PDA

View Full Version : Cracked dark slides...

jpoutasse
21-Jan-2015, 05:21
I have an 8x10 film holder with cracks on both slides. Is there any way to fix them?

One has a long (2") crack that starts at the edge and goes towards the center. The other cracks are like those little radiating circles you get on your windshield when a rock hits it. There's one on each side. Each are about the size of a pencil eraser.

I'm thinking I'll probably have to find replacement slides but I thought I'd throw it out there first.

Thanks

Bruce Barlow
21-Jan-2015, 05:50
I replaced my cracked one. Life's too short... Got a replacement from B&H, but that was a looong time ago.

Jim Becia
21-Jan-2015, 06:10
I have an 8x10 film holder with cracks on both slides. Is there any way to fix them?

One has a long (2") crack that starts at the edge and goes towards the center. The other cracks are like those little radiating circles you get on your windshield when a rock hits it. There's one on each side. Each are about the size of a pencil eraser.

I'm thinking I'll probably have to find replacement slides but I thought I'd throw it out there first.

Thanks

I have used small pieces of black electrical tape to repair small cracks without any negligible problems. Seems to work fine for me. It is thin enough that it does not prevent the dark slide from sliding in and out, even if the crack is located on the edge. I can be pretty rough on some things, and the dark slides seem to be the one thing that gets dinged up. Not sure how, but they do. I keep a small roll do tape in my pack now.

vinny
21-Jan-2015, 06:14
What jim said. I've got several 8x10 holders in bad shape but no light leaks.

Ari
21-Jan-2015, 07:02
Thin black polyester tape works well for me.

IanG
21-Jan-2015, 07:15
I've managed to repair these cracks using Super Glue and black nail polish yo the point they are almost invisible 6 or 7 years later.

Uan

Liquid Artist
21-Jan-2015, 12:07
If I really needed all my film holders I'd probably use the crazy glue plus nail polish technique.
Knowing my luck the electrical tape would come off and ruin something.

However I have more film holders than I truly need, and have some set aside for spare parts.
I've turned 1 darkslide from my parts bin into a 1/2 slide for pano work on every size of camera I shoot.

Old-N-Feeble
21-Jan-2015, 12:30
If you decide to replace them I have a few. If they're the right size then I'll list them on eBay and PM the link if you're interested.

MODS: If my post is inappropriate then please remove it.

Corran
21-Jan-2015, 13:41
I repaired a very small hole in an 8x10 darkslide with liquid electrical tape. That stuff is awesome. No leaks, I tested it.

I also repaired a hole in the shutter curtain of my Canon P rangefinder with LET!

Drew Bedo
24-Jan-2015, 07:40
In DIY threads I sometimes see references made to using black Formica laminate used for the dark slide on a home-made ULF film holder.
Does that work?

Myself . . .I would be looking for a replacement slide from a utherwise unsalvageable donor holder.

John Kasaian
28-Jan-2015, 22:05
If I really needed all my film holders I'd probably use the crazy glue plus nail polish technique.
Knowing my luck the electrical tape would come off and ruin something.

However I have more film holders than I truly need, and have some set aside for spare parts.
I've turned 1 darkslide from my parts bin into a 1/2 slide for pano work on every size of camera I shoot.
I too keep a cannibal box with damaged and leaky holders for parts. The thin flaps on old wooden holders are particularly susceptible to damage.