PDA

View Full Version : how long to develop pola??

roger michel
6-Jan-2005, 12:09
after shooting 8x10 polas (type 84 and 89), how long can you wait to develop before suffering ill effects?? specifically, is 10 days too long??

thanks!!

roger michel
6-Jan-2005, 12:26
to be clear (for the benefit of sematical sticklers and other assorted noodges), ill-effects to the film that is.

Tracy Storer
6-Jan-2005, 18:33
I had to read that a couple times before it really sank in what you were asking.
Of course, the vast majority of Polaroids are processed within seconds or minutes of exposure, so I don't have any actual data....Film is film, exposure is exposure, a latent image is a latent image....more or less.
A good test would be to expose several sheets of film exactly the same, and process one each day ensuring the time/temp is constant and compare the results.
The trouble doing this with the 8x10 system is that you will need lots of film holders. (the neg stays in the holder till it feeds into the processor)
My suspicion is that you'll be fine. You should definitely try it and let us know what happens.
If you want to persue this further I would reccommend exposing additional "control" exposures so you can tweak final process times when you do process the important exposures.

roger michel
7-Jan-2005, 08:26
thanks tracy. yes, as you seem to know, the 8x10 processing is not easily done in the field, at the time of exposure. while there are manual units, most of the 8x10 processors require mains current to function. in addition, the freshly developed sheets are real dust magnets.

anyway, i intend to make some trials. i was justhoping someone might have prior experience. thanks!!