PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Mike Walker

Ted Harris
5-Jan-2005, 08:17
Does anyone know the whereabouts of Mike Walker? Is he on Holiday? Is he ok? I have been trying to reach him for several days for answers to some very specific questions regarding the Walker Titan SF. No answer at the shop and no response to my email.

One question a Walker Titan user here can likely answer -- I am trying out the camera and try as hard as I can I just cannot figure out how too remove the bellows from the rear standard! I am sure it is something dead simple and so obvious I am staring at it but I can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

Ted

George Hart
5-Jan-2005, 10:28
Ted, I can't answer your question as to where Mike is, but I live ~5 miles from him so if you still don't get an answer say next week, let me know and I'll drop by.

CXC
5-Jan-2005, 10:58
I interacted with Mike about 2-3 weeks ago.

To remove the bellows, all you have to do is remove the camera back, by releasing the two sliding fasteners at the top. The back is what holds the bellows in place, remove the back and then pull the bellows out to the rear. After twisting the two truncated knobs to release it from the front standard.

My Walker Titan has served me well, including trips to Burma and Iceland last year -- I'd be happy to address any other questions you might have. It is my main camera, and pretty much the only one I use since I discovered that it accommodates a 450mm lens, and fairly easily. My single complaint is that the magnet fastener is inadequate to hold the camera closed, I wish there was something like a hook-type fastener instead. Mike told me to tighten down the controls to hold it closed, but I'd rather just snap the thing closed somehow.

Richard Littlewood
5-Jan-2005, 11:00
Once the bellows are free from the front standard, they need to be removed from the back standard by first taking off the rotating back, then push the bellows through towards where the back was. There are a couple of 'tabs' retaining the bellows in the back, but all they need is a determined push. Once you have done it the once..etc..etc. I dont think you are in any danger of damaging anything.....all the best!

evan clarke
5-Jan-2005, 11:13
Mikw is building me a Titan and I corresponded with him just before Christmas (now known as "The Holidays")..Evan Clarke

Ted Harris
5-Jan-2005, 15:34
Richard & CXC,

Thanks! Simple of course, I just never thought of trying that. Meanwhile I am rapidly coming to like this camera very much and will post a review/some impressions of the Walker v the Ebony RW. Should get to that late tonight or tomorrow latest. Right now I am thawing out from shooting in 10-15 degrees F. The Walker worked better than its operater in those temperatures.

Richard Littlewood
6-Jan-2005, 02:33
Ted. I too am a great fan of the Walker Titan SF. I've tweaked mine a little in various ways so it works better for me, and with our wet windy climate. The best thing I did was sealing the frame of the ground glass holder between the frame and glass with black silicon. I had two seperate outings in wet weather and water managed to become trapped between glass and fresnel. It dosn't now! I also put a couple of springs on each of the front rise locking screws. This (to me) makes it better in use as it can be adjusted from under the cloth without the lens dropping down when they are loosened. I also glued a couple of plastic tabs to the bottom of the rear standard so a tube type focusing cloth latches on to 4 points, and wont come off even in really strong wind.
I think I've made a great camera even better!. Mike Walkers bag bellows with a few bellows pleats in them are brilliant, and using a 65mm lens is as easy as say a 210. The beauty of this camera is it's so rugged - and carrying it about keeps me fit!
Cheers. Richard

CXC
6-Jan-2005, 11:04
One other minor shortcoming occurs to me: it is very awkward to use a Titan with a lens in a Copal #3. I have a G-Claron 355mm which I bought to use with larger cameras; the lens needs to be positioned somewhat upside-down on the board to be able to work all the controls, and then just barely. Still, it works, and hopefully most people know better than to try a #3 with a 4x5.

But this is really nitpicking; it's the best and last camera I bought.

Ted Harris
6-Jan-2005, 14:55
CXC, got it! In fact I already figured that out when I went to mount my Nikkor 450M and realized I had to reposition the lens on the board if I wanted to use the front standard axis tilts.

I agree that it is the best field camera I have ever bought. There are others that do one thing or another better but on balance this is the absolute best. It sets up fast, locks down with ease and the controls all feel reasonably precise. It also looks good and I don;t worry about wacking it or banging it, etc. I really really really will do a 'review' that expands n the already existing writeup on the Large Format page. Just didn;t get to it today as I hoped I would. This camera needs to be beter known.

In my case I came to the Titan only after I had tried an Ebony RW45 and was much disappointed by same.

Bill Hahn
7-Jan-2005, 07:27
FWIW, I am another satisfied user of a Titan SF.

CXC
7-Jan-2005, 10:51
Ted,

I look forward to hearing about your disappointment in the Ebony camera. It will be a useful balance to all the ga-ga cheerleading I've heard.