PDA

View Full Version : Bellows from Tokyophoto

lecarp
31-Jan-2015, 10:04
Does anyone have any experience using these bellows, particularly the 8x10 Deardorff. Any information about material quality etc. would be
appreciated. I am familiar with Western, Turner and Custom but I need new frames and the expedience (and price to a degree of Tokyo) is
appealing.

Thanks, Lee.

koh303
31-Jan-2015, 10:07
These are by the best bellows money can buy.

jon.oman
31-Jan-2015, 11:16
I'll keep this in mind.....

Joe Smigiel
31-Jan-2015, 14:57
These are by the best bellows money can buy.

I've made bellows and purchased from Custom Bellows but am not familiar examples from Tokyophoto. What characteristics make them "the best money can buy?" Do you have negative experiences with the other manufacturer's products that you can share?

The Custom Bellows I purchased were synthetic material and collapsed to about 2" while extending a full 52" in length. They were thin, lightweight, supple, opaque, and arrived internationally very quickly upon submission of my order. Perhaps they were more expensive than other options at the time, but I had read of problems with domestic products so I ordered mine from CB. I couldn't have been more impressed by a product and would order from them again.

adelorenzo
31-Jan-2015, 15:00
I bought a set of their bellows for my Toyo Field half plate and I loved them. Instead of leather or vinyl the outer material was more of a nylon fabric that I really liked, they were described as being "like Gore-tex".

koh303
31-Jan-2015, 15:48
Do you have negative experiences with the other manufacturer's products that you can share?

Perhaps they were more expensive than other options at the time

The only negative thing i have to say about CB is that they are VERY expensive. Almost double or more then those from Japan, and i am not sure if they give you the frames included in the price or make you send yours in. Their shipping cost seems to be a bit excessive, but perhaps you can look at the overall purchase cost which is already much higher.
Shipping from Japan is with EMS, and usually arrives within 2-4 day BTW.

The quality might be top notch, but i can say the quality of bellows from Japan is also top notch, and they are made of indestructible material, which is very easy to work with, even if it does not exactly mimic the look of the original deardorff bellows, which are next to impossible to use if they are not brand new, oiled and fresh.

They extend the full length of the extension the V8 (in this case) will allow + room for movements at the extreme end of things.

The frames come pre drilled, and the whole thing is just a symphony of precision and excellent craftsmanship.

My 2 cents, after having bought 5 bellows form this maker. I have no vested interested in either maker, and i can only assume they all make good work.

lecarp
31-Jan-2015, 15:55
Thanks catlabs.

lecarp
31-Jan-2015, 16:07
Thanks adelorenzo as well.

Joe Smigiel
31-Jan-2015, 19:44
OK. Thanks for the additional details. I'm contemplating ordering a set for an older 1970s camera I'm in the market for that will probably need the bellows replaced. The originals on every example I've seen always look trashed. The Tokyophoto price looked good considering the time and effort needed to make a bellows by hand.

lecarp
1-Feb-2015, 04:23
I have placed an order and will report back. Thanks again.

koh303
6-Feb-2015, 17:35
I just got and installed a red bellows for deardorff 8X10. As a word of advisory, i bought the red bellows because it thought it will look cool - and it looks oh so cool indeed, however, the material is not as high tech and cool as the black stuff they make. I am not sure why, it is slightly thicker and and has more fine corners/edges on the pleats.

Do i like it - hell yeah, will install another red bellows in the future? I am not so sure.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/s526x395/10676171_709906945794811_8043649720846479868_n.jpg?oh=d08f6abdad76030a835fb2ddbd84938f&oe=5557EDD9&__gda__=1431139975_70fe52e6afdf2d1d305579169dc684ad

Tracy Storer
17-Jul-2015, 22:25
I received today, one of the "high-tech" black bellows.........I HATE IT. The workmanship is good, but the material is terrible. Although it is thin, it is very stiff making crisp folds impossible. I am not even sure there even any stiffeners in this bellows.....I am clamping it between boards to try to squash it flat enough to even fit into my V8....not sure it will ever fit, so fat, and wants to expand at any opportunity, like a seedling going to the sun. self supporting great, no sag, great....but the camera needs to fold !

So sorry I took a chance varying from Custom Bellows UK, I was in a hurry and it was in stock....cold comfort when it's not usable, I have a client halfway across the globe that needs a working camera ASAP. MOST DECIDEDLY NOT THE BEST BELLOWS MONEY CAN BUY. I don't think I will EVER try anybody else again as long as Custom Bellows is in business. Bitterly Disappointed.

koh303
18-Jul-2015, 05:22
I received today, one of the "high-tech" black bellows.........I HATE IT. The workmanship is good, but the material is terrible. Although it is thin, it is very stiff making crisp folds impossible. I am not even sure there even any stiffeners in this bellows.....I am clamping it between boards to try to squash it flat enough to even fit into my V8....not sure it will ever fit, so fat, and wants to expand at any opportunity, like a seedling going to the sun. self supporting great, no sag, great....but the camera needs to fold !

So sorry I took a chance varying from Custom Bellows UK, I was in a hurry and it was in stock....cold comfort when it's not usable, I have a client halfway across the globe that needs a working camera ASAP. MOST DECIDEDLY NOT THE BEST BELLOWS MONEY CAN BUY. I don't think I will EVER try anybody else again as long as Custom Bellows is in business. Bitterly Disappointed.

Ill take it off your hands.
At less then half the price, and a fraction of the work (frames are included), i am happy to live without stiffners, which are not needed, as the bellows stays in place, is flexible, and folds inside the camera with no pressure.

prendt
18-Jul-2015, 05:36
Indeed, modern bellows are often constructed without so called stiffeners. The material is "self supporting". Makes the production easier and cheaper without sacrificing the quality.

prendt
18-Jul-2015, 05:52

When you order bellows you need to specify the minimum pressed dimension you need - the bellows material is often-time chosen accordingly. Sharp folds are no advantage - they can cause pinholes later.

Tracy Storer
18-Jul-2015, 07:17
Guys, this was sold as a bellows for a V8. The dimensions are known. You should not have to stand on the bellows to get it to fit in the camera. I've handled a camera or two and I know when something is not right.

Tracy Storer
18-Jul-2015, 08:19
Tokyophoto bellows is half the price, not less than half.Taking into consideration shipping my frames to England and having the complete bellows shipped back.
Maybe the bellows you got from Tokyophoto "folds inside the camera with no pressure" but the one I received wouldn't fit even with substantial pressure. I have another friend who got a red V8 bellows from TP and likes it, as you like yours, so, I am posting to say at least YMMV with this vendor.

Ill take it off your hands.
At less then half the price, and a fraction of the work (frames are included), i am happy to live without stiffners, which are not needed, as the bellows stays in place, is flexible, and folds inside the camera with no pressure.

koh303
18-Jul-2015, 12:08
Tokyophoto bellows is half the price, not less than half.Taking into consideration shipping my frames to England and having the complete bellows shipped back.
Maybe the bellows you got from Tokyophoto "folds inside the camera with no pressure" but the one I received wouldn't fit even with substantial pressure. I have another friend who got a red V8 bellows from TP and likes it, as you like yours, so, I am posting to say at least YMMV with this vendor.

Actually i have already bought 5. One was red, which i did not like due to the thicker material.
How long does it take you to transfer the frames? Custom bellows do no frame work last time i checked with them, has this changed?
Just that is worth more then double the price as these come with frames ready made and you need to do is put the screws back in.

prendt
18-Jul-2015, 12:36

A crucial question - did you contact the vendor to see what he has to say about the problem? Would be interesting to know his side of the story, me thinks.

Tracy Storer
18-Jul-2015, 15:32
Custom Bellows has mounted the bellows on my frames on every one of my orders (a dozen or more orders over the last decade?) except for one, they were worried the frames would be lost in the shuffle when they were re-organizing. They have started adding a small charge for the mounting service in the last year or so.

Actually i have already bought 5. One was red, which i did not like due to the thicker material.
How long does it take you to transfer the frames? Custom bellows do no frame work last time i checked with them, has this changed?
Just that is worth more then double the price as these come with frames ready made and you need to do is put the screws back in.

Tracy Storer
18-Jul-2015, 15:38
Tokyophoto responded today to my complaint offering a full refund. Service and communication are good, no problem there. We'll see whether the bellows rolls over and plays dead (I was going to say "sits up and begs" but it's already doing that, which is the problem !) when I unclamp it tomorrow morning.

He (they?) did acknowledge the bellows are "springy" when new and take time to lose this quality.

A crucial question - did you contact the vendor to see what he has to say about the problem? Would be interesting to know his side of the story, me thinks.

prendt
18-Jul-2015, 15:59
Good to know, thanks for the clarification.

Tracy Storer
18-Jul-2015, 18:11
I decided not to wait till morning and retry the fit........still a no-go. TokyoPhoto seems to have excellent communication and customer service, so I will be returning this bellows. I have made a suggestion that may or may not solve the problem I had with this example.

Tracy Storer
29-Jul-2015, 11:34
Received full refund after returning bellows. Hopefully this too-thick bellows was a one-off, communication and service are excellent, we want Tokyophoto to succeed.
Meanwhile, I ordered bellows from my old stand-by, Custom Bellows, and am awaiting delivery.

Duolab123
12-Mar-2019, 14:04
Tokyophoto is no longer offering their 200 dollar Deardorff bellows on Ebay any longer. There's Hong Kong ones, don't have frames attached. Beyond my ability.

Luis-F-S
12-Mar-2019, 15:26
Never used Tokyophoto so can’t comment. I’ve had Custom Bellows make one each for my V5, V8 and V11. All have been perfect and resonable considering the exchange rate. Keith mounted my frames and did not charge a separate fee. Next time I need a bellows you can be sure I’ll be using them.

Duolab123
12-Mar-2019, 18:25
Never used Tokyophoto so can’t comment. I’ve had Custom Bellows make one each for my V5, V8 and V11. All have been perfect and resonable considering the exchange rate. Keith mounted my frames and did not charge a separate fee. Next time I need a bellows you can be sure I’ll be using them.

Did you remove and send your old bellows and frames? What was cost for the V8? There's a bit of me that doesn't want to touch anything on my V8. It's all original as far as I know. It's a bit confusing as it has newer front standard, but no round metal base mount plate, which I believe puts it as pre-WWII. The factory offered a upgrade to the new front. I suppose I should just get in touch with Custom Bellows and get it done.

thornhill
12-Mar-2019, 20:53
I ordered a bellows from Tokyophoto for my Toyo 45a and installed it myself. Excellent instructions were provided along with some basic items for the job; tape, bulldog clips,etc. The material is slightly heavier than on the original Toyo bellows, but no problem closing the camera.
All in all I'm very pleased with the whole deal.

Duolab123
12-Mar-2019, 22:04
I ordered a bellows from Tokyophoto for my Toyo 45a and installed it myself. Excellent instructions were provided along with some basic items for the job; tape, bulldog clips,etc. The material is slightly heavier than on the original Toyo bellows, but no problem closing the camera.
All in all I'm very pleased with the whole deal.

I tried to order bellows for my Deardorff, they had these listed but when I ordered, tokyophoto cancelled my order. I contacted them and was told that there was no more available. I sent a message to Custom Bellows to see what they have to offer. Catlabs sells replacement bellows for the Deardorff but are 400 dollars. For that much I want to check out Custom Bellows first.