuts". They are what the market sets them to be. IOW, people think these things are highly valuable for their purposes and are therefore willing to pay a high price to obtain them. It's completely rational.

I did my research and everything I found pointed me toward a Jobo 3010 tank for 5x4 film. I paid the high price and couldn't be happier. Based on the rate at which I was screwing up film and processing using trays (I could eliminate everything but the scratches; I just wasn't willing to process one sheet of film at a time, and could never master shuffling the sheets without scratching), that 3010 tank easily paid for itself. But it's the amazingly even development, and the sheet-to-sheet consistency, that makes the 3010 worth the big bucks to me.

But if you're happy with tray development, carry on. Everyone should use the processes with which they are most comfortable. I'm just glad I found mine, and had the sense to buy in.

CropDusterMan
3-Mar-2015, 09:56
Bruce,

Thanks for your input...the one thing I agree whole heartedly with is the quality of the Jobo and it's high quality results...
I've been using the 1500 Series for a long time and have great results...many years ago, I worked in Europe shooting
professional cycling-we used Jobo Processors in the press rooms processing E6 to then scan for worldwide distribution...
results were great, and those slides are as good as the day I processed them.

But $175 (current Ebay example) for a Jobo 2500 Series tank and reel just seems like a lot to pay. After all is said and
done-all of you are right. I wont regret it. Quality will prevail. So I guess it's time to grab my ankles and quit whining. ;O)

Ed Bray
3-Mar-2015, 10:24
I will say that I priced mine to sell sooner rather than wait for what would be a more realistic price or taking a chance on ebay and paying their fees.

The Processor and Expert tanks are sale pending (awaiting collection) and were such within a couple of hours. Could I have asked for more, probably, but I like the people that I have had discourse with both here and on APUG and I can rest easy knowing that my stuff is going to good homes where it will be utilised and looked after.

The chap that is collecting my Jobo stuff is only an hour and a half away and depending on the size of the vehicle he comes up in he will be going away with loads of freebies too so it is a win/win for both of us. I get to clear out the darkroom and he gets a lot of stuff he probably isn't expecting.

Vaughn
3-Mar-2015, 11:01
I bought a 3005 drum new awhile back. I paid $200 more than that for a used one many years later, then eventually another used one at the price of the first one. Until my darkroom is finished (going slow), I can load up to the three drums at night, and develop at my leisure the following day in my kitchen (motor base). Worth every penny.

But it is amazing how these things come together. I found a Jobo water tempering bath for carbon printing to keep the pigmented gelatin at 110F for a few hours, and then when another crossed my path, I bought it as a back-up and for workshops. One of those things that just make life a little easier. I am glad I did not have to pay new prices on these, but I might have bought one if I had to.

I just bought a friend's darkroom equipment..sink, fan, trays, you name it...including a CPA2 with lift with assorted drums and tanks. I have not tried it out yet...it looks to be a fearsome beast, but when I build a flat place for it, I'll man-up and face it. Just using a motor base has been fine for 8x10, and SS tanks/SS lids/SS reels for 120 film is fine -- agitating those double 120 tanks, one in each hand, is a good upper body exercise! But the possibility of doing a sheet of 11x14 film in a drum is interesting -- is there a drum recommended for 11x14 film developing?

DrTang
3-Mar-2015, 11:11
What would the 3000 drums buy me?

Thanks

5x7 and 8x10

koh303
3-Mar-2015, 17:10
...if you ever plan to shoot something like ADOX IR400 film in 4x5 you basically have to get a 3010 because the film is so thin it is possible it will fall out of the 2509n reels, where the 3010 is just a hole so you don't have to worry it will shift or fall out.

That is simply not true.

StoneNYC
3-Mar-2015, 23:06
I bought a 3005 drum new awhile back. I paid $200 more than that for a used one many years later, then eventually another used one at the price of the first one. Until my darkroom is finished (going slow), I can load up to the three drums at night, and develop at my leisure the following day in my kitchen (motor base). Worth every penny.

But it is amazing how these things come together. I found a Jobo water tempering bath for carbon printing to keep the pigmented gelatin at 110F for a few hours, and then when another crossed my path, I bought it as a back-up and for workshops. One of those things that just make life a little easier. I am glad I did not have to pay new prices on these, but I might have bought one if I had to.

I just bought a friend's darkroom equipment..sink, fan, trays, you name it...including a CPA2 with lift with assorted drums and tanks. I have not tried it out yet...it looks to be a fearsome beast, but when I build a flat place for it, I'll man-up and face it. Just using a motor base has been fine for 8x10, and SS tanks/SS lids/SS reels for 120 film is fine -- agitating those double 120 tanks, one in each hand, is a good upper body exercise! But the possibility of doing a sheet of 11x14 film in a drum is interesting -- is there a drum recommended for 11x14 film developing?

Nice, I wish I had more than one 3005 two would be nice.

I'll need to get two 3010's at some point.

But first a CPP2 with lift or ATL, I think the 3010's are too short to fit on my roller base without worrying about it sliding off, the 3005 works well on the roller base and for 4x5 the 2551 with 2509n reels work in my super old CPE original.

To answer your question, I personally use a 3063 for one or two sheets on a roller base, it kind of looks tipsy but it works.

You can also use any of these version of the print drums here for a single 11x14 at a time.

I would use the inserts to keep the sheets in place and avoid scratching, but none are designed like the 3005 style, its unfortunate they didn't at least make an 11x14 version that fits the same tube style design.

CropDusterMan
6-Mar-2015, 07:53
I found a JOBO unit on Craigslist locally-a 2500 Series with loading guide. Got
it for a really nice price.

StoneNYC,

That is a sweet set-up.

StoneNYC
6-Mar-2015, 09:27
I found a JOBO unit on Craigslist locally-a 2500 Series with loading guide. Got
it for a really nice price.

StoneNYC,

That is a sweet set-up.

Thanks, it's better than nothing but ultimately I would prefer to have a CPP2 with lift or smaller ATL that could handle all the tanks instead of switching bases for different sized tanks, and then with better temp control I wouldn't need to use the sink area either.

But for now it works!

koh303
6-Mar-2015, 10:06
Thanks, it's better than nothing but ultimately I would prefer to have a CPP2 with lift or smaller ATL that could handle all the tanks instead of switching bases for different sized tanks, and then with better temp control I wouldn't need to use the sink area either.

But for now it works!

There is only one size ATL that handles all tanks and it is not small.

StoneNYC
6-Mar-2015, 10:10
There is only one size ATL that handles all tanks and it is not small.

The ATL2 that can be seated in the CPP2 red well seems to be popular and that takes all tanks. Or am I missing something?

macandal
12-Mar-2015, 13:35
Which Jobo system would any of you recommend for 4x5 and how much should I pay for it?

Thanks.

koh303
12-Mar-2015, 21:19
Which Jobo system would any of you recommend for 4x5 and how much should I pay for it?

Thanks.

You can read about the different processors here:
http://www.catlabs.info/how-to-choose-the-right-jobo-processor

Roger Cole
12-Mar-2015, 23:50
Why does Jobo stuff cost so much?

Because it's worth it.

I'd love to be able to buy one of the new processors, or at least a good used CPA2 or CPP2 + Lift to replace my CPE2 but it's not in the cards yet. However, if my CPE2 croaked tomorrow, I'd be looking for another one.

HeinrichVoelkel
13-Mar-2015, 03:38
After dealing with uneven negs, I cringed and bought my first Jobo 3010 drum, yeah....pricey. Then I looked at the film and was blown away by the difference. I now have 3 x 3010 drums, 2x 3063 drums and some 2500 series.

Do you see a difference in using the 3010 compared to the 2500 for 4x5??? I was thinking about getting back into developing BW myself and still have some 2500 tanks laying around. But, I'm more interested in quality negs and eveness of development than experimenting.

CropDusterMan
13-Mar-2015, 20:14
I'm not referring to the actual processor units, but rather the simple hand processing tanks...$175 for a Jobo 2521? That is price gouging. Fortunately, I found one such
unit with the 4x5 loader guide/spool holder for a VERY low price locally. Stoked.

Roger Cole
13-Mar-2015, 20:25
I used the 2500 drums for 4x5 for a while, then I started noticing bands of extra density and wave patterns down the edges that were in the reel. I hadn't changed anything in my process. I started using a 3010 drum and haven't had any more problems. I still use 2800 print drums for 8x10, but I am looking for a 3004 or 3005 drum.

I have a similar situation, but I used the 2509n for a long while with good results, then started getting marked streaking. The thing is, it's with the same materials that didn't use to streak, and it isn't me being more discerning because I have the previous negatives and they look just fine to me. I still haven't figured it out and gone back to deep tanks for now for 4x5 (I'd still have a Jobo just for all the 120 I do, which is far and away more than 4x5.)

I don't know what to make of it. I didn't change either method or materials, and yet my results changed.

Duolab123
13-Mar-2015, 23:46
I bought a regular Jobo 4x5 reel for around $65 from Omer at Catlabsjp I have a 2500 series tank and it works great. To make it easier to load I use Jakks Pacific spy net toy IR goggles strapped to my head. IR illumination from goggles doesn't harm normal films at all . I covered the dim red leds with tape as these will fog film. AMAZING you can see the film and reel so clearly that it's very easy to load any reel and make sure that the reels are loaded correctly . I have a little baby Jobo duolab processor and develop all my e-6, C-41, b&w films . The 3000 series drums are fabulous but out of my price range . If all you plan on is b&w it's pretty easy to dip and dunk with hangers and hard rubber tanks. Did this for years with good old HC-110 dilution B , you do have to stand in the dark with the old rubber tanks.

CropDusterMan
14-Mar-2015, 14:14
I got a mint Jobo 2521 Series tank, reel and the Jobo Loader Base/Guide for $40. Guy who sold it to me was super cool.

Sirius Glass
18-Mar-2015, 20:05

Thanks.

I use the Jobo 3010 Expert Drum which can process up to 10 sheets of 4"x5" film. I paid around $300US a few years ago. Well worth the cost.

StoneNYC
18-Mar-2015, 20:45
I use the Jobo 3010 Expert Drum which can process up to 10 sheets of 4"x5" film. I paid around $300US a few years ago. Well worth the cost.

Yup, one 3010 just went for $200 on the forum and another for $295 on eBay, I got my 3005 and 3063 last year both for $300 each and I'm looking for a second 3005 and second 3063 and one 3010 also in those price ranges.

Hopefully that will sustain me for a while.

Still need that JOBO CPP2+ with lift or ATL, I'm still using a simple Beseler rotary base for all my expert drums.

koh303
19-Mar-2015, 06:51
I got my 3005 and 3063 last year both for $300 each and I'm looking for a second 3005 and second 3063 and one 3010 also in those price ranges.
We have 3063 drums for less then that as regular stock...

macandal
19-Mar-2015, 11:43
I use the Jobo 3010 Expert Drum which can process up to 10 sheets of 4"x5" film. I paid around $300US a few years ago. Well worth the cost.I'm asking about the whole system that develops the film not the tanks. I am looking for a complete unit that's ready to go. Which one to get and how much should I pay for one?

Thanks.

StoneNYC
19-Mar-2015, 12:28
We have 3063 drums for less then that as regular stock...

You blocked me on eBay when i lowballed you on the 70mm tank, Hah! Unblock me and I can buy from you ;)

The 3063 tank came with clips, and two additional 2800 series double long tanks and three 1500 series tanks and reels. So it was quite a deal for $300.

StoneNYC
19-Mar-2015, 12:30
I'm asking about the whole system that develops the film not the tanks. I am looking for a complete unit that's ready to go. Which one to get and how much should I pay for one?

Thanks.

This is a loaded question, too many variables, do you need 2800 print drums or just 2500 or only 1500 series tanks or 3000 series expert drums, your question is too broad, look on eBay, find what you need, that's the price...

Expect under $1,000 for a decent setup,but more than $500 if you don't already have tanks.