PDA

View Full Version : Storing (mostly expired film) whilst backpacking in South America

brightmatter
12-Feb-2015, 09:10
Hi everyone,
I'll be jetting off to South America in a couple of days and intend to bring my 4x5 and a selection of films (mostly colour i.e. Portra 100T, Fuji 160NS, Astia 100F) which are mostly expired so I was wondering what the best way would be to keep they relatively cool? Obviously at home I stick 'em in the freezer but I definitely won't always (or maybe never) have access to that on my trip so what would you recommend I do? Maybe put them in an insulated lunch bag? How much damage would 4-5 months out of the freezer do to these films? (bearing in mind the Portra expired in 2008 and the Astia in 2013.)
Thanks for any advice you can give!
Rowan

John Kasaian
12-Feb-2015, 09:15
Why spend all that loot on travel and then trust your images to expired film? Especially expired color film?

brightmatter
12-Feb-2015, 09:16
Why spend all that loot on travel and then trust your images to expired film? Especially expired color film?

Um, because that's the only type of Astia and Portra 100T as far as I know! I'll bring some in-date 160NS and Portra 400 but I prefer the tonality of the aforementioned two.

Drew Wiley
12-Feb-2015, 10:01
Well that isn't exactly ancient film, but still, if it's on the edge and going to get a lot of heat, why gamble? But you can use foil "freezer" bags. The best insulation
I ever found was my goosedown jacket. I'd come down from the mtns with my filmholder box still wrapped in it, go out into hot desert, and the film holders would
still be downright cold to the touch all day. Had to acclimate them first. This would even keep a can of soda or bottle of beer cold all day in 105 deg heat, even better than an icebox. If a down coat is too big, you could take a true down hat. Just make sure it doesn't leak a lot of down or lint.

RSalles
12-Feb-2015, 10:26
Double zip-locked, a rigid plastic ice box - common for sale here in Brazil - and a small piece of ice bar (ice cubs melts too fast in these days.

Cheers,

vinny
12-Feb-2015, 10:30
Unless you're stopping to get ice every day, don't worry about it. Eventually, everything in your pack will reach the ambient temperature no matter what you put the film in.

Richard Wasserman
12-Feb-2015, 10:30
Since you're asking, I need to ask in return why you are taking so many different films? Just sounds needlessly confusing. If this was my trip I would take one type of film and a fresh batch. I like things simple—less to think about which allows more energy for creativity and deeper seeing.

brightmatter
12-Feb-2015, 10:36
Since you're asking, I need to ask in return why you are taking so many different films? Just sounds needlessly confusing. If this was my trip I would take one type of film and a fresh batch. I like things simple—less to think about which allows more energy for creativity and deeper seeing.
I see your point but I'll be travelling up through San Francisco and New York as well so I need a little variety in films. Maybe I'll just stick to the Astia and Portra. Hard decision really to choose which to take!

Nathan Potter
12-Feb-2015, 11:25
Astia and Portra a good choice. If the film was stored frozen prior to the trip even at seven years of age there will be a slight color balance shift with possibly a bit more if kept at room temperature for the several months during your trip. I've used Astia with exp. date of 2004 recently (kept frozen) and easily compensated for the color shift using PS. My trips are often for 4 months at a time. However when using old color that exhibits some shift I mostly use PS and Inkjet printing. I can also compensate using CC filtration when making Ilfochrome prints.

I'll add too that color rendition of a scene is somewhat arbitrary so I think you'll be OK.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

brightmatter
12-Feb-2015, 14:01
Thanks for the tips everyone! I'm gonna put a few boxes (double ziplocked) in a small cool bag with two mini freezeboards (which I'll stick in any freezer I happen to come across!) and then put that in my backpack. The film won't be cold the whole time, but it won't be (fingers crossed) hot either.

hoffner
12-Feb-2015, 15:09
Hi everyone,
How much damage would 4-5 months out of the freezer do to these films? (bearing in mind the Portra expired in 2008 and the Astia in 2013.)
Thanks for any advice you can give!
Rowan

Believe me, there is only one way to know - take pictures with the film. A hint - best on a trip you cannot repeat again. Like that you will never forget the results.