PDA

View Full Version : Conley camera restoration.

peebs
18-Feb-2015, 14:03
Hey out there...
I acquired an old Conley camera a while back. I thought it was 8x10 but now I think it's really 61/2 x81/2. Needs a new bellows and a little tcl but is otherwise sound. Is it worth restoring and what can I do with it if I do? I already shoot 4x5 by the way.
Thanks

Michael Roberts
18-Feb-2015, 21:18
Yes, of course it is worth restoring! which version is it--the wooden tailboard or the self-encasing, leather covered?

In addition to shooting full plate, you could make a 5x7 back or an 8x10 back (or both).

peebs
19-Feb-2015, 08:34
Thanks for the reply! This is an all wood model with rear movements. I would need a little help / direction on building the other backs, so... HELP!! Any post or videos on how to do this out there?
Thanks

Michael Roberts
19-Feb-2015, 13:17
Give me a day or so and I will put up a new thread on building camera backs and adapter backs in the DIY forum.

peebs
19-Feb-2015, 15:25
Thanks Michael. I'm going to tackle the bellows first. That ought to be fun and I have found a couple good websites for that. I see you're from wondervu. I'm in Loveland up north of you.

Michael Roberts
19-Feb-2015, 21:01
Great--close enough to meet up.

peebs
21-Feb-2015, 18:39
Hey Micael, how much snow you got. I'm about to start on my bellows pattern and paper model with about 9 inches on the ground.

Michael Roberts
21-Feb-2015, 22:11
A foot of new powder on top of about 8 inches already on the ground.
Good luck with that bellows.
I'll post some info on backs in the morning.

peebs
21-Feb-2015, 22:35
Thanks

Regular Rod
22-Feb-2015, 06:41
Hey out there...
I acquired an old Conley camera a while back. I thought it was 8x10 but now I think it's really 61/2 x81/2. Needs a new bellows and a little tcl but is otherwise sound. Is it worth restoring and what can I do with it if I do? I already shoot 4x5 by the way.
Thanks

6½x8½ or "whole plate" is a fantastic format. Ansel Adams even said it was his favourite format. You can get the film in ILFORD HP5 Plus, FP4 Plus and Delta 100.

RR

Michael Roberts
22-Feb-2015, 11:49
peebs, I got the post started in the DIY section. I'll add to it when I can get to the PC my wife has claimed for the weekend....

I think the whole plate sized camera will also work great with a 5x7 reducing back. The 5x7 will give you a whole lot more options for film and holders and developing equipment (hangers, etc.) are a lot more available than whole plate size....

peebs
23-Feb-2015, 20:15
Thanks Michael and all others. I like the idea of a 5x7 back and had no idea that whole plate film was offered by anyone. Going to the DIY area right now!