PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for dark cloth or other light excluding device for Horseman L-frame

Bruce B
25-Jan-2015, 18:24
Hi,

My old dark cloth is kaput (light leaks even) and I'm wondering if there is anything knew and wonderful in the area of devices that allow one to actually see the ground glass, even in bright light. I've seen small hoods that are dark cloth or leather that mount on a 4x5 and have a smallish hole to look through, perhaps with a loop (which I have). I'm wondering if anyone has used one of these (or something similar), if it would actually fit on a Horseman L-frame, and where I might find one to buy. A weighted dark cloth would also be fine, but they have a tendency to squish my bag bellow so I need to be careful to unsquish it before taking the slide out.

Any suggestions more than welcome, and thanks in advance,
BAB

John Kasaian
25-Jan-2015, 19:02
A thick black t shirt or sweatshirt?

Bill_1856
25-Jan-2015, 19:03
BTZS focusing hood (check eBay)

fishbulb
25-Jan-2015, 19:14
A piece of black fabric from a sewing/fabric store. Won't cost much and you can check the transparency of the fabric at the store.

diversey
25-Jan-2015, 19:16
I heard from a LF photographer the good one is from Target, black window shade, $12.99.

Jac@stafford.net
25-Jan-2015, 19:19
I described my ideal dark cloth to my mate: large, white on one side, black on the other with sleeves about the arms. She walked to our storage space and produce an old XXL sized biker t-shirt that was in storage because it was too big, but perfect as a dark cloth.

It is not a complex problem.

vinny
25-Jan-2015, 20:24
A yard of Ultrabounce.

Ari
25-Jan-2015, 20:36
A yard of Ultrabounce.

Sounds interesting; any idea what it costs? The website lists no price.

Richard Wasserman
25-Jan-2015, 20:44
$11.48/yard

http://www.cinegearstore.com/products/Ultrabounce-(60")-Per-Yard.html

Sounds interesting; any idea what it costs? The website lists no price.

Ari
25-Jan-2015, 20:46
Thank you, Richard.
For some reason, they won't ship to Canada, even though I got a price in Canadian dollars.

vinny
25-Jan-2015, 20:55
Thank you, Richard.
For some reason, they won't ship to Canada, even though I got a price in Canadian dollars.

It's waterproof too and stays out of your face because its a little stiffer than t shirt material. Seems to be the same material as the Ebony darkcloth. There are other places that sell it. There ought to be lighting and grip/expendables shops in toronto who stock it if you cant find another online seller.

Ari
25-Jan-2015, 21:19
It's waterproof too and stays out of your face because its a little stiffer than t shirt material. Seems to be the same material as the Ebony darkcloth. There are other places that sell it. There ought to be lighting and grip/expendables shops in toronto who stock it if you cant find another online seller.

Thanks, Vinny; will check Toronto places tomorrow.

Kirk Gittings
25-Jan-2015, 21:31
This is new to me. How heavy is it?

Tin Can
25-Jan-2015, 21:35
http://www.expendables.com/ultrabounce-60-quot.html

StoneNYC
25-Jan-2015, 21:41
Cool stuff, and when you're not using it to focus you can angle it toward the model when you're triggering the lens for fill light ;)

vinny
26-Jan-2015, 05:53
This is new to me. How heavy is it?

It's a little heavier that regular ripstop beacause the white side appears to be a "sprayed on" type of coating for lack of a better term. We use it in the movie business for a bounce material in sizes up to 20x20 and larger. Its very durable, stands up to heat, and can be washed off. I've got small rare earth magnets sewn into one edge of mine that correspond to spots on my 8x10.

jb7
26-Jan-2015, 07:08
It's a little heavier that regular ripstop beacause the white side appears to be a "sprayed on" type of coating for lack of a better term. We use it in the movie business for a bounce material in sizes up to 20x20 and larger. Its very durable, stands up to heat, and can be washed off. I've got small rare earth magnets sewn into one edge of mine that correspond to spots on my 8x10.

That looks interesting-

Is it opaque? It's described as a Nylon fabric, is it breathable?

I think I'd prefer a breathable fabric for a dark cloth over one that was 100% light tight, though if it would be great if it had both properties.

vinny
26-Jan-2015, 07:16
Not opaque but close enough for camera work. You want opaque. white on one side, plus breathable, that's gonna be a long search. Get Gore Tex. Good luck finding it in white.

That looks interesting-

Is it opaque? It's described as a Nylon fabric, is it breathable?

I think I'd prefer a breathable fabric for a dark cloth over one that was 100% light tight, though if it would be great if it had both properties.

Drew Bedo
26-Jan-2015, 07:32
My wife made me a dark cloth from something black and velvety inside and white outside. I had her weight the corners with big washers. worked fine for years and I still have it. Now I have a BTZS hood the works well, is lighter and packs smaller.

jb7
26-Jan-2015, 07:42
... You want opaque. white on one side, plus breathable, that's gonna be a long search.

Dark and breathable would be sufficient- Is that fabric breathable? It doesn't look like it...

Roger Thoms
26-Jan-2015, 08:26
BTZS focusing hood (check eBay)

Or the View Camera Store. http://www.viewcamerastore.com/focus-hood/

Personly I really like the BTZS hoods, as it is easy to block out virtually all the light making it much easier for me to focus.

Roger

StoneNYC
26-Jan-2015, 11:09
Or the View Camera Store. http://www.viewcamerastore.com/focus-hood/

Personly I really like the BTZS hoods, as it is easy to block out virtually all the light making it much easier for me to focus.

Roger

How do you focus if the focus knob is inside the hood? I like the BlackJacket because it gives tit the arms option. Though with my new camera i've been getting by with just a dark cloth over me, mostly just because I haven't wanted to spend the money on a larger blackjacket than my 4x5 version.

Alan Gales
26-Jan-2015, 12:06
I own both a BTZS which I bought for 4x5 and also a BlackJacket which I later bought for my 8x10.

The BlackJacket is as dark as you are going to get. It's black under there! :cool: On the downside, the BlackJacket is a bit more finicky to use than the BTZS and takes a little longer since you put your arms through it. Both are very nice dark cloths though and I'd highly recommend either one.

Bruce Barlow
26-Jan-2015, 12:20
I use a black $3 T-shirt from Walmart. The neck fits the back of my 4x5. REversed, it fits over the back of my 8x10, and my face fits in the neck hole. I got two and doubled them up to eliminate all light inside. My sister sewed up the armholes. Works great.

Bruce B
26-Jan-2015, 15:15
Enough with the white and black cloth.....you need a waterproof focusing hood? What, a plumbing leak in your studio :). Although I can see how the waterproof feature might be useful for light bouncing :).

Thanks for all the input. Even about the black and white cloth :). The black T-shirt might work, but the BTZS wouldn't, as the Horseman L-frame is a monorail camera, sic:
Not only could I not get the BTZS around the monorail, there are adjustments on the L-frame. Which is why I was looking for something like a big sock that would fit over just the ground glass/film holder.

No suggestions refused :),
BAB

StoneNYC
26-Jan-2015, 17:13
Enough with the white and black cloth.....you need a waterproof focusing hood? What, a plumbing leak in your studio :). (Snip)

Not everyone hides away in the studio, some of us actually go outside ;)

Shootar401
26-Jan-2015, 17:21
A piece of black fabric from a sewing/fabric store. Won't cost much and you can check the transparency of the fabric at the store.

Yup that's what I have, some blackout curtain material in white sewn to some black cotton and a length of black 550 cord used as a drawstring. Cost me about $15 in all.

Roger Thoms
26-Jan-2015, 20:09
How do you focus if the focus knob is inside the hood? I like the BlackJacket because it gives tit the arms option. Though with my new camera i've been getting by with just a dark cloth over me, mostly just because I haven't wanted to spend the money on a larger blackjacket than my 4x5 version.

I open up the Velcro on the just enough to reach my hand in. I also have the Blackjacket and it is nice to, but I went back to the BTZS hood because it is simpler.

Roger

Liquid Artist
27-Jan-2015, 07:44
Mine is 1.5 yards of both White and Black Blackout curtain material sewn together with a piece of velcro on one end.
It is a little heavy, but works quite well.
It has also doubled as a blanket more than once.

I originally used black T-shirts.
It worked quite nicely, however I felt like an idiot in public places.
Plus when people are curious about it, they are more comfortable under a darkcloth than looking through a T-shirt.

Bruce B
27-Jan-2015, 08:13
What a great idea, going outdoors! :o

Bruce B
27-Jan-2015, 08:20
I suspect making my own hood as mentioned above is the best idea. It might cost more than $15 cuz we have no sewing machine and I'd have to hire out the stitching, but it would at least be light weight. I'll taper it out so I can get my face inside....I'm near sighted and the way I prefer to make fine adjustments is with my specs off so I can get close the ground glass. It's a pain but it works, yet I need to put the glasses back on to use my loop. A light-weight homemade BTZS with a drawstring.

mikeobrien
29-Jan-2015, 15:13
Has anyone tried the dark cloths out of Korea or China on ebay that are red on one side and black on the other? Some are quite cheap. I need something that will fit over a Toyo 45G.