PDA

View Full Version : CARL ZEISS JENA TESAR 4,5/360 (vs. Schneider Kreuznach 360mm Symmar 5:6/360mm)

stiganas
18-Feb-2015, 12:53
I found in Bucharest shops some forgotten CARL ZEISS JENA TESAR 4,5/360 and 4,5/300.

The lenses are mint (new in box) with flange and the price is app. 150USD and 125USD. I am very tempted, the price seems low and the glass is huge and beautiful.

but:

- the lens are in barrel - no shutter
- I already have a Schneider Kreuznach 360mm Symmar 5:6/360mm (on the way from France) and a Nikkor-W 300/5.6 both in shutter.

So, I'm asking:
- it is a good idea to buy those lenses (or only one) ?
- the image will be different enough (compared with Schneider and Nikkor) ?
- how can I practically use those lenses without a shutter ?

I am just a hobbyist and shoot mainly portraits of friends with an Agfa Ansco 8x10 (and 4x5, 5x7).

Thank you, Stefan

SergeiR
18-Feb-2015, 13:48
Image will be different from Plasmats you getting. Tessars are older formula and different character. If you like a bit softer-ish look - you might wanna grab one of those. I'd go with 360, but its up to you.

But then for soft look you might use your Symmar, judging from aperture it is convertible one, isn't it?

jp
18-Feb-2015, 18:05
Tessars are cheap and really good. You'd probably want a shutter. For 1 speed + bulb, a packard shutter is most common. If you work in low light, a cap or darkslide is adequate low speed shutter. For more light, you'd have to rig up something.

stiganas
19-Feb-2015, 05:57
Thank you. The lens are huge, only the cap or the darkslide seems practical, the Compound 5 look small. Maybe I can use paper negatives or Arista Ortho Lithro Film, slow enough to have exposures in seconds. The Xray film (my favorite for the moment) is fast.

Yes the 360mm Schneider is convertible but I think the bellow draw is huge. I played with a 135mm Symnar convertible and converted (to 210) was almost at the limit of my Cambo.

stiganas
20-Feb-2015, 12:39
I bought both lenses. The big one is new the other one is like new mounted on a board.

I was thinking to use a variable ND filter (to bring the exposure time in the seconds zone) and a cap/darkslide as a shutter. I have to think over. At this size the filter (the cheap ones) cost more than the lens.

Even the lensboard could cost as much as the lens.

djdister
20-Feb-2015, 13:25
I bought both lenses. The big one is new the other one is like new mounted on a board.
I was thinking to use a variable ND filter (to bring the exposure time in the seconds zone) and a cap/darkslide as a shutter. I have to think over. At this size the filter (the cheap ones) cost more than the lens.

Even the lensboard could cost as much as the lens.

They look to be in beautiful condition - congratulations!
You should consider a packard shutter like JP mentions - large ones don't cost that much more than small ones.

jp
20-Feb-2015, 15:21
Variable ND filters are obscenely expensive. Normal ND filters are cheap commodity items which could get you some flexibility. A bit of a pain since they are hard to eyeball focus through.

stiganas
21-Feb-2015, 09:03
I am not familiar with the filters. All I have are some UV/Sky for protection. Can you give a link to some normal affordable ND filters?

I'll keep an eye open for a big enough Packard Shutter.

Thank you, Stefan

Variable ND filters are obscenely expensive. Normal ND filters are cheap commodity items which could get you some flexibility. A bit of a pain since they are hard to eyeball focus through.

jp
21-Feb-2015, 09:07
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Neutral-Density-Filter-Compatible/dp/B00A7U15V6/

versus $100+ for a variable nd filter (which will be hard to meter with unless using a camera with TTL metering which isn't us)

stiganas
21-Feb-2015, 09:12
Thank you.

I wish I could find a set like this for 105mm filters (this is for the 360mm lens) or at least 95 (for the 300mm).

versus $100+ for a variable nd filter (which will be hard to meter with unless using a camera with TTL metering which isn't us)

SergeiR
21-Feb-2015, 18:07

variable ND is trivial to measure actually. All you need is light meter/flash meter for it - just put it on top of meter and dial it in ;).
However some of variable ones seems to have issues with producing cross in the image at full lock position. Something to be wary about.

Oh and there is entire crop of cheap ones. I have 82 (i think) mm one that i got for like 40$ or so.

stiganas
22-Feb-2015, 02:09
Thank you Sergei. Love your work on Xray film. In fact I have no plan of using any regular film in large format (except 4x5/9x12).

I use light meter for iphone and for now I am happy with it, I can measure with the iphone through the filter. I also found the cheap variable ND filters but only is small sizes, I am still searching for a cheap ND filter (variable or not) in the 105/95 size. I am not very concerned about quality. Maybe I'll make some filters myself from exposed/developed xray film.

As a side note generally people seem concerned about quality of the filters (don't put a 3USD filter on a 500 USD lens) but scratches/bubbles/separation/fungus/dust/haze on the lens is perfectly acceptable, "does not effect image" :)

variable ND is trivial to measure actually. All you need is light meter/flash meter for it - just put it on top of meter and dial it in ;).
However some of variable ones seems to have issues with producing cross in the image at full lock position. Something to be wary about.

Oh and there is entire crop of cheap ones. I have 82 (i think) mm one that i got for like 40$ or so.

jp
22-Feb-2015, 06:07
As a side note generally people seem concerned about quality of the filters (don't put a 3USD filter on a 500 USD lens) but scratches/bubbles/separation/fungus/dust/haze on the lens is perfectly acceptable, "does not effect image" :)

Because lenses are our golden calf.

Ken Lee
22-Feb-2015, 08:03
lenses are our golden calf.

Brilliant !

stiganas
22-Feb-2015, 12:53
Can't argue with this.

Because lenses are our golden calf.

stiganas
3-Mar-2015, 11:27
I kept the 300mm Tessar and I gave the 360mm to a nice gentleman from this forum. I'll try to mate the 300mm with a Compund 5 shutter, the 360mm was to big.

There is one more CARL ZEISS JENA TESSAR 4,5/300 in Bucharest.

If someone want (to use) this lens (no extra charge just the price from the shop and the shipping) I'll be glad to help.