PDA

View Full Version : Switching out a Copal Shutter 1 for Graphic Kowa with a G Claron

Jim Becia
8-Feb-2015, 14:28
Hope someone with knowledge can answer this question. I bought a Graphic Kowa 210 mf9 in a copal 1 shutter, only problem it has a wrong f stop scale on it. I forgot that I had a G Claron 210 f9 in a copal 1 with a correct scale. Can I just switch out the lens elements and will everything be ok? I did a quick try with the front element and it screwed in fine. I did not notice any type of spacers, at least on the front element. It is either switch them out or send the Graphic Kowa in top SK Grimes for a new f stop scale. Any advice or help appreciated. Thanks. Jim

Peter De Smidt
8-Feb-2015, 14:30
It should be fine. If you have a caliper, measure how thick the lens is in both shutters, i.e. measure the distance from the bottom metal edge of the rear cell to the top edge of the front cell. As long as that's very close in both shutters, then you should be ok.

Jim Becia
8-Feb-2015, 15:54
It should be fine. If you have a caliper, measure how thick the lens is in both shutters, i.e. measure the distance from the bottom metal edge of the rear cell to the top edge of the front cell. As long as that's very close in both shutters, then you should be ok.

Peter,

Unfortunately, no calipers. If I switch out the elements, mount the lens on a board, put it on my camera and then do some focusing on some subjects; if the image looks nice and sharp on the ground glass, can I assume everything is fine?

Peter De Smidt
8-Feb-2015, 16:13
Yes, making sure to check near the edge of the image circle. It sounds like it wasn't in an original shutter anyway. The other option is to switch the f-stop scale or make a new one.

I use my 305mm Kowa in a non-original 3s shutter. It works fine.

koh303
8-Feb-2015, 16:19
I can say the short (and long) answer is yes. Anything that needs to me measured is out of your control and not worth the effort dealing with, you will see right away if something is wrong - but i can say from experience, nothing will be.

Corran
8-Feb-2015, 16:41
If you're worried about it, perhaps you can just switch out the aperture scales instead? They come right off. I've done that before to replace a shutter.