PDA

View Full Version : Is there a 'standard' 8x10 to 4x5 reduction back

Ken Lee
27-Dec-2004, 20:52
Is there such a thing as a standard back or holder, to allow a 'standard' 8x10 to take 4x5 holders ?

I have an 8x10 Shen-Hao on order, and wonder how I might use it to shoot an occasional 4x5, if I ever need to.

Nick_3536
27-Dec-2004, 20:56
http://www.toho-machine.co.jp/Reducing.htm

Those seem interesting.

Did you ask Shen Hao if they make a 4x5 back for the 8x10? Who did you order the camera from?

Gem Singer
27-Dec-2004, 21:18
Hi Ken,

I have a 4x5 reducing back for my new 8x10 Tachihara. However, it is not a standard size. It was custom built for the Tachi and probably won't fit the Shen Hao. Check with Shen Hao. They just might make a 4x5 reducing back for their 8x10 camera.

Eric Leppanen
27-Dec-2004, 22:54
Ken,

In talking with several 8x10 camera manufacturers earlier this year, I was told that a reducing back displaces the entire ground glass mounting frame on the rear standard. Since there is no standard for ground glass mounting frame dimensions, a 4x5 reducing back has to be custom-fit to each particular camera (even if the reducing back and camera are built by the same manufacturer). Several camera manufacturers offered to fit a third-party reducing back (Horseman and Canham were cited as potential sources) to a camera on order, as long as it was shipped to them prior to camera assembly. I assume they then build a custom adapter frame or gasket to fit the back to the camera.

If Shen Hao does not have a reducing back of their own, ask them which third-party backs they can adapt. One would think one way or the other they'd come up with a solution for you.

Ralph Barker
28-Dec-2004, 02:08
I did what Eric described - I made an adapter frame that allows me to use the reducing back from the Toyo that I use in the studio on my Tachihara for field use. Getting the light trap to fit was a little tricky, and I used a combination miter and half-lap joint for the corners:
<table>
<tr><td>http://www.rbarkerphoto.com/misc/Photo-gear/ReducingBack06-550c.jpg</td>
<td>http://www.rbarkerphoto.com/misc/Photo-gear/ReducingBack04-550c.jpg</td>
</tr>
</table>

One thing to note. The adapter does add to the extension, so shorter focal lengths that might work directly on the camera might not work with the 4x5 adapter. In my case, for example, the shortest lens I can use with my adapter on the Tachi is about 150mm.

Steve Hamley
28-Dec-2004, 05:07
Ken,

Agfa and Kodak (maybe more) made 8x10 holders with a 4x5 insert. These come up on eBay from time to time, and you might find them at the big photo dealers in NYC, Midwest, Quality Camera, etc. If you can find a couple, all you'd need is 4x5 frame lines on your 8x10 glass.

Steve

Ken Lee
28-Dec-2004, 06:55
Nick - I ordered the camera from Shen-Hao in Shangai. They are a little slow answeng their emails from time to time, so I thought I'd ask the sages on the list - but I will ask them and post the answer.

Nick_3536
28-Dec-2004, 07:12
I know what you mean. I've been waiting for an answer for a week or so now. Could you ask if they have both a 4x5 and a 5x7 back for the 8x10?

Ted Harris
28-Dec-2004, 07:38
Ken,

I had a similar discussion with Dick Phillips several years ago when I ordered my Compact II. He said he;d e happy to d it if I shipped him a third party back and recommend a Deardorf as potentially he easies back to modify. However, he recommended against doing so for one good simple reason. The weight and size of the reducing back would be substantial ending up saving me very little. The back would weigh nearly as much (or perhaps more) than a compact 4x5 field and would take up as much space.

I listened and never had it done.

Nick_3536
28-Dec-2004, 08:01
Okay what is the a real light 4x5? 2lbs or more? Plus to use the 4x5 camera you'd likely need new lensboards. Or at least some sort of adapter to allow using the lenses on both cameras.

I'm thinking about my Ansco 5x7 adding a 4x5 back wouldn't add much weight or space. An 8x10 would have a bigger/heavier back.

Ken Lee
28-Dec-2004, 08:19
The Gowland 4x5's are quite light, but among the more popular models, the Tachihara comes to mind as being quite light, yet fully featured and affordable. I sold mine and got an ArcaSwiss Discovery. I hope to sell that when I move up to 8x10, but thought it might be nice to retain the ability to shoot 4x5.

As to lens boards, the ShenHao 8x10 is designed to take Technika/Tachihara sized boards by default. So I can use the same boards I already have, which are small and portable - and made of metal.

When I didn't hear from them after a week, I had a colleague, whose brother works in Shanghai, arrange to have his brother make a local phone call to them. They are very nice, but perhaps a little behind the times in terms of e-business. When the camera arrives, I will post some kind of review if anyone is interested.

Deniz
28-Dec-2004, 08:42
here is an article that i wrote a short while back. http://www.apug.org/forums/article.php?a=58 (http://www.apug.org/forums/article.php?a=58)

i hope it helps

jnantz
28-Dec-2004, 10:32
ken -

i have a 5x7 camera whose back is not removable ( just the ground glass ) and i asked a similar question a while back (wanting to make 4-5 exposures using some of the 8-10 portrait lenses i have ... ). tim atherton turned me onto the toho reducing back, and i bought one. it took quite a while to make it through customs in chicago but it was well worth the long wait. the folks at badger graphics were great to work with :).

while mine isn't a 8-10 to 4-5, i imagine there isn't much of a differenct between them ( aside from the price ) it was the perfect solution to the problem i had, since my back was not removable. i later bought a 8-10 camera made by the same manufacturer as my 5-7 ( szabad out of sweden ) and it came with both 8-10 to 5-7 & 4-5 reducing backs. the 4-5 back is a graflok back pretty much like the one deniz shows how to make. if you have the time, tools and patience, you might consider making your own, it'll save you a pretty big chunk of change.

- john

Ralph Barker
28-Dec-2004, 13:32
Toho also makes a reducing film holder:

http://www.toho-machine.co.jp/Reducing.htm (http://www.toho-machine.co.jp/Reducing.htm)

The key point, I believe, is to think about how you'd want to use any sort of adapter, and then pick the approach that best suits your individual needs. For example, one of the reasons I went with the approach that I did (illustrated above) is that the Toyo back provides a Graflok interface, thus allowing me to use Graflok-based roll-film holders, as well.

Ken Lee
30-Dec-2004, 05:44
I heard back from Shen-Hao. They do make a reducing back, and ask $200 USD for it.

Nick_3536
30-Dec-2004, 06:52
Ken what email address are you using to contact Shen-Hao?

Ken Lee
30-Dec-2004, 07:11
Nick -

The address is zhangfmli AT vip.sina DOT COM

(I have obfuscated the address in an attempt to spare them from spammers)

Nick_3536
30-Dec-2004, 09:19
Thanks Ken. I've not been getting any response from that. I wonder if my ISP is having problems.