PDA

View Full Version : The Case of the Banded Negatives

Pawlowski6132
16-Feb-2015, 15:09
So, I am getting some banding on my negatives. I don't recall this issue coming up before. Below are the facts of the case. Any thoughts?

All ten negatives have the same issue in the same location
HP5 400
Used five different film holders for all ten negatives
Unicolor Drum on Rotary Base
Developed four at a time using HC110 B
Kodak Stop, Fix, Heico, Photoflo

Liquid Artist
16-Feb-2015, 19:34
My guess would be a faulty batch of film, however I'd try at least 1 more shot using another batch of film but same camera, lens board, lens, etc just to be certain.

For that mater, I'd also try another source for the film. If it was somehow mishandled there it could happen again.

ic-racer
16-Feb-2015, 20:17
Are those dots showing up on all the frames? Why or how is the rebate getting exposed?

Taija71A
16-Feb-2015, 21:52
__

Hi Joe!

It is 'Tim'.
'Long Time... No See!' :)
--
If you would 'like'... Please feel free to send me a PM.
I am pretty sure... What you/or someone else... 'Accidentally' did!
--
'No Big Deal'. We all make mistakes...
*Don't worry Joe. Your situation is easily remedied. (And could be much worse!)

Best Regards.

Doremus Scudder
17-Feb-2015, 05:17
__

Hi Joe! ...
--
If you would 'like'... Please feel free to send me a PM.
I am pretty sure... What you/or someone else... 'Accidentally' did!
--
'No Big Deal'. We all make mistakes...
*Don't worry Joe. Your situation is easily remedied. (And could be much worse!)

Best Regards.

Tim,

How about sharing with the rest of us? Why so secretive? This is a public forum after all, and others may have the same problem; your diagnosis, if correct, could help them too.

FWIW, it looks to me as if the negatives could be light-struck. A pinhole in the bellows, bellows not attached properly, back pulled away or not properly seated, etc.

I would seriously doubt that HP-5 would be defective. If you suspect that, develop an unexposed sheet.

Best,

Doremus

djdister
17-Feb-2015, 05:26
Looks like a film processing problem - the film temporarily stuck to other sheets of film or the container during some part (not all) of the development or fixing steps, leaving areas of uneven development or clearing.

Jac@stafford.net
17-Feb-2015, 07:15
When the artifacts are in the same place on each film I suspect a physical problem, most likely in the camera, possibly at the lens board.

vinny
17-Feb-2015, 07:25
Are those dots showing up on all the frames? Why or how is the rebate getting exposed?

he took his snapshots with the film still in the hangers he must be using for washing.

Pawlowski6132
17-Feb-2015, 07:29
he took his snapshots with the film still in the hangers he must be using for washing.

Thanx Vinny. Yes, that's correct.

Pawlowski6132
17-Feb-2015, 07:32
Looks like a film processing problem - the film temporarily stuck to other sheets of film or the container during some part (not all) of the development or fixing steps, leaving areas of uneven development or clearing.

I thought that too at first but, every piece of film had the same issue in the same place.

Taija71A
17-Feb-2015, 07:39
... How about sharing with the rest of us? Why so secretive?

and the rest of us do not?
__

Doremus and Marty... Joe is a good friend. :)

Therefore, I felt at least 'initially'... That he Deserved the 'respect and consideration' of a PM or Telephone Call -- In this situation.

But, if you perhaps cannot understand this 'simple' premise...

... with the film still in the hangers...
__

Correct.
But since... The 'Cat is Now Out of the Bag' -- It is all a 'Moot' point.
--

-Tim.
________

Jmarmck
17-Feb-2015, 07:43
and the rest of us do not?

djdister
17-Feb-2015, 07:53
The shots provided do not lend themselves very well to careful analysis. It looks like the negative shots are of two different negs, whereas the positive shots are of the same frame. Is that the case?

Jmarmck
17-Feb-2015, 08:14
The first neg is flipped horizontally. The positive image shows a fairly sharp edge toward the bottom of the right pepper. To me it suggests a light leak perhaps from a bad seal between the lens board and the standard. What camera is this?

djdister
17-Feb-2015, 08:24
Well, I flipped the second negative shot and when displayed side by side with the first neg, they do not look like the same negative. There appear to be differences in the banding and a scratch in one neg that is not in the other. Would the OP please clarify?

Jim Noel
17-Feb-2015, 08:33
Definitely a light leak, most likely along the edge of the lens board.

Jeff Dexheimer
17-Feb-2015, 08:35
Looks like a bellows problem to me. Check that your bellows are light tight.

Ken Lee
17-Feb-2015, 09:05
http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/SqueezeBack.jpg

If it's a light leak, one source can be the rear of the camera coming slightly ajar while the photographer removes and replaces the dark slide.

Do you hold the film back tightly with your thumb to prevent this ?

djdister
17-Feb-2015, 09:05
It's not a light leak from the bellows or lens board, because the spread of the light in the affected areas does not conform to a light leak. Here is an example of a light leak from the bellows/rear standard area at the rear of the camera, shown starting at the lower left corner in negative and positive versions:

129361 129362

If any kind of light leak caused this, it was in the processing drum.

Taija71A
17-Feb-2015, 09:11
__

Everybody, before this thread perhaps goes on 'too far'... :D

Please see Post #9. Thank-you!
--
Best regards,

-Tim.
_________

Jmarmck
17-Feb-2015, 09:42
I fail to see how this solves the problem.

Fred L
17-Feb-2015, 09:54
Shoot a few sheets in portrait orientation and see if the problem persists. The hanger holes have nothing to do with the issue at hand afaik

Tim Meisburger
17-Feb-2015, 16:44
Did you fly with the film? I left film in my checked luggage one time and it was all banded from the luggage x-ray machine. That looks like x-ray banding to me.

Liquid Artist
19-Feb-2015, 02:54
Did you fly with the film? I left film in my checked luggage one time and it was all banded from the luggage x-ray machine. That looks like x-ray banding to me.

That is what I thought, and why I posted defective film.

The reason why I suggested a different supplier is just in cast their shipper x-rays their packages.