PDA

View Full Version : Just got me a new camera, it's an odd one.

Shootar401
11-Feb-2015, 13:28
I've always wanted a nice German LF camera to keep my Rolleiflex company, the price was right on this one, so I picked it up today.

It's a Ica Trona 210/7 in 9x12cm with a 135mm lens. Luckily the camera came with some 9x12 holders so I can just trim down my 4x5 and start shooting.

Anything I should know about these before I go off? I hear that you can use 4x5 holders with the camera, is this true? I'm not even sure if the 9x12 holders included are plate or film, but I' guessing plate. Maybe I should go dig up some film sheaths.

I just told myself, NO new cameras, but this was was under $100 and just to nice looking not to get

IanG
11-Feb-2015, 13:40
It doesn't take International film/plate DDS (double dark slide holders) the outside dimensions of these 9x12 &5x4 are identical so inter-changeable. So you'll need film inserts for your 9x12 plate holders and 9x12 film is quite easy to get still. I think Freestyle in the US, but it's common in Continental Europe.

Have fun it's a nice format, I have a few 9x12 cameras.

Ian

Michael E
11-Feb-2015, 14:49
9x12cm plate holders are very common on German ebay. But beware, they were not standardized and might not fit your camera, even if they are off by very little.

Shootar401
11-Feb-2015, 15:04
9x12cm plate holders are very common on German ebay. But beware, they were not standardized and might not fit your camera, even if they are off by very little.

Ohhhhh, thats good to know. it came with Kodak holders that were made in Germany. Can I assume if I get the same kind that they will fit?

Steven Tribe
11-Feb-2015, 15:04
Here is the Swedish language ad from 1927! ICA (soon to become part of Zeiss-Ikon) had over 20 various designs of 9x12cm cameras. The Trona is a later design that was a light budget type (970g) - but not the cheapest!

It was sold with 4 versions of lenses.

IanG
11-Feb-2015, 16:32
Ohhhhh, thats good to know. it came with Kodak holders that were made in Germany. Can I assume if I get the same kind that they will fit?

If the Kodak (Nagel) holders fit you should be able to find some in the US they'll all be the same fit as Eastman Kodak in the US sold a lot of 9x12 Recommar cameras - they bought Nagel which came under Kodak Ltd in the UK. Dr Nagel himself had founded Contessa and joined Zeiss Ikon as one of the founding companies before splitting of to set up Nagel.

The Kodak holders are nice, I have a few, as are the film inserts. I'm lucky all my 9x12 cameras will take the same holders inc the Kodak but as Michael E says there was poor standardisation, too many edge variation. They are easier to find on ebay.de than .com or .co.uk (same Login details and database) although I acquired 2 boxes of metal plate holders last year which are currently sorted by size and edge type.

You might look for a Rada or Rollex (early) 6x9 roll film back, I have quite a few, some will take a mask for 6x6 and have 2 windows, actually I think all the Rollex back I have are dual format but I only have one 6x6 mask, I could make more.

Ian

Jac@stafford.net
11-Feb-2015, 17:44
Those cameras are not so rare in good condition and I do not know why, except that they were expensive back then so perhaps they were well attended.

Find the film adapters and enjoy. I truly like the lenses' rendering. In my modest experience, 10' to 15' is ideal focus. Closer is okay, too. http://www.digoliardi.net/drake03.jpg

Shootar401
11-Feb-2015, 22:22
Thanks everyone for all the info. I'll be browsing eBay Germany later tonight.

IanG
12-Feb-2015, 03:47
Why don't you place a wanted advert here or on APUG, there are some very helpful people on the sites and someone may have what you need.

Ian

plaubel
12-Feb-2015, 05:42
You might look for a Rada or Rollex (early) 6x9 roll film back

Ian

But attention, the same problem with the edges here.

Lucky, who has some original film holders, so the dimension of the edges can be compared with any offer.
Otherwise, there exists a "Rada catalogue" online, who discribes a lot of different edges, even with details.

Using 4x5" filmholders is possible, if you are willing to screw a wooden frame around the camera, which then will carry a common international back.

With some accurate measuring it is able to bring a 6x9 rollfilm back to an original filmholder.

IanG
12-Feb-2015, 08:18
But attention, the same problem with the edges here.

Lucky, who has some original film holders, so the dimension of the edges can be compared with any offer.
Otherwise, there exists a "Rada catalogue" online, who discribes a lot of different edges, even with details.

Using 4x5" filmholders is possible, if you are willing to screw a wooden frame around the camera, which then will carry a common international back.

With some accurate measuring it is able to bring a 6x9 rollfilm back to an original filmholder.

I found I have 5 9x12 "Huttig Akt, Dresden" plate holders, some of the Huttig cameras continued after 1908 as ICA's then later as Zeiss Ikon. They are the correct double lip for for ICA, Goerz and Ernemann cameras.

The Ernemann camera I have will actually take single lip Rollex roll film backs so the ICA might as well.

Ian

plaubel
15-Feb-2015, 01:28
Great information, thank you, Ian.
My double/mono lips systems are not compatible.
For 9x12, I have a Zeiss, a Paul Zeh, and some Nonames, and they are all different.

It also was unable to change the ground glasses(without frame) between the cameras, different sizes here, too.

Cheers,
Ritchie

leighmarrin
15-Feb-2015, 03:24
About nine months ago a seller in China was offering on eBay a 9x12cm/4x5 conversion back for about $125. It was made out of plastic, and I think you had to remove the 4x5 ground glass when inserting a modern double-sided film holder.

I never saw one, and don't know how practical it is. There are no current listings for this gadget, but here's a link to an old auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adapter-to-turn-Voigtlander-Bergheil-Avus-9X12-into-4x5-cameras-/261482063870?pt=US_Film_Backs_Holders&hash=item3ce18ba7fe

OP, you're lucky that your 9x12cm uses the most common holder type, and in my experience those Kodak holders are really easy to load with sheet film. But the felt light seals on my several 9x12cm cameras are a little leaky so you might want to test yours with a tiny flashlight inside the camera.

The Jobo 2509 reel can take six 9x12cm sheets, and I've had good results using it in a hand-inverted Jobo 2521 tank.

Steven Tribe
15-Feb-2015, 08:31
But the felt light seals on my several 9x12cm cameras are a little leaky

Modern velvet (not felt) ribbon can be used as a replacement, although it may need a little distance piece underneath as it is probably a little thinner than the original velvet. The old velvet is very attractive for certain insects and there can be tracks like woodworm!

leighmarrin
15-Feb-2015, 17:50
Steven, thanks for the clarification of felt versus velvet. What type of adhesive should be used to hold the new velvet in place?