PDA

View Full Version : Are these used 4x5 film holders too worn?

pchaplo
26-Feb-2015, 23:18

See the worn grooves along the top and bottom of the leading edge? Is that enough to be a concern or is it not a problem? Without testing, can you tell me from your experience if these film holders may leak light from the wear? It looks the the camera back actually made grooves in the top in bottom where the holder was pushed-in over the years.

Wishing you great light!
Paul

ps: hey Old-and-Feeble your inbox is full.

mdarnton
27-Feb-2015, 05:24
I have always used that wear spot as a guidepoint, so I would say they are too worn, given that there are plenty of holders out there in nearly mint condition for pennies. If I already had them, I'd use them until I discovered if they have light leaks from those grooves, or use them in the studio where it's dark.

Starting out fresh, I looked for the least worn holders I could get, and bought those. Nearly new wood holders can be had on Ebay for $3 each if you keep looking. I have around 50 mint holders that cost me less than some people pay for two or three new ones!

vinny
27-Feb-2015, 05:39
Avoid those. Clearly studio holders which were slammed into a camera day in day out. You're asking for trouble.
Someone listed a bunch of nice holders here or apug earlier this week for something like $4 each.

Jim C.
27-Feb-2015, 07:39
That groove was put there on purpose for some reason, it seems to be only on one edge.
and I can't see how even if they were used 24/7 /356 a groove that sized would wear in.

Unless they're free, I agree with vinny, avoid.

John Kasaian
27-Feb-2015, 08:02
For fun, you could blacken some PC-7 with Testor's enamel, fill the grooves and dress down any excess (take the flaps off the holders for first.) It seems like an awful lot of work though.

mdarnton
27-Feb-2015, 08:04
It's wear, not intention. You see that type of wear very commonly on Grafmatics, which I think wedding photogs probably used to death in various Graphics, slamming them in and out in a hurry. The corner that goes in first gets the worst beating. With a proper view camera, some care and a bail, it won't happen.

Jim Jones
27-Feb-2015, 08:14
I would use those film holders until they actually proved to leak light. Those wear areas receive no direct light when the film holder is in the camera. Most of my film holders have binary coded notches on the flap so the holder can be identified if it does leak.

Sevo
27-Feb-2015, 08:46
I've never seen any asymmetric wear like that, at least not on recent "international" holders like these. If they wear out, they do so on the entire bottom end, and not to that extent either - the flaps or slides break first. If it is wear, it must have been caused by some particular camera not common in Europe, with some abrasive protrusion on the right upper edge only.

pchaplo
27-Feb-2015, 10:31
Thanks to all for your most helpful information.

Wishing you great light!
Paul

Doremus Scudder
27-Feb-2015, 10:46
Paul,

I'd test one. Load it with paper, insert it into your camera and then expose it to sunlight, flashlight, etc. from all directions. If it doesn't leak, you're probably good to go.

That said, I'd likely fill the grooves and use them, that is, if the rest of the holders are in good shape. Black (dark grey) MarineTex works wonderfully for plastic holders and is sandable/paintable.

Best,

Doremus

stiganas
27-Feb-2015, 10:52
I recently bough a Speed Graphic and from the first use I though it will eat my holders exactly in this way.

It's wear, not intention. You see that type of wear very commonly on Grafmatics, which I think wedding photogs probably used to death in various Graphics, slamming them in and out in a hurry. The corner that goes in first gets the worst beating. With a proper view camera, some care and a bail, it won't happen.

Old-N-Feeble
28-Feb-2015, 13:35
Something appears very odd about the hinges. Does it look like the edges were melted?

PM box has some space now.

See the worn grooves along the top and bottom of the leading edge? Is that enough to be a concern or is it not a problem? Without testing, can you tell me from your experience if these film holders may leak light from the wear? It looks the the camera back actually made grooves in the top in bottom where the holder was pushed-in over the years.

Wishing you great light!
Paul

ps: hey Old-and-Feeble your inbox is full.

Kodachrome25
28-Feb-2015, 16:29
Since decent to good film costs about 1/4th as much per sheet as a decent used film holder, there is no way in hell I would take a chance with those.