PDA

View Full Version : Expired Tri-X and Ektachrome

RodinalDuchamp
28-Jan-2015, 21:02
I inherited some trix 320 that expired in 1997 and Ektachrome that expired in 1994. Both where kept in a freezer.

I know the film has probably lost some sensitivity but is it worth shooting at all? I would use it for less important things and maybe for testing for light leaks.

I am also interested in the Ektachrome as I am a 100% BW guy and this windfall creates an opportunity to play with color film without having to invest money and without having to invest myself emotionally to the outcome, it would be experimental kind of just for fun.

vinny
28-Jan-2015, 21:20
Yes

DG 3313
28-Jan-2015, 21:40
+1

Yes

Corran
28-Jan-2015, 22:22
Yes.
The slide film is probably magenta/blue shifted. It can be useful in certain situations. I like some older slide film that is way blue shot in tungsten or similar type lights, especially in street scenes. Try some of your night shooting with it! Also give it a healthy exposure.

jnantz
29-Jan-2015, 06:34
you can also expose the chrome film and process it in black and white chemistry and get
black and white negatives. that is what i do with my color film these days since it is
too much of a PITA for me to get it processed ( and i don't want to deal with processing it myself ).
you won't have trouble scanning the film, but printing it traditionally might give you a little trouble.

RodinalDuchamp
29-Jan-2015, 18:00
Thanks guys. I shot the tri-x today it was a bit foggy but at least it can be used to detect leaks or run tests of some sort in the future. The Ektachrome I think will be fun to play with.

StoneNYC
29-Jan-2015, 22:40
Thanks guys. I shot the tri-x today it was a bit foggy but at least it can be used to detect leaks or run tests of some sort in the future. The Ektachrome I think will be fun to play with.

I suggest shooting brighter scenes, shadows will probably be mottled in the blacks.

Also, depends which Ektachrome there were variations.

If you develop with HC-110 you might slightly reduce fogging.

Enjoy!

vinny
29-Jan-2015, 22:47
I've shot ektachrome from the 80's (4yrs ago) that turned out fine. Everyone said it was a waste of time but being freezer stored makes all the difference.

Daniel Stone
29-Jan-2015, 23:28
I've shot ektachrome from the 80's (4yrs ago) that turned out fine. Everyone said it was a waste of time but being freezer stored makes all the difference.

+1
I have shot a few 50sht boxes of 1988 expired EPN(Ektachrome 100) 4x5 that has produced stellar results with very minimal color shift(probably due to being frozen since purchase).

RodinalDuchamp
31-Jan-2015, 20:32
Thanks guys I think I'll use the color film for portraits. If it works I've seen it on eBay for about $25 which is also very accessible.