PDA

View Full Version : Lens hood for 90mm SA not rubber.

RodinalDuchamp
18-Feb-2015, 09:39
I bought a rubber lens hood for my SA but even pushed back in all the way I have gotten several negatives with cut off corners. I'd much rather buy a metal hood that will work properly but I can't seem to find any. Well I did see one on Schneider's site but it claims to work with a max 70* field of view and the 90mm SA I believe is 105*

Bob Salomon
18-Feb-2015, 09:49
What you need is a compendium, not a rigid hood. Especially if you will be doing movements.

RodinalDuchamp
18-Feb-2015, 17:03
Thanks. I will have to go sans anything for the time being. Luckily this lens has proven very resistant to flare so far ::knock on wood::

Doremus Scudder
19-Feb-2015, 03:58
They're getting hard to find, but the old Voss filter holders with the barn doors will work if you only need shielding from two directions. It has a metal spring that holds it on the lens and can rotate to position the barn doors vertically, horizontally or in between. You can't have mine :)

Compendium bellows are great, but often unwieldy in the field. I often end up using my hat or a darkslide to shade the lens.

Best,

Doremus

vinny
19-Feb-2015, 05:41
Google barn door lens hood. There's a thread on it here as well
A french flag which mounts in a cold shoe will be helpful as well, especially when attempting to compose a shot with the sun hitting the lens.

hiend61
21-Feb-2015, 05:42
I bought a rubber lens hood for my SA but even pushed back in all the way I have gotten several negatives with cut off corners. I'd much rather buy a metal hood that will work properly but I can't seem to find any. Well I did see one on Schneider's site but it claims to work with a max 70* field of view and the 90mm SA I believe is 105*

The lens hood you have seen on Schneiderīs site is the B+W metal wide angle lens hood model 970. I have one of this in 105mm size, and I use it on a Super Angulon 90 XL with a 95-105 adapter and it works, even when I use this lens in 5x7. I also use this lens hood on a push-on 100mm Lee Foundation Kit with a 105mm Lee Adapter ring. In this case you have to be careful with vignetting if use more than one filter or a polarizing filter. with standard Lee Foundation kit, wide angle adapter rings are mandatory. An articulated arm like the "Wigly worm" sold at www.robertwhite.co.uk with a 4x5 black card can also make a good job.

Rafal Lukawiecki
21-Feb-2015, 06:03
Do you gents check for vignetting, using the cut-off ground glass corners? I thought I was doing it the right way, looking for the shape of the aperture, but I have just processed a batch of negatives and yes, I've got some vignetted. I was using a Hama rubber hood, similar to the one pictured in this thread, kind of bending it into shape to counter the effect of the movements. I guess I must have rushed, or moved the hood after checking...