PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 Lensboard sizes

Mark Sawyer
30-Dec-2004, 13:14
Still considering a new 8x10, and wondering if people out there could fill me in on the size lensboards the following cameras take:

Wehman,
Phillips Compact I,
Phillips Compact II,
any other suggested lightweight 8x10 field cameras...

Basically, I'm hoping there's something with a lensboard compatable with my old Kodak 2D, which is 6"x6" with square corners. I could modify a Deardorff or Kodak Master, (or for that matter, modify the 2D), but that seems a little sacreligious...

David A. Goldfarb
30-Dec-2004, 13:22
You can always make a lensboard adapter to use the smaller lensboards on the camera with the larger lensboards (except for big lenses that only work with the larger lensboards, of course). In addition to the versatility of this kind of setup, smaller lensboards make your field kit less bulky, since most lenses don't need to be on a 6x6 board.

Oren Grad
30-Dec-2004, 13:45
The Phillips 8x10 Compact and Compact II take Sinar/Horseman type boards. These are metal boards, just a bit smaller than the Kodak 2D boards - close enough that it may be difficult to make an adapter board.

I would modify the 2D. I have a Kodak No.2 in 6.5x8.5 format that also uses the 6-inch boards, and if I were using it more heavily I'd have the front standard modified to accept the Sinar/Horseman boards, on which I've standardized for all my other large cameras.

Mark Sawyer
30-Dec-2004, 13:47
Good point, David, and that may happen. (I've already made an adapting board to put the lenses on an Agfa 8x10 which I hardly ever use anyways...) I need the info for that too, as I don't want to, for example, make an adapter to go from a 6x6 to a 5.75x5.75, which would be a flimsy little 1/8" shim all the way around.

Oren Grad
30-Dec-2004, 13:59
Mark - The Sinar/Horseman boards are 5.5 inches square, give or take a fraction of a millimeter.

Sal Santamaura
31-Dec-2004, 09:33
While Phillips Compact I/II cameras accept Sinar/Horseman metal boards, Phillips boards are also available. When I bought my Compact II about six years ago, Dick supplied me with four wooden boards. More recently, he has been unable to obtain aircraft plywood of a quality satisfactory to him, so he's making boards for his 8x10 cameras from a resin. He says they're slightly heavier than wood, but may also be slightly flatter. Last year, when I got a new lens in a shutter that required a larger hole than the one it was replacing, I sent the wood board back to Dick so he could bore it out. Lighter always wins for me!

Mark Sawyer
31-Dec-2004, 09:52
Thanks Oren, thanks Sal; zillions of options, none perfect, but the info here is helping me make a more informed, if more agonized, decision. I've begun contemplating a universal lensboard adapter made with c-clamps and silly putty. This is warping my brain...