PDA

View Full Version : Newest model Compur 3, T Trouble

Corran
25-Feb-2015, 12:39
I just got a lens that uses a newer Compur #3 shutter, the one that looks just the like electronic shutter. But not electronic. Like THIS (http://www.burchardgalleries.com/auctions/2014/aug2414/01images/l1275_2.jpg).

Everything looks mint and works beautifully save the T function. However, I've never had a shutter like this so I figured I would ask. On the older Compurs you don't cock the shutter for T (or B, but this shutter has no B) but this one it seems you do? However, when I depress the shutter release it doesn't do anything. It makes a vague click sound, like it hit something but didn't trigger. The shutter blades don't move and the red "flag" is still up. I can move the shutter speed dial to 200 and fire it fine. Using a release cable does the same.

Am I doing something wrong or is this an internal issue that needs a servicing to fix?

koh303
25-Feb-2015, 14:22
Could be the preview lever (internal actuator) is stuck.

Corran
25-Feb-2015, 14:56
Hmm.

Well I was fooling with it again and I noticed that when I move the selector from 1/200 to T, the preview lever moves lightly left. So I pushed the lever to the right and held it there, which made the T setting trip, but instantaneously like it was on 1/200.

So it definitely seems to be an issue related to the preview lever. Is the lever supposed to move when T is used?

Ari
25-Feb-2015, 16:53
Is the lever supposed to move when T is used?

Mine does; I have an older version with a silver ring, but when the diaphragm is closed and I switch between 1/200 and T, the lever moves.
The shutter works perfectly, btw, so I don't think you have any cause for concern.

Corran
25-Feb-2015, 17:33
Thanks Ari. Well the T doesn't do anything so I wonder what else it could be. I guess a service would fix it.

Ari
25-Feb-2015, 18:36
Thanks Ari. Well the T doesn't do anything so I wonder what else it could be. I guess a service would fix it.

I'd agree with you there, Bryan; the T should be working, so send it in if you can.
A fine lens like that deserves red carpet treatment.

animaux
14-Nov-2018, 11:16
@Corran were you able to resolve the issue? I have the exact same problem.

Corran
14-Nov-2018, 12:37
Nope I sure wasn't. It needs service, but I have been using it as-is since.

animaux
14-Nov-2018, 15:51
Thanks, will probably do that too. Had another look inside just now and can imagine what the levers SHOULD do in T-mode, but have not yet grasped what part is not doing its part. I wish there was a video of a working Copal 3s insides, or at least som images. But sadly its all older and smaller versions.

Luis-F-S
14-Nov-2018, 18:01
My older silver rim Compur 3 have T and no B setting. My newer all black Compur 3 have a B and no T setting. They work exactly the same. They open and close and are made to be used with a shutter release. It's not a problem, it's the way the shutter is designed to work.

L

Corran
14-Nov-2018, 18:13
Copal 3s

Do you have a Copal or a Compur??

My older silver rim Compur 3 have T and no B setting. My newer all black Compur 3 have a B and no T setting. They work exactly the same. They open and close and are made to be used with a shutter release. It's not a problem, it's the way the shutter is designed to work.

L

If this in response to my original post from 2015, you've completely misread my statements. The 'T' setting does nothing. The shutter needs a service to use T. I was initially concerned I was doing something wrong as I hadn't used a modern Compur before but it was not me.

Luis-F-S
14-Nov-2018, 19:26
Yes, it's an old thread, but there were several responses today. On mine, the T works exactly as the B setting. L

Compur 3's, Silver on left with a 240 Componon-S & black on right with a 240 Sironar-N. Silver has a T setting, the black has a B setting both work identically and perform the same function.

animaux
15-Nov-2018, 00:26
Do you have a Copal or a Compur??

Sorry, it’s Compur 3, it was late yesterday.

animaux
15-Nov-2018, 00:30
If this in response to my original post from 2015, you've completely misread my statements. The 'T' setting does nothing. The shutter needs a service to use T. I was initially concerned I was doing something wrong as I hadn't used a modern Compur before but it was not me.

That’s what I thought and like I said it’s exactly the same problem. Mine is a silver one with T only.

To add to the confusion, my older Synchro Compur does Click-Open-Click-Close in B-Mode and Click-Hold-Close in T-Mode.

Luis-F-S
15-Nov-2018, 08:09
Synchro-compur different beast from Compur 3

animaux
15-Nov-2018, 08:13
Synchro-compur different beast from Compur 3

Sure thing. But I was expecting T and B modes to work the same way no matter what model or brand. Apparently that’s not the case.