PDA

View Full Version : Paterson Print washer 11 x 14 questions

norm the storm
18-Feb-2015, 06:51
I'm writing to you today just because I got this washer 2 weeks ago. The thuster (plunger) was missing and I got one yesterday from Paterson. I'm not convinced about the effectiveness of washing. The hole in the thruster is so small....it takes a long time to fill the tank. What time is supposed to take to change water completely during washing? Is the moving part of the plunger supposed to move back and forth during washing and hit the cradle? What is the frequency? I opened tap, the water come in the tank but there is no movments back and forth. I'll try more experimentations during weekend.

Any more tips are welcomed.

Regards

Doremus Scudder
19-Feb-2015, 03:50
Since no one as answered so far, I'll chime in.

I use a Paterson 11x14 washer with good results after a small modification.

First to your questions: Yes, the plunger and the little ball assembly should agitate the paper rack by giving it a little shove. The rack is pushed forward, the plunger extends allowing water to flow. As the rack falls back, it pushes the plunger in till the water is shut off. At that point the water pressure gives the rack a push and the entire process repeats.

I didn't like the fact that the water only enters from the back of the washer, so I simply ran a small length of tubing with some holes drilled in it and one end blocked along the top of the washer. It sprays water evenly over the surface of the water and thereby adds a bit of water flow in the front of the washer. My prints pass residual hypo tests just fine.

I'm attaching the instructions for the Paterson washer in case you don't have them.

Doremus

norm the storm
20-Feb-2015, 06:34
Since no one as answered so far, I'll chime in.

I use a Paterson 11x14 washer with good results after a small modification.

First to your questions: Yes, the plunger and the little ball assembly should agitate the paper rack by giving it a little shove. The rack is pushed forward, the plunger extends allowing water to flow. As the rack falls back, it pushes the plunger in till the water is shut off. At that point the water pressure gives the rack a push and the entire process repeats.

I didn't like the fact that the water only enters from the back of the washer, so I simply ran a small length of tubing with some holes drilled in it and one end blocked along the top of the washer. It sprays water evenly over the surface of the water and thereby adds a bit of water flow in the front of the washer. My prints pass residual hypo tests just fine.

I'm attaching the instructions for the Paterson washer in case you don't have them.

Doremus

Thank you for answering. I have the instructions. I will make more tests and use residual hypo tests. For what I saw, if the flow is too strong, the adaptor blow off the tap. If the flow is not too strong for the adaptor, it will take a long time to change water in the tank. Any way, I'll try my best to do something functionnal.

BTW I posted this question on your Web site. So, ignore it.....Your work is stunning! Bravo!

Thank you again.

ac12
20-Feb-2015, 17:07
When I used mine, I would fill it with a separate hose, so it would not take half of forever to fill the tank.

I gave up on the slip on tap adapter and replaced it with a threaded adapter. The slip on adapter used to blow off before I got enough pressure flow to rock the rack.
I would CAREFULLY set the water flow, gradually increasing until I just get the cradle/rack rocking, then STOP.

I think the design theory of that washer was that agitation of the print was more important to getting fixer out of the fiber paper than water flow. Hence the low water flow rate.

Doremus Scudder
21-Feb-2015, 01:37
Thank you for answering. ...

BTW I posted this question on your Web site. So, ignore it.....Your work is stunning! Bravo!

Thank you again.

Norm,

Thank you very much!

As to water flow. It really doesn't take too much to wash prints well, but I was skeptical of the volume flowing through the Paterson as well. My solution to both the low-flow and possible uneven flow was the extra perforated hose I described above.

As for the agitation: yes you do need to control the water flow. It doesn't take much to get the basket rocking. Don't just turn on the tap full blast or you'll blow the hose or the plunger off!

Best,

Doremus