PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Torpedo camera mag. 6x17 cm

luca_3797
31-Dec-2004, 02:22
Just bought a Aircraft Torpedo camera mag. 6x17 cm.I would adapt this back to a 5x7 camera.Does anyone around already did the job?
Many thanks.

george jiri loun
31-Dec-2004, 09:39
I have made a whole camera using the Torpedo back, with a 150 mm Nikon lens. A disadvantage of these backs is the need for calibrating the winding knob - it doesn't stop automatically after winding the film for a new picture. You have to mesure the exact amount of winding and write it somewhere so that you know how much to revolve for the next picture. Not a rocket science though. I stopped making other cameras with this film back when I started to make them with the Canham 6x17 roll film back.

luca_3797
1-Jan-2005, 04:19
George ,
thanks for the response.
Did you use just the fingers to turn the winding knob?If possible I would ask you a pic of the back since mine has not the dark slide built in.
E-mail : luca17267@yahoo.it
Otherwise I thank you for the answer you gave me already.
All the best
Luca

george jiri loun
1-Jan-2005, 05:43
I put a winding lever (the one you use for rewinding a film back to the film cartridge) from a Nikon SLR camera (an old one I had at home for parts) on the winding knob. There is no dark slide on the Torpedo back - once the film is in it you may not open the lens except for taking a picture. That's one of the reasons why I decided to build a whole camera instead of using it as a back for a view camera. Sorry, no picture at this end of the line, no scanner either...

luca_3797
2-Jan-2005, 01:36
George
Thank you.Very useful info on winding lever (from a Nikon SLR camera).
Cheers
Luca

David Van Gosen
2-Jan-2005, 20:20
George,

Wanna sell the back you've got? Maybe I can make a pano...

Thanks, David

george jiri loun
3-Jan-2005, 01:46
David, 'cause you ask nicely, I can sell you one non used Torpedo back in a very good condition, crying for being used in a pano. Will contact you on your email later, right now I'm busy in my workshop with my last project...

george jiri loun
5-Jan-2005, 11:09
David, your email address didn't work. If you are interested contact me on my email. Regards,

george jiri loun
26-Jan-2005, 15:23
David, your message has been received but your address is still bouncing back... What's wrong?

David Van Gosen
17-Feb-2005, 15:25
George,

Try me at dwvangosen [at] hotmail.com. Not sure why the Verizon address would be having trouble.

Thanks, David