PDA

View Full Version : Other's Experiences With Paper Rolls vs Sheets

John Layton
2-Feb-2015, 08:53
Expanding on my previous (processing trough) thread somewhat...I've been buying Ilford Multigrade FB Classic (nice paper!) in 42 inch rolls, then cutting down to 21x30 inch sheets (does seem close to 20x24, but with 5x7 film this cut gets me lots more useable space and a substantially larger print).

Now I'm looking to go to 30x40, and notice that FB Classic is available in this size, in 50 sheet boxes. Seems like a no-brainer for me to go this route, and that the slight added expense of this well offsets the labor and handling necessary to cut from rolls. Plus, I could cut the 30x40 down to two 20x30's to continue with this size as well.

My question regards the roll-paper's inherent curl, vs. any curl which may be present in the pre-cut paper. My experience tells me that a paper with a strong natural curl (such as from a roll) can be pulled down into a solution with less chance of getting creased along the way, even when that curl lies in the "wrong" direction...than factory-cut sheets, which sometimes have a curl on all four sides, especially noticeable in dry weather - which can make entry into solution relatively riskier, crease-wise.

At any rate, if anyone could add some insight to this, regarding the hand-processing (tray or trough) of pre-cut 30x40 paper vs. that cut from rolls, that would be great!

bob carnie
2-Feb-2015, 09:59
John - if you can get 30 x40 cut sheet fibre I would use it all day long compared to cutting down from a roll.

I absolutely hate the curl near the end of the roll...

Drew Wiley
2-Feb-2015, 10:04
Any time you can get cut sheet it's going to be not only a convenience, but be less risky in terms of damaging the paper cutting it down yourself. I wouldn't worry
terribly about the curl. Anything this big should be exposed on a vac easel anyway, or at a minimum, with the edges held down by magnets onto a steel backing.
These new papers can be a bit squirrely in that respect, depending on humidity issues. And it takes a good weight to flatten them after they dry.