PDA

View Full Version : 20x24 Toyo?

tgtaylor
27-Jan-2015, 11:38
Anyone ever seen one? On their website Toyo list it being manufactured in 1987: http://www.toyoview.co.jp/contents/company.htm

Thomas

Daniel Stone
27-Jan-2015, 11:49
They might have made a graphic arts/repro camera?

tgtaylor
27-Jan-2015, 12:04
Toyo must have went off their nut in 1987 jumping from 8x10 straight to 20x24. You'd think that an 11x14 camera would have been the next step.

Thomas

Old-N-Feeble
27-Jan-2015, 12:06
You could call/email Toyo. Maybe someone there knows about them.

Ari
27-Jan-2015, 12:20
Don't forget, Toyo is a machining company, first and foremost; the 20x24 is enticing, but it could also be some machine part that has little to do directly with photography.
I think Daniel may be right about a report camera, but who knows?

tgtaylor
27-Jan-2015, 12:42
"Toyo 20x24" doesn't sound like a machine part to me and that nomenclature clearly identifies it as being a camera.

Thomas

Tracy Storer
28-Jan-2015, 10:17
Anyone ever seen one? On their website Toyo list it being manufactured in 1987: http://www.toyoview.co.jp/contents/company.htm

Thomas

Yes, Kenji Sakai built a prototype 20x24 studio camera(NOT a field camera, it was large, bulky and heavy), on it's own twin-column studio stand. As far as I know only one was built. There was the thought that they might build a camera or cameras for Polaroid, but it never went beyond the prototype.

StoneNYC
29-Jan-2015, 22:48
Yes, Kenji Sakai built a prototype 20x24 studio camera(NOT a field camera, it was large, bulky and heavy), on it's own twin-column studio stand. As far as I know only one was built. There was the thought that they might build a camera or cameras for Polaroid, but it never went beyond the prototype.

He speaks! I didn't even know you were on the forum haha!!

Then again I was just made aware of your existence when someone received and posted about their mammoth, nice work!

Tracy Storer
30-Jan-2015, 10:30
I think the person you were thinking of received a "mammoth plate" size camera from the Star Camera Co. I make large cameras, and my company is "Mammoth Camera Co tm" I am also 20x24 West with a Polaroid 20x24 camera for rent in San Francisco.
But, yeah, I occasionally contribute here.

He speaks! I didn't even know you were on the forum haha!!

Then again I was just made aware of your existence when someone received and posted about their mammoth, nice work!

StoneNYC
30-Jan-2015, 11:13
I think the person you were thinking of received a "mammoth plate" size camera from the Star Camera Co. I make large cameras, and my company is "Mammoth Camera Co tm" I am also 20x24 West with a Polaroid 20x24 camera for rent in San Francisco.
But, yeah, I occasionally contribute here.

Understood, I just can't imagine making 20x24 Polaroid prints! I'll PM you I have an OT question.