PDA

View Full Version : Sinar P2 front standard max load

danielkristofy
23-Jan-2015, 14:06
I recently bought a 4x5 Sinar p2, and have a couple of lenses I was unable to mount on my other cameras - either because of their weight or size. The largest one is a barrel type Zeiss APO Germinar W 240mm f8 (like this one: http://album.foto.ru/photos/pr0/46537/2339261.jpg ). So it's back threaded instead of being center mounted, and kind of heavy: 3.5 kg or so. Do you think a normal P2 front standard is sturdy enough to handle that?

Thanks!

koh303
23-Jan-2015, 14:55
Yes. It is by far stronger then that (don't ask me how i know).

8x10 user
23-Jan-2015, 15:05
Yes, that lens would be no problem for the P2. The heaviest lens sold by sinar for that system is probably the 480mm Apo Sironar N. I'd say the limit for the P2 is around 5-7 lbs. I've seen heavier lenses such as the 1000mm Apo Ronar that were mounted by Sinar however they used 2 lensboards so that two standards can be used to support the lens.

P2's vary a lot on condition. When the parts become more worn then the standard will sag under heavy weight. This can be fixed by sending the standard in for service. George Brown (apogeebee) will service Sinar cameras for a reasonable fee. Those who are interested in service can also have their camera upgraded to brass gears versus the standard nylon ones.

Tin Can
23-Jan-2015, 15:09
Yes, that lens would be no problem for the P2. The heaviest lens sold by sinar for that system is probably the 480mm Apo Sironar N. I'd say the limit for the P2 is around 5-7 lbs. I've seen heavier lenses such as the 1000mm Apo Ronar that were mounted by Sinar however they used 2 lensboards so that two standards can be used to support the lens.

P2's vary a lot on condition. When the parts become more worn then the standard will sag under heavy weight. This can be fixed by sending the standard in for service. George Brown (apogeebee) will service Sinar cameras for a reasonable fee. Those who are interested in service can also have their camera upgraded to brass gears versus the standard nylon ones.

Wish I known about retro fitting brass gears before I gave up Sinar for Horseman.

:)

danielkristofy
23-Jan-2015, 15:29
Thanks! Though the 480mm Apo Sironar N you mentioned is only 5 lbs - the Apo Germinar W I have is around 8. Still I'll try it - at least if it crumbles, I know who to turn to:)

Oren Grad
23-Jan-2015, 15:32
Yes, that lens would be no problem for the P2. The heaviest lens sold by sinar for that system is probably the 480mm Apo Sironar N.

That lens is mounted in shutter and some of the weight is behind the lens board, which provides some balance. Seems to me that we should be concerned here not just with how much weight the standard can bear, but with how much of an excess in weight hanging off the front of the lens board the standard can tolerate before the lens board retainer fails and the board with front-mounted lens falls off the camera.

pierre506
23-Jan-2015, 16:33
No problem, Daniel,
I used to put an Aero Ektar 12in f2.5 lens on it coverted to 5x7~

David A. Goldfarb
23-Jan-2015, 16:57
I put all sorts of big lenses on the front of my Sinar P--360/4.5 Heliar, 14.5" Verito, Petzval of around 14", and others, often with a Luc-type shutter mounted on the front of the lens as well as the lens being mounted from the rear threads, and a pneumatic hose on the shutter.

Tin Can
23-Jan-2015, 16:58
That lens is mounted in shutter and some of the weight is behind the lens board, which provides some balance. Seems to me that we should be concerned here not just with how much weight the standard can bear, but with how much of an excess in weight hanging off the front of the lens board the standard can tolerate before the lens board retainer fails and the board with front-mounted lens falls off the camera.

Good point. SINAR lens board keeper screws are tiny and I have seen them snap their heads off. I'm working on safety leashes for my heavy lenses, sorta like safely wires on theatrical lights.

Dan Fromm
23-Jan-2015, 18:02
Have any of you considered putting a crutch under a heavy lens? I've used an inexpensive lab jack on a Cambo (square rail, this might not work as well on a camera with a round rail) and a modified front standard.

Oren Grad
23-Jan-2015, 18:08
I have a Sinar P myself - was actually wrestling (word chosen advisedly!) with it this afternoon, reconfiguring it from 5x7 to 8x10. The standards proper are pretty beefy, but the little sliders that hold the lens board in place, and the little flip lever that moves the sliders, are most assuredly not. Not saying it can't or shouldn't be done, but I would be very careful in handing a Sinar that has a 3.5 kg weight doing its darndest to keel over and tear out the top of the front frame.

Oren Grad
23-Jan-2015, 18:12
Have any of you considered putting a crutch under a heavy lens?

Yes. That is very good advice.

Adamphotoman
23-Jan-2015, 18:49
You can find an F2 accessory standard , remove the 4x5 part and fix a wooden 1/2 circle padded cradle to it.. It now will support the weight and you can raise shift and tilt it.