PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get an 8x20 plate holder and film holders modified/made

Corran
19-Feb-2015, 13:19
Okay I gotta whip myself into shape here. A lot of projects that have been put on the back-burner that I need to get done before April for an event and this is one.

I bought an 8x20 last year and it turned out the holder it came with was a total dud. It was too wide for the back (the short dimension) so a planed and sanded it down. Now it fits but the rib on the holder isn't in the right place so the holder is cocked up on one side. I need this holder modified or the back modified with an extra channel for that rib. I also want one more holder made to fit as well as a plate holder for 8x20 for a project my friend and I are working on.

Who might be the best one-stop-shop for all three of these things? Preferably without costing an arm and a leg - :rolleyes: yes I know, that's crazy talk. Let's just say I'd prefer cheap to pretty (btw if you happen to have any 8x20 holders you would divest yourself of feel free to message me).

Thom Bennett
19-Feb-2015, 13:39
Richard Ritter tackled much these same issues for my 11x14 camera and holders. Quality work. http://www.lg4mat.net/

Corran
19-Feb-2015, 13:43
Thank you for reminding me of Mr. Ritter. Definitely will email him soon.

vinny
19-Feb-2015, 13:52
Richard is probably the only guy to do all that stuff. Not going to be cheap though. Have you seen what normal (not custom) 8x20 holders sell for?
Best of luck.

Andrew Plume
19-Feb-2015, 14:02
Bryan

yes, unfortunately it definitely will not be cheap and with RR being the go-to man for this sort of work, a deadline of April may not be possible

have you thought of, say, approaching Hugo Zhang to see if he can sell you an 8 x 20 back plus a couple of holders but if he can, then it will definitely not be low budget etc

good luck

andrew

Corran
19-Feb-2015, 14:07
Looking at the Chamonix custom plate holder costs I hadn't planned on emailing them. They don't have an 8x20 size but I can guess based on the sizes they list. Throwing away the back I have is not something I'm considering.

I know nothing will be "cheap" but mostly I'm not going to spring for the most expensive holders out there. I'd be happy to buy used ones if I can get them to fit.

Well if I can't get it by April it's not the end of the world. I am doing an event with some friends and might be shooting 4x5 and whole-plate tintypes / wet-plates. I thought setting up a couple of 8x20 tintypes of the whole crew of this event might be a really awesome final activity. But regardless, I need to get the film holder modded at the very least so I can stop having a big useless paperweight of an ULF camera.

Andrew Plume
19-Feb-2015, 14:14
ok

there's always these guys:

http://www.wetplatewagon.com/

andrew

Corran
19-Feb-2015, 14:24
Thanks, I will investigate them. The darkroom-in-a-box is pretty neat.

pierre506
19-Feb-2015, 14:51
Firstly I recommend Chamunix because I bought 20x20 WP holder for my 16x20 camera.
Secondly, I recommend another guy in Beijing. He made 8x10 and 16x20 holders for me.
The quality of holders above are reliable.

They are the 8x10~

lab black
19-Feb-2015, 18:34
Richard Ritter is an excellent resource. Alan Brubaker is also an extremely talented craftsman. His film holders are magnificent. In addition, he has expertly modified as well as repaired a few of my wood cameras.

Tin Can
19-Feb-2015, 18:42
Thank you for reminding me of Mr. Ritter. Definitely will email him soon.

Do not delay. RR is one man and this is now the busy season. He did a very good job for me with a Deardorff RR 11X14 Bail Back conversion and 5 11x14 new RR holders, over a year ago. Good price also. April is here already...

sanking
19-Feb-2015, 18:58
I don't believe you will find an expensive one-stop-shop for this, but it would actually be very easy to add a groove in your back to accept the rib-lock of the holder. Anyone with a table mounted router could do it in ten minutes, or you could probably do it yourself with a dremel and the right cutting tool.

Getting new holders will prove expensive wherever you get them, and as you have already learned, holders and backs don't always match so you might need some custom work here. If your holder is standard Korona or F&S you might be able to find used film or plate holders.

Sandy

Corran
19-Feb-2015, 19:49
Yeah I've been looking for some used holders, with no luck. Well actually, I did find a used holder on eBay advertised as "9x20," which I assume was just a mis-measured holder, but I just missed out on it (for $90 :().

The back I have was cut down from a 12x20 back, from what I understand.

One of the other projects for this camera is getting a 305mm f/9 G-Claron, an older Dagor model, mounted to a Compur #2 shutter I have ready (it needs a small amount of modification). Already have a Nikkor-M 450mm f/9 for it though.

Bruce Barlow
20-Feb-2015, 00:01
Richard can probably do the lens mounting, too.

Pete Roody
20-Feb-2015, 07:56
Richard modified an 8x20 Deardorff back so that current 8x20 holders would fit. He moved the position of the rib-lock. I am sure he could adjust the back of your camera for any holder.

jodyake
1-Mar-2015, 00:38
I make wet plate holders and I made an 8x20 custom holder a few months ago. It just so happens that I made two.130069

Tin Can
1-Mar-2015, 01:44
I make wet plate holders and I made an 8x20 custom holder a few months ago. It just so happens that I made two.130069

If you are trying to sell that, please post it in the FOR SALE threads.

Thank you!

Corran
1-Mar-2015, 01:51
I am talking to jodyake directly through PM's and emails.

jodyake
1-Mar-2015, 01:54
just trying to help the OP out Randy. my mailbox was full Corran. please resend that last msg.

Tin Can
1-Mar-2015, 02:00
I am talking to jodyake directly through PM's and emails.

Good Bryan, I was hoping you saw this in time, I had forgotten who wanted what.

I hope one day to buy a Jody Ake holder. His reputation is excellent.

e
1-Mar-2015, 22:15
How about S&S filmholders...

Tin Can
1-Mar-2015, 23:48

No longer made, I believe.

StoneNYC
1-Mar-2015, 23:48

He isn't making new holders at this time.

Corran
1-Mar-2015, 23:53
I didn't know S&S weren't making holders.
I guess it's good that I've reserved the one 8x20 S&S holder that RR has in stock!!

My back is off to him tomorrow.

http://www.oceanstarproductions.com/photosharing/82p.jpg

My tax return is already spent, sigh...

StoneNYC
1-Mar-2015, 23:57
I didn't know S&S weren't making holders.
I guess it's good that I've reserved the one 8x20 S&S holder that RR has in stock!!

My back is off to him tomorrow.

http://www.oceanstarproductions.com/photosharing/82p.jpg

My tax return is already spent, sigh...

I'm told whatever is left in stock is it. To my recollection it was only like 11x14 and 14x17 or something and that was basically it. But could be he didn't mention pano-ish holders because I didn't ask about them. Best to go to the site and contact.

There's always Chamonix ;)