PDA

View Full Version : Loosey goosey aperture lever on Schneider SA XL 90mm

pchaplo
27-Feb-2015, 10:44
The aperture lever on one of my Schneider SA XL's is more loose then my other lenses, and sometimes if I touch it while cocking the shutter, it moves. My other lenses have a more "sure" or firm feel--which I must prefer.

Can I tighten the aperture adjustment in the Schneider 90mm SA XL in question? How?

StoneNYC
28-Feb-2015, 00:09
My fujinon 450 C has the same issue, I asked SK Grimes but all they said is they could fix it, obviously wouldn't tell me how LOL, curious if others know how, but SK Grimes of course is an option if you have the money.

Sal Santamaura
28-Feb-2015, 09:36
I haven't had the problem with any of my Copal 0-shuttered lenses, which is good, since I don't know how to access the aperture adjustment bearing surface on those. With Copal 1 shutters, like the Fujinon 450C, it's extremely easy to remedy. Using a jeweler's screwdriver, remove the two small phillips-head screws that hold the aperture adjusting ring in place. Clean off any existing lubrication from the shutter body and now-separated ring. With a toothpick, apply a small amount of Super Lube

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-Synthetic-Syncolon-Lubricant/dp/B000XBH9HI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425141202&sr=8-1&keywords=super+lube

in several spots around the surface where the shutter and ring interface. Replace ring and screws. Voilą -- perfectly damped aperture adjustment.

pchaplo
1-Mar-2015, 23:44
I haven't had the problem with any of my Copal 0-shuttered lenses, which is good, since I don't know how to access the aperture adjustment bearing surface on those. With Copal 1 shutters, like the Fujinon 450C, it's extremely easy to remedy. Using a jeweler's screwdriver, remove the two small phillips-head screws that hold the aperture adjusting ring in place. Clean off any existing lubrication from the shutter body and now-separated ring. With a toothpick, apply a small amount of Super Lube

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-Synthetic-Syncolon-Lubricant/dp/B000XBH9HI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425141202&sr=8-1&keywords=super+lube

in several spots around the surface where the shutter and ring interface. Replace ring and screws. Voilą -- perfectly damped aperture adjustment.

Hi Sal, I think you just helped a bunch of people with Copal 1's -- but here I am with a small Copal 0 and I can't see how to access the aperture lever mechanism to tighten it. Perhaps there is a secret to opening it that someone knows? ... [cricket audio up lol]

Sal Santamaura
21-Jun-2015, 08:55
Thanks to member OKAROB, who posted this

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?123221-New-Copal-0-shutter-blade-repair-video

today, it's now clear how one can apply a bit of Super Lube to correct a Copal 0 exhibiting loose aperture adjustment.

Contrasted with the single part used by a Copal 1, the linked video shows that there are two pieces associated with the aperture lever on a Copal 0. It makes clear that, after removing the rear cell and shutter retaining ring, one simply needs to back out the small screws holding a three-tabbed retaining ring against the aperture adjusting lever disk and lift it off. The actual lever disk stays in place. Clean off any existing lubrication between the disk and its retaining ring, use a toothpick to add a small amount of Super Lube between them and reassemble. That's all there is to it.

I just performed this procedure on one of my Copal 0 shutters and confirm the disassembly/reassembly process works as described. Once again: voilą -- perfectly damped aperture adjustment.

pchaplo
27-Jun-2015, 13:15
Hi Sal,

Thanks for sharing this link. Great info and very helpful for me and other Copal 0 users who have found aperture lever adjustment a conundrum.

Cant wait to try it!

Paul

Sal Santamaura
27-Jun-2015, 14:49
...Cant wait to try it!...lI've performed this Super Lube lever damping procedure on two Copal 0 shutters since making that post. Here's an additional tip.

If, despite my instruction to leave the aperture lever disc in place when removing its three-tabbed retaining ring, that lever disc is removed, the aperture blades can become asymmetrical. This is because two small studs on the lever disc merely drop into mating holes of two independent leaf-controlling mechanisms. Should you experience such a situation, don't panic.

Gently open both sides of the aperture. Then, using the lever pointer as a guide to alignment (should be at the lens' maximum aperture setting), drop the lever disc back into place. Complete task of adding Super Lube between it and the three-tabbed retaining ring, replace screws and re-mount on lens board.

EdSawyer
29-Jun-2015, 07:10
would just tightening those 3 screws add enough resistance to damp the aperture adjusting lever I wonder, without adding the grease? Thanks for posting the info and link to the video! very helpful.

Sal Santamaura
29-Jun-2015, 07:31
would just tightening those 3 screws add enough resistance to damp the aperture adjusting lever I wonder, without adding the grease?...No, they're already fully tightened. If not, expect everything to fall apart in short order. :)