PDA

View Full Version : what shutter would you use?

Liquid Artist
23-Feb-2015, 00:31
I am toying with the idea of getting another Burke & James 5x7, with the full idea of rebuilding it and adding an internal shutter to compliment my growing collection of barrel lenses.

The question I have is what type of internal shutter would work the best.
Plus where would I find one available?

Thanks for all responses.

IanG
23-Feb-2015, 02:26
I'd use either a rear mounting Thornton Pickard or similar focal plane shutter, in the US Graflex shutters were available. Alternately I use smaller Thornton Pickard roller-blind shutters either on the front of the lens or between the lens & lens board.

Ian

winterclock
23-Feb-2015, 19:51
Packard shutters are available new and are designed to mount inside the bellows. A small hole needs to be made to route the hose through.

Dan Fromm
23-Feb-2015, 20:16
Look into the various vintages of Sinar shutters.

For curiosity, how large are your barrel lenses?

Liquid Artist
24-Feb-2015, 12:47
Thank you everyone,
I've done a little research, and so far the Sinar sounds best to me.
Although I do love the Packard I own, and the Thornton Pickard also sounds like a good choice.

Look into the various vintages of Sinar shutters.

For curiosity, how large are your barrel lenses?
I can't really answer that Dan, I have 6 to 8 of them at home 2000km from where I'm working.
This project is for when I'm finished on the iceroads.

They range from a 6" early 1900's brass lens to a more modern Schneider tele xenar 360mm.
I bought them all during a little $1000 spending spree both here and on ebay and haven't mounted any of them yet.

jp
24-Feb-2015, 13:07
Sinar is most flexible, but would be better on the front of the lensboard so you can adjust it. A focal plane shutter is most likely going to be 4x5 or 8x10. Haven't happened across a 5x7 yet. I have an old 8x10 one and the connection pins are slightly different than B&J's layout.