PDA

View Full Version : Anybody in SF Bay Area w/Linhof Technika Lens/Cam I could use to test camera?

Sizam
23-Feb-2015, 11:27
Hey All,
I'm looking at buying a Linhof Technika V but don't have any lens/cams yet and would like to make sure the camera's rangefinder works correctly which would obviously require a lens and cam. Anybody in the SF Bay Area have a setup that I could test the camera body against?

I'll bring over a couple beers :)

Sam

Oren Grad
23-Feb-2015, 11:57
Not clear exactly what test you have in mind, but remember that a proper test of the rangefinder requires not just a lens and a matching cam, but also that the infinity stops on the test camera be adjusted to the specific lens.

Sizam
23-Feb-2015, 12:21
Can one not calibrate the infinity stops themselves?

Oren Grad
23-Feb-2015, 13:47
Can one not calibrate the infinity stops themselves?

Yes. It takes a bit of care to do it properly, but if the seller will allow you to make the adjustments and will allow you enough time with the camera to make sure you're doing everything properly, then it should certainly be doable.

Sizam
23-Feb-2015, 14:35
Thanks for the tip Oren, I was actually ignorant of dealing w/the infinity stops before you mentioned it, looking into it further a) I now realize I want to find some infinity stops and b) this'll be harder than I initially thought :)

Bill_1856
23-Feb-2015, 15:05
To test the rangefinder, you don't really need a lens. Just insert a cam, and with the track extended all the way back, your rangefinder should show coincident images at infinity (great distance at least a mile away). as you roll the track forward, if the RF moves then it should be okay.

Bob Salomon
23-Feb-2015, 16:02
Thanks for the tip Oren, I was actually ignorant of dealing w/the infinity stops before you mentioned it, looking into it further a) I now realize I want to find some infinity stops and b) this'll be harder than I initially thought :)

Why? Just contact Bob Watkins at Precision or Rim at Nippon for Infinity Stops. They also have the focusing scales.

Check with Dan at Cameras West or the folks at Bear Images and they can teach you all about focusing with the Technika.