PDA

View Full Version : Dimensions of 4x10 Wisner Back

Kerry L. Thalmann
1-Jan-2005, 22:38
Hi,

I have assembled a 4x10 camera from various bits and pieces, including the back and bellows from a 4x10 Lotus. As most 4x10 shooters know, there are two different sizes of 4x10 film holders. As I snatch up 4x10 holders whenever I find them, I now have several of both types in my possession. In order to use the smaller Wisner-size holders with my camera, I would like to adapt the back from a 4x10 Wisner to fit my Lotus rear standard. So, if anyone has a 4x10 Wisner, could you please provide the outside and inside dimensions of the back? Note: I am NOT referring to the opening in the back where the film holders insert or the ground glass frame. I am looking for the over all size of the back.

For comparison, the dimensions of my Lotus 4x10 back are:

Outside - 12" x 7 13/16"
Inside - 11 5/8" x 7 7/16"

I am hoping the 4x10 Wisner back will be about the same size, or perhaps a bit larger. If so, it should be fairly easy to cut it down to size for a proper fit.

Thanks,
Kerry

William Blunt
2-Jan-2005, 07:45
Hi Kerry,
My Wisner back measures 11 3/4 x 7 3/4 outside and 6 1/2 x 10 1/2 inside. If I am understanding you correctly as to the diamensions you need.
Wm Blunt

Brian Vuillemenot
3-Jan-2005, 10:29
Hi Kerry,

My Wisner 4X10 back measures the same dimensions as William's- 11 3/4 X 7 3/4 outside; 10 1/2 X 6 1/2 inside.

Kerry L. Thalmann
3-Jan-2005, 17:31
Bill and Brian,

Thanks for your responses. I should have done a better job defining what I meant by "inside" dimensions. I was really just looking for the size of the small light trap lip around the perimeter of the back. This lip is usually in the range of 1/8" - 1/4" on all four sides. The attached picture should clear up the confusion.

http://www.thalmann.com/images/4x10_Back.jpg

It looks like the Wisner back is close, but perhaps maybe just a LITTLE bit too small.

Kerry

William Blunt
3-Jan-2005, 19:02
Kerry,
Those were the dimensions I posted. Looks like the Lotus is made a lot different.
Wm Blunt

Kerry L. Thalmann
3-Jan-2005, 19:42
Bill,

Thanks again. Looks like it would require a custom made back to use the Wisner size holders with my camera.

Can anybody recommend someone who could make such a back for me? I could go with Lotus, as I've always gotten good service from them in the past and found the quality of their products to be excellent. The only concerns would be how long it would take, and the cost given the incredibly weak dollar these days (oh, how I long for the days of the 85 cent euro).

Another option would be Wisner, but I'd probably have to send the rear frame of my camera to insure a proper fit, and again turn-around time would be an issue.

Any other options?

Kerry