PDA

View Full Version : Broken Ground Glass

MilamBardo
26-Jan-2015, 05:54
Oh dear-oh dear-oh dear. Went all the way down to London to hand collect a Sinar Norma + accessories so that I could be sure that nothing would break in transit. Managed to get everything home in one piece. Then managed to break the ground glass when excitedly trying to point the camera (sans tripod) at a light source over my head. It's my first large format camera, and the pain in my heart is great. But lesson learned: ground glass is delicate!

Anyhow, I now need to try and source myself some alternate 5x7 glass. I have seen Yanke and Hopf both mentioned as decent sources. What do people think of these guys? The problem with Hopf is he is located Stateside (I am UK), and the postage charges are very, very high. How does he compare to the Yanke glass? (There is a supplier of Yanke right in Glasgow, where I stay, and so this is seeming like it could be a good option at the mo. Plus, the Yanke option 15 pounds cheaper once postage is added).

How do the two above compare to Sinar original glass?

The Norma 5-7 back that I have is an older one, with slots for a fresnel located between the lens and glass. So, although I would like a fresnel, I'm guessing that I'm just looking at a normal ground glass replacement?

Ari
26-Jan-2015, 06:30
The Yanke, if it's the GG/fresnel-in-one, is a good screen.
Get what you can at a good price, so you can get to shooting sooner.

MilamBardo
26-Jan-2015, 07:14
So will an all in one work, even if originally the fresnel would go between t ground glass and lens? Would this potentially cause focus issues?

Ari
26-Jan-2015, 10:25
So will an all in one work, even if originally the fresnel would go between t ground glass and lens? Would this potentially cause focus issues?

As long as the point of focus (where the GG sits) doesn't change, yes.

MilamBardo
26-Jan-2015, 14:38
As long as the point of focus (where the GG sits) doesn't change, yes.

Ok, great! Thanks for the help.

Liquid Artist
27-Jan-2015, 00:04
I'm probably one of the few people here that hasn't broken a GG yet. Yet being the key word.

So you have joined some pretty good company.

If you can afford it get 2, and store the spare in a film box. If you keep it with you you'll probably never need it.

Oh, you may want a spare 5x7 film box or more.
Most people will basically give them to you if you advertise in the buy sell section.
If I had a spare I'd just mail it to you tomorrow.

koraks
27-Jan-2015, 04:11
Been there, done that...got a Sinar and broke the ground glass in a very similar way to what happened to MilamBardo. Man, did I feel like a klutz!

Since I didn't trust myself with an expensive ground glass, I purchased a cheap one from ebay user tesarphoto. They ship from China and I think they even do custom ground glasses. Probably the quality isn't up there with that of the custom jobs of the people mentioned in this thread, but I found the glass that I got from tesarphoto to be quite good - not inferior in any noticeable way (by me, at least) to the original Sinar glass it replaces. Currently I see no offerings by them on the bay, but my experience with them has been excellent, both in terms of the product itself and after-sales support (I mistakenly had an error in my shipping address in my PayPal account info and they sent the item again at no additional cost, despite the fault being on my side). If they are still in business, I would recommend them.

Btw, I'm sorry if this posts breaks any rules; I'm just trying to offer one more option.

MilamBardo
27-Jan-2015, 14:35
If you can afford it get 2, and store the spare in a film box. If you keep it with you you'll probably never need it.

Oh, you may want a spare 5x7 film box or more..

Thanks for the tip - although I can only afford one for now I think.

I feel like I might be leaning back to Steve Hopf, since I'm not looking for a fresnel, and people seem to think his screens are bright without. Would only be a bit more expensive than the Yanke. Does anyone have experience with a non-fresnel Yanke?

Also, does anyone have experience with GlobalMatter?

MilamBardo
27-Jan-2015, 14:40
Since I didn't trust myself with an expensive ground glass, I purchased a cheap one from ebay user tesarphoto. They ship from China and I think they even do custom ground glasses.

Thanks koraks - will take a look at these.

Ari
27-Jan-2015, 14:51
Don't buy from Global Matter; he charges a lot of money for old stock screens that are of dubious quality and build; you'd be better off getting a no-name GG that fits your camera, and refining it further yourself, or asking a friend to do it for you.
If you order from Hopf, may as well get the best he has, the borosilicate.

MilamBardo
27-Jan-2015, 15:22
Don't buy from Global Matter; he charges a lot of money for old stock screens that are of dubious quality and build; you'd be better off getting a no-name GG that fits your camera, and refining it further yourself, or asking a friend to do it for you.
If you order from Hopf, may as well get the best he has, the borosilicate.

Yep, this was the one I was looking at. I'm going to measure up my screen tonight and send it on.

Since I haven't shot large format before, I'm wondering what the difference is between having more or less grid lines. Steve Hopf can do either 1 inch or half inch I think, but what do people tend to shoot with? The advantage I guess would be for things like horizons?

Steve Sherman
27-Jan-2015, 17:36
Yep, this was the one I was looking at. I'm going to measure up my screen tonight and send it on.

Since I haven't shot large format before, I'm wondering what the difference is between having more or less grid lines. Steve Hopf can do either 1 inch or half inch I think, but what do people tend to shoot with? The advantage I guess would be for things like horizons?

Just had a gentleman here from the UK who has the identical Phillips 7x17 camera with a non Steve Hopf ground glass. He was shocked at how bright my ground glass was compared to his. He returned to Scotland to order a GG from Steve Hopf ASAP. Plus Steve is a very nice man, you won't regret this Borosilicate GG.

MilamBardo
27-Jan-2015, 17:46
Just had a gentleman here from the UK who has the identical Phillips 7x17 camera with a non Steve Hopf ground glass. He was shocked at how bright my ground glass was compared to his. He returned to Scotland to order a GG from Steve Hopf ASAP. Plus Steve is a very nice man, you won't regret this Borosilicate GG.

Ok, that's good to know. I've Facebooked him, so hopefully should be in contact soon. Still cannot believe I cracked the glass in the first place...

William Whitaker
27-Jan-2015, 19:35

+1. Buy two. And get a tripod!

I've done business on more than one occasion with Steve Hopf and highly recommend him. The other supplier I am not familiar with.

David Karp
27-Jan-2015, 21:37
I think Hopf is great. Nice guy and he does great work. I have one of his 5x7 borosilicate GGs on the reducing back for my WP camera. I had him make a one inch grid. That works for me.

Liquid Artist
28-Jan-2015, 10:13
I kinda like a grid with 2 lines going up an 2 lines going across breaking things into thirds.

MilamBardo
29-Jan-2015, 10:48
I think I'm just going to go with his 1\2 inch gridding option, since it seems most screens normally come with lots of lines. For myself, I have issues with getting lines straight rather than with the general balance of a scene.

Another question though:

Are all Sinar screens made to a standard size? Mine is an older Norma back...

I'm just wanting to make sure I don't order incorrectly. I can measure my 5x7, but I'm also wanting to get a 4x5, for which I don't have a screen to compare to.

MilamBardo
29-Jan-2015, 13:11
In fact, seeing your replies, maybe 1 inch lines would be better. Possibly less distracting... Damn - analysis paralysis is a bit of a problem with me....

Ari
29-Jan-2015, 13:19
I've really enjoyed having no grid at all, after years of having had grids on all my screens.

MilamBardo
29-Jan-2015, 14:07
I've really enjoyed having no grid at all, after years of having had grids on all my screens.

Interesting. What do you tend to find you shoot most, Ari?

Ari
29-Jan-2015, 14:13
Mostly portraits, with a bit of urban and architecture mixed in.
The grid is handy for buildings and horizons and such, but I've been getting by with just my eyes and a small pocket level to get me in the ballpark.

David Karp
31-Jan-2015, 09:21
Steve Hopf has an option to do greyish/silverish grid lines that are very faint, but useful when you want to notice them. That might be just right for you.