PDA

View Full Version : apo rodagn 135mm in copal shutter?

koh303
8-Feb-2015, 07:41
I could find an answer here or google, but does anyone know if an APO Rodagon 135mm will fit in a Copal shutter 0 or 1?

Taija71A
8-Feb-2015, 09:44
___

Hello,

If the 'Screw Thread' on your Rodenstock Rodagon 135mm Enlarging Lens is 39.0mm...
It unfortunately will Not screw 'directly' into a Copal 1 Shutter. :(

http://www.skgrimes.com/products/new-copal-shutters/standardcopals

--
Best regards,

-Tim.
_________

Dan Fromm
8-Feb-2015, 10:24
Tim, I think -- could be mistaken -- that the OP is asking whether the lens' cells will screw directly into a #0 or #1 shutter. I've checked my R'stock literature. Unlike the corresponding Schneider propaganda, the R'stock says nothing about the cells' threading.

Taija71A
8-Feb-2015, 11:03
Good point Dan! No problem...

I too could be mistaken... But I thought that the OP was perhaps looking to use his Enlarging Lens -- For 'Higher Magnification Ratios' (*Perhaps the OP will 'chime in' once again).
--
Best regards,

-Tim.
_________

koh303
8-Feb-2015, 12:59
Tim, I think -- could be mistaken -- that the OP is asking whether the lens' cells will screw directly into a #0 or #1 shutter. I've checked my R'stock literature. Unlike the corresponding Schneider propaganda, the R'stock says nothing about the cells' threading.

indeed thats what i was asking.

Taija71A
8-Feb-2015, 17:05
indeed thats what i was asking.

___

Okay... :confused:

Do you perhaps have a picture of your individual Lens Cells?
Which Cell were you planning on using (the Front or Rear Cell) and for what purpose?
--
Please forgive me...

But I have never heard of anyone using just one half of an 6/4 Enlarging Lens -- At least for anything (Good)! :)
*Perhaps Dan can enlighten us further...
--

Thank-you!
_________

koh303
8-Feb-2015, 17:45
i am not sure where the confusion came from, i want to use the cells of a rodagon and mount them in a shutter.

Dan Fromm
8-Feb-2015, 17:49
Tim, the OP wants to put the complete lens -- both cells -- into a shutter. That's how it is almost always done. I have a couple of enlarging lenses -- 105/4.5 and 150/5.6 Comparon -- whose cells are direct fits in a #0. I have better lenses for closeup work, but if I didn't I'd use one of them in a #0.

The problem is that there's no guarantee that Rodenstock made enlarging lenses with cells that go straight into shutters. On the one hand, some, not all, smaller Apo-Ronars' cells are direct fits in standard shutters. On the other, Apo-Gerogons' cells aren't.

Koh303, extract the cells from their barrel, measure their outer diameters, and then visit http://www.skgrimes.com/products/new-copal-shutters to see which, if any, Copal they'll fit.

Taija71A
8-Feb-2015, 18:11
Tim, the OP wants to put the complete lens -- both cells -- into a shutter. That's how it is almost always done

Dan... Of course. (*Please Re-Read Post #2). Thank-you!
--
But since his Enlarging Lens will not 'Screw In' Directly to any of the Copal Shutters...

I would just use a simple Lens Adapter or Reversing Lens Adapter... And be done with it.
I am pretty sure that I have a few 'kicking around' here somewhere.

*They of course may have to be 'Custom Made' these days...
--
Cheers,

-Tim.
_________

Dan Fromm
8-Feb-2015, 18:23
Tim, you're missing the key point.

Lenses in conventional barrels are made up of two cells, front and rear, that screw into a barrel that has a diaphragm. Conventional lenses in shutter are made up of two cells, front and rear, that screw into the shutter's tube. The shutter contains shutter blades that open and close to give a timed exposure, a timer of some sort, and a diaphragm.

Cells are cells. Some lenses sold in barrels have cells that are direct fits in standard shutters. Unscrew, screw, and go.

Some lenses sold in barrels have cells that are not direct fits in standard shutters. Unscrew, oops, no go. There are two ways to get timed exposures with such lenses. One is to have adapters that will hold the cells in a standard shutter made and screw them and the cells into a standard shutter. The other is to have an adapter that will hold the entire lens in barrel in front of or behind a shutter.

I'm an exponent of front-mounting and I'll tell you from bitter personal experience that front-mounting is rarely cost-effective. It is, however, usually less expensive than adapting cells to a shutter. Front-mounting makes economic sense only when one has a number of lenses in barrel with the same mounting threads.

The OP is not interested in front mounting. I don't know why you see it as his only or best option. He just wants to unscrew the cells from his Rodagon and screw them into a shutter. Whether this can be done is an empirical question. One unscrews, measures, and knows. This isn't rocket science and it is done often.

koh303
8-Feb-2015, 18:28
Dan has it, and not sure why this very simple question needed such extensive explaining.

In any case, none of the older rodagons i have here will fit a copal shutter, though i was wondering if someone with one of these newer "red stripe" rodagons had tried to mount it in a shutter. I guess not, and i guess barring a difintive answer from someone that i will be investing money to find out, its not that high on my list at the moment.

Taija71A
8-Feb-2015, 18:48
___

Since, the OP doesn't even own the Lens (*In question)...

... His original question is nothing more than a hypothetical 'Moot point' -- Of numerous, various 'Permutations and Combinations'. LOL.
--
Dan... Yes, I am very much well aware of what "Lens Cell" are and how they work! ;)
But thank-you for posting!
--
Since this thread is "not that high on the list of the OP at the moment"... There is no use 'wasting' any further time on it. :(
_______

Phil Hudson
9-Feb-2015, 23:34
The 135mm Rodagon cells don't fit directly into a size 0 shutter but the equivalent 135mm Schneider Componon-S cells do.