PDA

View Full Version : Ansco 120 + RC paper = ???

ostrygad
24-Feb-2015, 13:33
Hello all

I started making 10x12 using Fomaspeed S (soft grade) RC paper as a regular negative.
The problem is that Fomaspeed S is rather like a normal grade paper than soft, so i have to pull down that one grade by using special soft working developer.

I decided to use Ansco 120 soft developer. And now is the question: will Ansco gives me good results with that paper , which is resin coated and has a developing agent in the emulsion ?

Anyone tried combination like this (or another RC paper and developer based on metol) ?

thank you !
Jakub

Taija71A
24-Feb-2015, 13:45
__

Hello Jakub,

There is no need to worry.
Ansco 120 (Agfa 120) Paper Developer... Will work just fine!
--
FYI... Many of the Variable Contrast/Resin Coated Papers -- Contain 'Developing' agents.

*The final results of course... Are up to you! :)
--
Best regards,

-Tim.

ostrygad
25-Feb-2015, 01:57
Many thanks Tim ! I just realize that Ansco 120 and Kodak D-165 have the same formula...so my question should be: is it possible, that paper developer with Metol agent only and WITHOUT Hydrochinone won`t work well with RC papers ?

Doremus Scudder
25-Feb-2015, 04:40
...so my question should be: is it possible, that paper developer with Metol agent only and WITHOUT Hydrochinone won`t work well with RC papers ?

A Metol-only print developer will work fine with RC papers and give you softer results than a MQ developer. If your paper has developing agents incorporated in the emulsion, the results may not be as soft.

Doremus

IanG
25-Feb-2015, 05:03
I don't think there's any developer incorporated papers made now. There can be weak reducing agents used to stabilise emulsions which are very weak developers in an Alkali solution but they won't affect the contrast if you use a soft working Metol based developer.

Ian

Doremus Scudder
25-Feb-2015, 10:39
Thanks for clarifying, Ian. I haven't printed on an RC paper for about 30 years, so wasn't sure how they were formulated.

Best,

Doremus

Taija71A
25-Feb-2015, 11:12
A Metol-only print developer will work fine with RC papers and give you softer results than a MQ developer.

Jakub, as per above...

A Paper Developer containing only Metol as its Developing Agent (*No Hydroquinone)... Will work just fine!

ostrygad
25-Feb-2015, 12:49
...i ordered necessary chemicals today and will mix all that stuff soon :)

Duolab123
28-Feb-2015, 18:33
I remember the developer incorporated stuff, Kodak made the polycontrast Rapid stuff would develop up in 30 secs. The latest batch of Ilford RC is almost like printing fiber base gives you a lot more room to work, longer development times, real nice stuff. I remember playing around with I think Edwal formula 135. It had Metol and Glycin (Edwal called their brand Monazol) you could use it in a wide range of dilutions 1:1 to 1:7, cold to warm. Glycin is one of the old coal tar based developing agents so it wastes no time turning back into brown tar. I substituted Hydroquinone for the glycin got good results. I had a lot of fun with this stuff. Now I am lazy and just use Bromophen 1:3 sometimes I will do the old two step start with Selectol soft and finish with the Bromphen. I tone everything with Kodak Selenium mixed with Hypoclear working. 1&3 and I get it warm 80F or so to speed it up really helps with D MAX. Sounds like I need to get out my scales and start brewing up some of these great old formulas.

PS Foma is making a silver chloride paper, I got some in fiber and resin base, contact speed! It's like RC AZO:o