PDA

View Full Version : Len haze

SMBooth
18-Jan-2015, 18:21
How much lens haze is to much. Ive been offer a nice deal on a 14inch Kodak Commercial Ektar in shutter which has some haze of the front element which with a simple clean did not clear.

Old-N-Feeble
18-Jan-2015, 19:02
IMHO, the least bit of haze is bad for your images. If you can buy the lens cheaply enough to have it professionally cleaned... plus some financial cushion for damage beyond repairability (insurance)... then go for it.

SMBooth
18-Jan-2015, 19:15
Not sure if this shows it, maybe coating?

koh303
18-Jan-2015, 19:15
In most cases you will not notice haze (even severe cases), even when you scrutinize your negatives.
In some cases, it might cause flare/blow out and or blur under certain lighting conditions. Use a lens shade and do not worry about it.

There is no "el cheapo" lens worth professionally cleaning.

koh303
18-Jan-2015, 19:16
Not sure if this shows it, maybe coating?

Most def coating failure - nothing to worry about in most cases, and - same advice as above applies - use a lens shade, and be happy photographing!

Jac@stafford.net
18-Jan-2015, 19:54
Pre WWII coatings were so fragile that wiping them gently could remove the coating.

Louis Pacilla
18-Jan-2015, 23:18
Pre WWII coatings were so fragile that wiping them gently could remove the coating.

Most if not all commercial coating of lenses was done post WWII.

Ari
19-Jan-2015, 07:12
Most if not all commercial coating of lenses was done post WWII.

It's "most" :); the lens shown was made in 1941.

Louis Pacilla
19-Jan-2015, 07:42
Agreed, but the lens shown was made in 1941.

Yep, That's my point. 1st off the Ektar is not a "Commercial Ektar" but the previous "Eastman Ektar"This was manufactured Prior to commercial use of Lumenized lens coating which Had not been invented or used in production as of yet.

Probably light scratches on the surface glass or possibly a post production (after market) coating added after WWII that has been scratched by faulty cleaning .

btw- I guess it could have been one of the 1st to receive Lumenized coating I guess but seems a bit to early.It could have been manufactured for our military and a test of lumenized coating.

buggz
19-Jan-2015, 09:28
What exactly is lens haze?
Why is it so difficult to print?

SMBooth
19-Jan-2015, 13:09
Right on both accounts re date and name. As far as I can tell the only difference between the commercial and the Eastman is the new L coating. Is it the coating that makes the lens so nice or the design?
Regarding the haze it does really seem to be on the front of the front element, can it be polished off, and if so with what. Or just leave it as suggested.

RSalles
19-Jan-2015, 13:56
Polishing a lens it's not that simple as seems and recommended only for professionals.
Haze can be fog - humidity, and can be also traces of minimal scratches. A pic of the lens against a strong light source would be great for evaluation.
Haze can degrade the contrast of the lens, and can increase the amount of flare or shows flare where it was not previously. Long story short: send to a good technician for a complete CLA, these old Kodaks are pretty good glasses and deserves a reborn, if possible,

Cheers,

Renato

buggz
19-Jan-2015, 16:40
Hah, I said print, I was in the middle of a print operation thought process...
Anywho, I meant why is it so difficult to clean?
Embedded in the glass, and doesn't wipe off?

What exactly is lens haze?
Why is it so difficult to print?

Luis-F-S
19-Jan-2015, 18:06
There is no "el cheapo" lens worth professionally cleaning.

Where do you send a lens to have it cleaned? Never needed to do that in 40 years! L