PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Lens Library?

cyrus
16-Feb-2015, 17:35
I've got a couple of interesting ULF lenses that I'm selling for a bunch o money so I've rejected a few offers from people whose work I very much appreciate and would love to contribute to if I could. Including by letting them borrow my lenses, with some sort of certainty of receiving them back in good shape,

So I thought, why dont we set up some sort of virtual lens library, where people can lend/borrow lenses for short term projects. We'd have to figure out some sort of system (such as deposits) to ensure the the process works but I dont see why that should be an insurmountable problem amongst professionals of good faith who may know each other or get to know each other this way

Jac@stafford.net
16-Feb-2015, 18:01
It might work if there were an enforceable contract and a deposit to make it so. Good faith doesn't means squat. Look to the thief who offers to make Deardorffs. (I've no idea why he hasn't been sued yet, or visited by Guido Carosella who will not leave until the camera is made and shipped.)

cyrus
16-Feb-2015, 19:02
How do libraries do it?

Or, people could trust each other.

*sigh* maybe

Seriously, there are reputation management methods. We could start out small, with cheaper lenses. If we want to be an LF "community" this is how.

cyrus
16-Feb-2015, 19:12
Here is an interesting project and question: How much are you willing to trust another human being, dollar-wise, to give them something and expect it to be returned safely, based on no collateral or deposit, but just good old fashion ed goddamned trust?

I think I would be willing to risk a $150 lens for someone whose work I apprcisted and was obviously a pro. To start.. Thats equivalent to an few lenses in value, no?

cyrus
16-Feb-2015, 19:25
Photographic or artistic co ops are not new, no reason why a co op could not operate virtually. I suppose there's not enough demand for lenses though to justify such efforts, yet.

Jac@stafford.net
16-Feb-2015, 19:33
Seriously, there are reputation management methods. We could start out small, with cheaper lenses. If we want to be an LF "community" this is how.

Reputation management (http://www.reputationmanagementconsultants.com/?escampaign&gclid=CjwKEAiAx4anBRDz6JLYjMDxoQYSJAA4loRmmxz09bVM8jFRZd2t8LVvIk8_PQQIFnHMFE2aK_JAchoCkOzw_wcB)is a big industry on the 'net. You can purchase any level you wish.

I have loaned lenses, and in a few cases given equipment away, mainly to people here, but only after knowing they were highly reputable, and an exceedingly rare few.

Fugedaboudit otherwise.

cyrus
16-Feb-2015, 19:39
Well, seems to me that in any sort of arrangement, you'd be free to pick and choose whom you trust and with what.

I'm sure if we all look around, we can find a lens or two that is sorta "extra" that we can risk. Why not start small?

Instead of forgetting about it, why not build trust?

Hugo Zhang
16-Feb-2015, 20:34
who would want to borrow a few lenses worth $150?

cyrus
16-Feb-2015, 21:37
People who want to start building trust relations so they can later borrow lend lenses worth 1500 ��

It's suposed to be fun, guys, remember? You can play around with a lens no big deal, doesn't have to be such a huge business decision. The system doesn't force you to trust, its up to you to pick.

cyrus
16-Feb-2015, 21:45
For example I would trust a pretty expensive lens to Galli, not much deposit required. There are several other members whom I would trust a bit less or more.

Bill Burk
16-Feb-2015, 21:47
I was thinking about borrowing an 8.5cm Protar, because I wanted to experiment with some Bill Brandt looks, but don't plan on it being long-term enough to justify outright buying.

And I have no qualms recommending myself, trustworthiness-wise. I'd just be overly concerned about shipping damage. It would devastate me to get the lens in great condition, finish my project and then find out the return voyage ruined the lens.

So I don't know if lending lenses would be a good idea.

brucetaylor
16-Feb-2015, 22:32
I rented out my motion picture equipment for a number of years, mostly to students and people working on personal projects. I almost never had a problem (nothing was unresolved), and the gear was returned promptly. Of course I required insurance, but for a lens library a credit card deposit should suffice and there would surely be a vetting process of some kind. To prevent shipping damage a proper case (pelican or similar) would need to be supplied with the lens. If someone wanted to volunteer to administrate it would probably work.

Paul Cunningham
17-Feb-2015, 00:44
I think it's a lovely idea and proposed something similar in my home area Seattle/Portland for Nikon (SLR) lenses. I was dismayed at how quickly people rushed in to shoot the idea down. I didn't press the matter, but it seemed like an interesting idea.

cyrus
17-Feb-2015, 13:39
I was dismayed at how quickly people rushed in to shoot the idea down.

Well it is always easy to come up with reasons why something won't work, the point is to think of ways of making things DO work.

Many years ago we LF members got together -- virtually -- and published a book of our works. Frank Petrino was kind enough to take care of the technical stuff, which was a challenge, and I simply collected and forwarded the works via email. It turned out great. There were naysayers but we decided right off the bat that we would only discuss how it could be done, not why it can't. And we did it.

cyrus
17-Feb-2015, 13:42
I'd just be overly concerned about shipping damage. I

The risk of shipping damage can be managed with insurance. Surely in this day and age when people are shipping things all over, this cannot be the biggest hurdle?

In any case if people start out with less expensive/heavy/delicate lenses, they can choose to risk more expensive ones, or not. :)

We don't really have to limit this to lenses either.

cyrus
17-Feb-2015, 13:49
SO, how about "Lend/Borrow" forum next to the Buy/Sell forum? Let the parties then decide their own deposit etc arrangements. Maybe Bill Burk would find someone willing to lend him a Protar that way much more efficiently. I'm sure there are a few things we'd all like to borrow if we could, and people willing to lend them. Laser aligners?

Jim C.
17-Feb-2015, 15:03
Didn't Richard Rankin do this a while back ?
I can't seem to find the thread in the for sale section, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.
I don't know how it all worked out.

Jim Galli
17-Feb-2015, 20:17
Didn't Richard Rankin do this a while back ?
I can't seem to find the thread in the for sale section, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.
I don't know how it all worked out.

Yes, and I never heard anything but positive comments. He also sold some of the lenses to folks who got them and decided they couldn't live without such a lens.

David R Munson
18-Feb-2015, 01:24
The practical considerations are the big obstacle, but in principle I'm all for this.

goamules
18-Feb-2015, 05:39
Yes, libraries loan books, and jet-ski and snow ski shops rent equipment. Hollywood companies rent movie cameras. The difference is they own the items that are loaned. Libraries pay for their inventory through benefactors or taxes. Rental companies through private enterprise. Who would pay for the lenses to be inventoried to loan?

Jim Andrada
18-Feb-2015, 09:35
Hi Garrett

As I understand the OP's idea, those of us who already own the lenses (and have presumably paid for them) would be loaning them out.

Jim Galli
18-Feb-2015, 09:49
Hi Garrett

As I understand the OP's idea, those of us who already own the lenses (and have presumably paid for them) would be loaning them out.

It could be as easy as someone setting up a database here where the loans are arranged, tracked, and reported on, then finalized positive or negatively.

goamules
18-Feb-2015, 10:03
Hi Garrett

Yep, that's what I thought. It was my attempt at Socratic debate, but I am too busy to continue it.