PDA

View Full Version : Tripod Maintenance

Bill Kumpf
12-Feb-2015, 08:33
I recently received a Majestic 4800 model tripod with a 1400 model head. It should be a good match for my C1 8x10.

It was in storage for several years and need a major cleaning and lubrication. What is the best method to restore this unit? Is there a "Owners Manual" available?

Thanks.

Luis-F-S
12-Feb-2015, 09:10
It's a tripod. Clean it & lubricate with lithium grease.

Peter De Smidt
12-Feb-2015, 10:20
I prefer a silicone grease, such as Super Lube.

Jim C.
12-Feb-2015, 12:00
How bad is it ? The gear head is pretty much maintenance free unless it's been submerged in water and it seems like the one you have is
a later model. I had resurrected an older Majestic tripod with water damage and seized telescoping legs and the gear head was fine, I took it apart any way to do a full
clean, lube and repaint. The seized legs were a chore to get apart, especially the roll pin that holds the legs to the center column casting, I think the 1400's have a
machine screw and lock nuts, I lubed the legs after cleaning the tubes with scotchbrite pads with WD-40.

Bill Kumpf
12-Feb-2015, 12:39
The unit is pretty clean. It is fully functional. The only damage are three of the six leg stabilizers are broke. I think replacements can be fabricated fairly easily.
The gear head motion is stiff with the lubrication caked. It should be taken apart, clean and lubed. The leg set just needs a light cleaning.

You are correct. The legs are attached with machine screws and nuts.

I did call Bencher. They recommended cleaning with alcohol and adding a light oil for lubrication. They had no specific recommendations for lubing the gear head.

The Calumet C1 looks good on it.

Jim C.
12-Feb-2015, 16:13
I'd see what bencher wants for replacement stabilizers versus making your own, they're basically aluminum strips.
It might be cheaper than DIY unless you have the tools.

I you're going by what's around the crank handle and the worm gear hole in the front, that's not a good indication
that the grease inside has solidified. Take the gear head off and look inside thru the gear heads column mount
to see if the grease is solid I used a tongue depressor to poke at the grease on both my Majestics that I refurbed.
If it's not you can probably leave it. The stiffness may be at the crank end and the tension adjust end
( slot in the front, slotted set screw is on the bottom ).

The tension adjust consists of a short brass pin and a spring that the set screw pushes against, the brass pins mine has
a shallow "U" shape at one end, could have been from wear since these were older models, one was definitely
used at a school or some training facility, the column is scarred from someone raising
the column with it tightened.

I used white lithium grease for the worm gear.