PDA

View Full Version : film selection

chris_4622
26-Dec-2004, 17:56
Hi,
I am working on a job (woodworker) that I would like to shoot with my 4x5 after I install it. The home has a great deal of natural light coming in and my project will be well lighted with indirect light due to the open floor plan of the house. The project is a made of figured maple finished natural. I would like to shoot it without any additional lighting since I don't have any experience with that. All of my lf is outdoors; I use Velvia 50. I would like some suggestions for a color film (slide) that I could use under these conditions and obtain good results. These photos are not for publication, it is such a unique job I would like to record it.

Thanks for your help. I enjoy this forum and appreciate the knowledge shared.

David A. Goldfarb
26-Dec-2004, 19:04
If accuracy is very important, then Kodak EPN. For a little more vivid color without distortive effects, Provia 100F.

Sal Santamaura
26-Dec-2004, 19:52
Bear in mind that, if the home's natural light is filtered by window glass, you'll have a slight green cast in the images. Exact magenta filtration to balance that out must be determined by either a color temperature meter or trial and error.

Sergio Caetano
26-Dec-2004, 19:58
IMO you already use the best for that purpose. Velvia 50 has resolution and color saturation similar to old Kodachrome. It has been my favorite for years.

steve simmons
26-Dec-2004, 20:34
Youneed to be very carful about the contrast range in the scene. It may look evenly lit to your eyes but have much more contrast than the film can handle. Take careful spot meter readings in several areas and if the range is more than 3 1/2 stops it is too much for an available light shot. IMHOVelvia would be a bd choice. If you insis on doing he shot yourself try the Provia.

If this is an important example of your woodworking abilities I would suggest hiring a professional.

steve simmons

steve simmons
26-Dec-2004, 21:01
What do you want as final product? If you want a color print you might want to consider using a color negative film. Exposure and color balance are less critial as much an be done in the printing.

steve simmons

Steve Hoffmann
27-Dec-2004, 08:36
Consider Fuji Astia F ISO 100. It has lower contrast than just about any other transparency material. It sounds to me like you will have rather contrasty lighting. Astia also has very neutral color balance. It's not warm like Velvia or cold like Provia.

John Caruso
27-Dec-2004, 09:02
I photograph alot of woodworking as well as other artwork indoors with tungston lights. Chances are very high that your wont have enough natural light. Resoprosity could be a problem with EPN and most color transparancies with indirect natural light indoors.

Be sure to check the color temperature, since it will change throught the day and effect your recorded colors. The color of your walls will effect color temp as well.

EPY film and LOTS of light (3000+ watts continious) has given me the best results.
Also if you have a gloss finish on the maple, you may need to polarize.

John

John Caruso
27-Dec-2004, 09:10
After rereading things here. You really don't need all that if you just want to document your work. Sorry, I got carried away. Maybe you could be easy on yourself and take some good 35mm or med format negative roll fim.

Scott Atkinson
27-Dec-2004, 11:31
For what it's worth, if I were shooting this on assignment I'd use Astia--unless you wanted the color punched up, in which case I'd also try a litle Ektachrome 100VS.