PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Tried Wallpaper Troughs for Large Prints?

John Layton
1-Feb-2015, 09:08
So I've been doing a number of 20x30 inch prints lately, and would like to go to 30x40 for select images. I've already built a horizontal enlarger for this purpose (My Zone VI is fine for up to 20x30, but not much bigger) - and my plywood/epoxy sink I.D. measures 35"x16Ft.

For the 20x30's, I built trays out of 1/4 inch birch ply then sealed with epoxy - these work great! I could do the same for 30x40's and just barely squeeze them into my sink, but would likely need to rack at least two of these to work with any degree of comfort.

So my latest thought is to construct troughs (with a generous "V" shape to minimize the risk of creasing/folding of the paper) for the four chemical steps (dev/stop/fix1/fix2) - plus a large open tray for holding and wash. I'd then attach clips (stainless or some other non-reactive material) to two 30 inch wooden or plastic dowels (maybe six clips per dowell), and clip then edges of the paper to these so that I can dip-curl-lift-and repeat these without too much risk of creasing or folding.

But recently, while cruising through my local Home Depot - I notice these 30 inch long Wall Paper troughs...a bit expensive (appx 50. each) - but looks like these might just work. My big concern is that these might not be wide enough to allow for a comfortable and safe paper curl radius...again essential to minimize the risk of creasing/folding.

So...anybody tried these troughs? Thanks!

mdarnton
1-Feb-2015, 09:39
With a wide enough tray (is a wallpaper tray large enough for this?) you can do large paper like a scroll, winding from one tube to the other, constantly. My brother was doing this in the 60s for giant prints.

Something like this, maybe?
http://www.amazon.com/Novelty-Polypro-Plastic-Planter-36-Inch/dp/B000OWEOSI

He also used, for a while, a long tube with caps, with the print rolled up layered with plastic mesh that resembled a soft non-abrasive scotchbrite pad, used like a Uniroller drum. That was a commercially-available thing at the time. That was for 40x60s.

bob carnie
1-Feb-2015, 09:48
I use (under the bed storage containers) large heavy duty plastic, bought them at home depot.. They hold tons of chemistry and for what you want to do very easy to use.
they are wider than the link provided by mdarnton but basically the same idea .. they stack together for storage and I do use single trays for final fix , and wash.

Also I have had monster trays built that I use for big jobs, just finished making 3 - 30 x30 each of 10 negative silver gelatin in my new darkroom and the trays worked really well.

I use the troughs for large roll paper off the lambda(silver gelatin) 30 inch by 10-12 ft lengths,and I scroll through the first three steps then cut to size and final fix, hypo , tone and wash as normal.

dsphotog
1-Feb-2015, 10:56
I've used wall paper troughs, for prints up to about 48" long on 24" or 30" roll paper.
They work well for me.

lenser
1-Feb-2015, 11:47
Back in the sixties, my dad had a local metal worker make some zinc trays made for me that were 42"x12" for that purpose and I did a constant roll, and unroll type of wash in the bathtub.

If you have a lot of space, there is a photo of Clyde Butcher observing a wash cycle on a huge flat tray that appears to be crafted from acrylic. Any good plastics shop should be able to make up one of these with a very thick bottom for stability in transport and somewhat thinner sides. I've seen a local shop make up some items that were far more complicated and nearly as large and they mentioned that the glues they use create a water tight weld, not just a glue seam.

bob carnie
1-Feb-2015, 12:44
My large trays are plastic weld as you suggest.. very hard plastic with handles I love them and they do take a beating.

Back in the sixties, my dad had a local metal worker make some zinc trays made for me that were 42"x12" for that purpose and I did a constant roll, and unroll type of wash in the bathtub.

If you have a lot of space, there is a photo of Clyde Butcher observing a wash cycle on a huge flat tray that appears to be crafted from acrylic. Any good plastics shop should be able to make up one of these with a very thick bottom for stability in transport and somewhat thinner sides. I've seen a local shop make up some items that were far more complicated and nearly as large and they mentioned that the glues they use create a water tight weld, not just a glue seam.

gleaf
1-Feb-2015, 15:34
Once upon a time I made the mistake of using RTV to seal the ends into some home made troughs.
Sudden release of the ends mid process was quite a surprise... ahh echoes of Dumb Guy Dumb Guy..
Didn't the RTV smell like acetic acid.... oh Stop bath was a solvent to my ends adhesive....
So care with glue.
How about the extruded vinyl eaves trough with the push on multi gasket ends?

Old-N-Feeble
1-Feb-2015, 15:36
Once upon a time I made the mistake of using RTV to seal the ends into some home made troughs.
Sudden release of the ends mid process was quite a surprise... ahh echoes of Dumb Guy Dumb Guy..
Didn't the RTV smell like acetic acid.... oh Stop bath was a solvent to my ends adhesive....
So care with glue.
How about the extruded vinyl eaves trough with the push on multi gasket ends?

Highly diluted stop bath dissolved the cured RTV glue? It's nearly all water.

gleaf
2-Feb-2015, 05:49
Combination of poor surface prep, lacking sufficient tooth. Deep very thin seam, likely not cured beyond the surface. RTV version had a moisture cure mode, overnight likely insufficient cure.
Plastic was a recycled Sonobouy inner storage tube with end caps band sawed in half lengthwise. We were busy doing cold war those days.

MrFujicaman
2-Feb-2015, 16:09
John, if you want them I have a copy of an article from the old Darkroom Photography that tells you how to make print processing drums from PVC pipe. The writer had one made from 15" PVC sewer pipe that'd do 40 by 50 prints. If you want a copy PM me with a mailing address.

Old-N-Feeble
2-Feb-2015, 16:14
John, if you want them I have a copy of an article from the old Darkroom Photography that tells you how to make print processing drums from PVC pipe. The writer had one made from 15" PVC sewer pipe that'd do 40 by 50 prints. If you want a copy PM me with a mailing address.

Is there a reason it can't be posted here? I'm interested too. :)

Drew Wiley
2-Feb-2015, 16:53
The main problem with PVC drainage pipe is that it's ordinarily white and slightly translucent. Black ABS would be stronger and obviously opaque. Industrial pipe
suppliers stock or can acquire all kinds of things, but true irrigation suppliers might be cheaper on certain common items. Home centers won't carry pipe of large
enough diameter. Some of these plastics need to be scrubbed well before use due to residual mould release compounds etc that can affect developers.