PDA

View Full Version : film packaging

jp
23-Feb-2015, 14:57
Is this normal? Second box I've had packaged like this. Kinda defeats the double boxing concept.
Kodak doesn't box them like this, and I don't box film like this after I open it.

djdister
23-Feb-2015, 15:06
Definitely not normal or correct. I'd say they have a quality control problem in packaging.

Nigel Smith
23-Feb-2015, 15:11
if you haven't already, get over to APUG and let Simon Galley know. He'll want to see (including batch numbers, etc)

vinny
23-Feb-2015, 19:14
Uh yeah, that's not right!

Jac@stafford.net
23-Feb-2015, 19:28
That is so f**ked up.

StoneNYC
23-Feb-2015, 21:03
Calm down people, I doubt the film has come to any harm despite the failed packaging, my 8x10 fuji Acros100 doesn't even come with an inner box at all and the film is fine. The box is also the deeper sided one, and so the "light trap" would reduce the light further than the thinner edged 25 sheet boxes.

That said obviously not the best thing to send out and not notice for Ilford...

Andrew O'Neill
23-Feb-2015, 21:37
Jason, did you post this over at apug? Simon should see this.

jp
24-Feb-2015, 07:37
I'm actually taking a break from apug.

The film was not harmed in the previous box like this and I havent' started this one yet. It has been in the freezer for a year, so it's likely of little short term operational value to Ilford.

BrianShaw
24-Feb-2015, 07:42
It has been a while since I've opened a new box of Ilford, but isn't the film in a light-tight envelope? It's not the correct (normal) way but it seems rather harmless.

Oren Grad
24-Feb-2015, 08:13

The film was not harmed in the previous box like this and I havent' started this one yet. It has been in the freezer for a year, so it's likely of little short term operational value to Ilford.

Please at least email Harman through the Ilford Photo website, with the batch number.

StoneNYC
24-Feb-2015, 12:49

I'm on PERMANENT break from APUG too haha, about the only thing I miss is the east view and access to Simon at ilford and others like Adox and such.

I'm sure by now they are likely aware of the issue, but it's a bit odd that you didn't notice this earlier and notify them.

But again as you stated the other one wasn't ruined so I'm sure this one is fine also, but still questions how the box was completely flipped around like that. Lol.

Drew Wiley
24-Feb-2015, 13:10
It makes a huge difference if you re-use these boxes for holding exposed film. ACROS, for example, comes with only two box shells, so it's important to keep the
lightproof black plastic bag and fold it over. Some EU film boxes leaked light even thru the corner tape/labeling, so were essentially worthless once any inner foil
bag was sliced. I sure learned that the hard way!

jp
24-Feb-2015, 13:20
it's a bit odd that you didn't notice this earlier and notify them.

If I get a impressively sized order of film in, I bag it up quickly and get it in the freezer before my wife gets home.

djdister
24-Feb-2015, 13:35
If I get a impressively sized order of film in, I bag it up quickly and get it in the freezer before my wife gets home.

That's entirely understandable. :o

StoneNYC
24-Feb-2015, 13:48

Ahh! Now it makes sense!

Michael Cienfuegos
25-Feb-2015, 17:15

I don't have one of those, so no one to bitch at me when I put more film in the garage fridge. :cool:

Tobias Key
26-Feb-2015, 05:05
Probably need to check if this batch of film was made on the Friday afternoon after the Christmas party. In the 70's it was common to describe any particularly unreliable car as a 'Friday car' in the UK due to the English working man's fondness for a lunchtime drink on pay day. Never seen Friday film before though.

jp
26-Feb-2015, 06:31
I really don't want to get into comparing Ilford to British cars as I own two and know the stereotype well. I like Ilford more than that.