PDA

View Full Version : Seasons Of The Moon portfolio on line

Yaakov Asher Sinclair
2-Jan-2005, 14:20
I have a portfolio of 12 photographs corresponding to the twelve months of the year that can be seen at http://ohr.edu/seasons/photos/ (http://ohr.edu/seasons/photos/)

Thanks to everyone that makes this such a great forum!

Oren Grad
2-Jan-2005, 18:00
Va-yar ha-Rav Sinclair et ha-choshech ki tov!

< smile >

B'hatzlacha...

John Kasaian
2-Jan-2005, 20:20
Beautiful photos! Very powerful images.

Robert Musgjerd
3-Jan-2005, 05:00
Thanks for sharing.Quite moving I love the light in these images

Steve Hamley
3-Jan-2005, 07:16
Ditto on the light! Excellent compositions, subjects, and light.

Steve

Alex Hawley
3-Jan-2005, 07:37
Very moving Rabbi Sinclair. The lighting is quite well done. Thanks for the link!

Gem Singer
3-Jan-2005, 08:04
Hi Rabbi,

Mazel Tov. You finally did it! Beautiful job.

Kirk Gittings
3-Jan-2005, 13:51
Superb images.

David Karp
3-Jan-2005, 16:40
Congratulations. Such wonderful photographs.

Can you share some of the technical details (like length of exposures, film(s) used, development, etc.)? This could be a great learning experience.

adrian tyler
4-Jan-2005, 00:56
such a romanntic and politically charged portfolio, where exactly are the sites on the map?

Peter Hruby
4-Jan-2005, 10:46
It is truly amazing,

I am wondering if anybody know how to make pictures as these... I would be interested to find any information about taking picture and process in darkroom.

Any ideas?

Peter Hruby

Peter Hruby
4-Jan-2005, 11:13
I was thinking about it, and probably combination of filters are used, polarizing or red filter? Burning and dodging techniques? What about artificial lightning?
Just a thought.

Peter Hruby

Yaakov Asher Sinclair
8-Jan-2005, 15:04
I have tried to express in these photographs my love for the Land of Israel and to reveal something of its hidden beauty.
Someone once challenged Rabbi Avraham Yitzchak Cook, the first chief of the State of Israel saying that the Alps were far more beautiful than the mountains of Israel. He replied saying, “Yes. But they don’t speak to me…”
The hills and mountains of the Land of Israel speak to me. The valleys and the old buildings of this Holy Land speak to me.
These photographs are unashamedly romantic; meaning that I have tried to evoke essence, rather than passionlessly document and record. In fact, in several of these photographs, I have carefully omitted the detritus and ugliness of our modern world. For example, if you could look just outside the frame of “Opposite Maaleh Adumim”, you would see a large dual-highway interchange and trucks grunting up the hill to Jerusalem. That’s what it looks like today. I don’t care. That’s not the picture I see in my heart. That’s not the view that speaks to me.
The technique that I have employed in these photographs itself echoes this attempt to reveal the hidden beauty of the Land. All of these photographs were made with infra-red film. The light that you see in these photographs is invisible to the human eye. Literally, you are witnessing the invisible. To make these photographs, I placed a visually opaque filter in front of the lens. No visible light enters the camera, only light that is below the threshold level of human perception. In a sense, the black filter is a perfect metaphor for the hidden beauty of the Land of Israel that I hope to communicate with these pictures.

Bill_1856
8-Jan-2005, 15:21
I guess this means technically that they're just ordinary infrared photographs. Well-done, Rab.

Alex Hawley
8-Jan-2005, 15:24
Totally outstanding Rabbi Sinclair! I would not have guessed infra-red. I have not seen such great results using it before.

I suspect many of us can empathize with showing the hidden beauty of a place without the modern clutter. I know that's what I attempt to do. To me, that is one of the rewards of photography, to be able to realize beauty out of what many pass by.

Recently, I was shooting in an area that is still open range - that is, no fences to keep the livestock in. As I was setting up, a group of horses came into view. I was hoping they would stay in my scene, but they were intent on investigating me. They came up from behind, we had a small chat, they left some rememberances and moved on. A small experience, but a rare one these days, and wholly pleasureable.

Peter Hruby
11-Jan-2005, 12:54
Thank you for the answer. I appreciate you revealed your technique and it is so amazing.

Jonathan_6488
2-Apr-2006, 16:48
Rabbi,
I would consider buying one or two of those! - but I cannot find any information on how they are printed, etc... can you possibly tell me/us? Thanks very much.

Jonathan

Walt Calahan
2-Apr-2006, 17:04
Stunning!

Bravo. What a lovely portfolio of images. Thank you.

Ted Harris
2-Apr-2006, 19:18
Beautiful and moving .... well done.

Yaakov Asher Sinclair
3-Apr-2006, 06:58
Jonathan,
I just went to the page for the Seasons of the Moon photographs -- http://ohr.edu/seasons/photos/ and it all seems to work. Most prints are still available in the first edition and these are at the original prices.
Best wishes
Yaakov Asher Sinclair

Jonathan_6488
10-Apr-2006, 01:51
Rabbi - I was hoping that I could get some printing information from you, as far as the exact media you'd used for the printing (silver print? fiber base? etc...). Would you be able to supply me with this information prior to a purchase? I cannot seem to find this information inside the supplied link.

Thank you very much,
Respectfully,
Jonathan

Yaakov Asher Sinclair
10-Apr-2006, 02:26
Jonathan,
Prints are made on Hannemuhle Photo Rag (308g/m) or German Etching (310 g/m) paper with Epson matte black ink.
All the best

Zach In Israel
18-Mar-2007, 05:59
Wow! just wow, I live just north of Jerusalem and work in Talpiot, and I have been having fun leaning photography in Israel

Mchilly
19-Mar-2007, 22:00
what a wonderful images you got! Love it!

Ron Marshall
19-Mar-2007, 22:26
Breathtakingly beautiful and otherworldly. Thank-you for sharing them.

Despite the title, were they shot at night or during daylight?