PDA

View Full Version : A shop to buy darkroom chemicals in Los Angeles ?

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
6-Feb-2015, 03:52
A have a son in LA. I would want him to buy TMAX RS Developer and some Kodak Brown toner for my wife to bring back to Iceland after the family visit.
I have been looking at Sammy's web site and there are no darkroom chemicals listed. Where would you get those or similar things in LA.?

arthur berger
6-Feb-2015, 04:38
Freestyle Photographic supplies is at 5124 Sunset Blvd. I have never been to the retail store in LA, but I have bought chemicals by mail.

richardman
6-Feb-2015, 05:14
Both Freestyle AND Samy's have chemical.

Peter Lewin
6-Feb-2015, 05:26
Isn't the TSA still limiting quantities of liquid one can bring on a plane, or is there a way around this for the photo chemicals?

vinny
6-Feb-2015, 06:19
you'll want to call freestyle a few days ahead of time to make sure they get what you want at the retail store. Good luck getting it to iceland. If you declare you've got photo chemicals in your checked bags, I'm sure the TSA will have an issue with it. If you don't declare it and they find it when they scan your bag, your wife will be in trouble.

Ari
6-Feb-2015, 06:54
For overseas shipping of darkroom chemicals, try B&H; they have been excellent in regards to shipping to Canada, though that is by Ground Mail.
Still, if it can be shipped, they will do it. If it works, then you can buy your darkroom chemicals anytime, without having to wait for your son's visits.

koraks
6-Feb-2015, 06:57
I've had stuff shipped by both KEH and B&H to continental Europe; not exactly cheap, but doable and especially with chemicals the preferred option over taking them on a plane IMO.

Doremus Scudder
6-Feb-2015, 08:20
I've brought chemicals back to Europe from the U.S. in my checked baggage many times. Some of the bags were obviously checked by the TSA, since they left their little flier inside the bag. No problems.

I always make sure the chemicals are not hazardous (e.g., I'd not try to pack glacial acetic acid!) and are still in the sealed, original factory packaging. I've brought back mostly powders; PMK, sodium metaborate, potassium ferricyanide. I also bring back a lot of other liquids, though, such as chilli sauces, cosmetic stuff for my wife, etc. No problems so far.

You might want to check with the TSA and see.

Best,

Doremus

Luis-F-S
6-Feb-2015, 14:56
Gudmundur let me know if you need me to make some inquiries for you.

Peter Lewin
6-Feb-2015, 17:05
Since I originally raised the TSA question, I did a little google search:

Checked Baggage

There is no volume limit for liquids in checked baggage. Put all large bottles of toiletries and other products in your checked suitcase, making sure the containers are sealed and will not leak. Liquids can add significant weight to your suitcase. To avoid an overweight bag fee, check with your airline in advance to determine weight limits for checked baggage.

Prohibited Items

Liquids that can disable or hurt people are banned from both carry-on and checked baggage. This ban includes all flammable liquid or gel paints, including spray paint; all types of fuels or gasoline; bleach and chlorine; tear gas; and batteries containing liquid that can spill.

So it appears that carrying the liquids in carry-on is prohibited (there is a 3.4 ounce/container limitation on all liquids) but placing them in checked baggage should be OK.

HMG
6-Feb-2015, 18:48
I believe anything deemed corrosive will also be banned. Not sure about the composition of the toner.

Another thing to take into consideration is time. It's possible that your wife's luggage may be delayed by whatever inspection (if any) is conducted. So you may want to make sure there is plenty of time for closer inspection of the liquids.

AtlantaTerry
7-Feb-2015, 01:47
What about stores or businesses in England or Europe shipping photo processing chemicals to Iceland?

Kodachrome25
7-Feb-2015, 02:39
I have a feeling it will be a major pain in the rear if not impossible given the effect of any of these chemicals if thrown in one's eyes but I can find out for sure as I am friends with the director of TSA.

Personally I would just get it from a reliable source and avoid the potential hassle...

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
7-Feb-2015, 08:49
Thank you very much far all your information. As usually a lot of information on the subject accumulates on this forum.