PDA

View Full Version : old lenses Help!

thejester83
18-Jan-2015, 16:17
so I have these old brass lenses and I am trying to get some info and find out what they are worth. any help would be great!

thejester83
18-Jan-2015, 16:24
it will not let me post any photos but i will post more later

thejester83
18-Jan-2015, 17:41
This is what the big one the left has on it and I have 7 aperture plates for it that say 2,3,5,7.5,10,25,50 on them.

J.H.Dallmeyer
N,, 62057 London
3.A.
June 11th patent.(US)1867

thejester83
18-Jan-2015, 17:48
I have not done any cleaning on them for fear of doing something wrong, they are in the condition I found them in.

pierre506
18-Jan-2015, 17:54
I have not done any cleaning on them for fear of doing something wrong, they are in the condition I found them in.

Don't clean them , please.
Let it be~

8x10 user
18-Jan-2015, 17:58
pm sent

Old-N-Feeble
18-Jan-2015, 18:42
Do your research before selling anything to anyone.

djdister
18-Jan-2015, 19:03
Go to ebay and look for sold listings for these items.

Fotoguy20d
18-Jan-2015, 19:08
Those are some pretty valuable lenses. Research carefully and thoroughly.

8x10 user
18-Jan-2015, 19:28
Not super valuable. My offer on the two larger ones is very reasonable and is within the ranges that these normally sell for (based on dans site and my own experiances)... These are in unverified condition, and being sold by a non expert (without professional images and not professionally cleaned glass). The dallmeyer is an early model with aperture stops and no soft focus feature.

Those are some pretty valuable lenses. Research carefully and thoroughly.

Old-N-Feeble
18-Jan-2015, 19:35
careful...............

Fotoguy20d
18-Jan-2015, 19:37
Not super valuable. My offer on the two larger ones is very reasonable and is within the ranges that these normally sell for (based on dans site and my own experiances)... These are in unverified condition, and being sold by a non expert (without professional images and not professionally cleaned glass). The dallmeyer is an early model with aperture stops and no soft focus feature.

Methinks thou doth protest too much.

thejester83
18-Jan-2015, 19:37
where would I get these professionally cleaned at?

Old-N-Feeble
18-Jan-2015, 19:38
research before selling

8x10 user
18-Jan-2015, 19:54
I just dont want you to give the guy the wrong idea about the value of the items. My offer was very reasonable. We're not talking $8,000 lenses here (as the op speculated the maximum value of one lens might be). 3a's are not that uncommon.

Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Fotoguy20d
18-Jan-2015, 19:58
So what did you tell him a 3A is worth?

Old-N-Feeble
18-Jan-2015, 20:03
right...

Old-N-Feeble
18-Jan-2015, 20:05
let's get all warm and fuzzy here...

what's the truth of the matter?

Old-N-Feeble
18-Jan-2015, 20:05
seller... and buyer... beware

8x10 user
18-Jan-2015, 20:09
I offered him the most that I am willing to pay for the item. Which IMO is about what he would get on his end if he took it to sotheby's but without the hassle.

John Kasaian
18-Jan-2015, 20:09
Voigtlanders are fairly sought after, but you need to know the focal lengths to connect with serious buyers. Some, like that 3B are well known lenses but for the others, you really need to find out the focal length----easy enough to approximate by projecting an image on a blank wall in a darkened room and measuring the distance from the rear cell to the wall.

djdister
18-Jan-2015, 20:11
Cleaning should be done by a professional, but if you aren't keeping them for yourself, do not clean them.

djdister
18-Jan-2015, 20:15
I offered him the most that I am willing to pay for the item. Which IMO is about what he would get on his end if he took it to sotheby's but without the hassle.

Please be advised that this is not the proper place to negotiate a sale/purchase.

Old-N-Feeble
18-Jan-2015, 20:15

What makes you think i was referring to your contact with the op? I don't know you.

8x10 user
18-Jan-2015, 20:18
It seemed like you were commenting on my posts since your post directly followed mine and you repeated yourself with big red letters. Also you said "seller... and buyer... beware" knowing that I was an interested buyer.

What makes you think i was referring to your contact with the op? I don't know you.

Old-N-Feeble
18-Jan-2015, 20:21
It seemed like you were commenting on my posts since your post directly followed mine and you repeated your sell with big red letters. Also you said "seller... and buyer... beware" knowing that I was an interested buyer.

Okay then... let's call each other out into the open.

How much did you offer the op for his lenses and which ones? He's a noob.....

8x10 user
18-Jan-2015, 20:25
I am no longer interested in the lenses. Good luck with the sale. Thank the intrusive fellow from Texas for costing you a potential buyer.

Old-N-Feeble
18-Jan-2015, 20:33
I am no longer interested in the lenses. Good luck with the sale. Thank the intrusive fellow from Texas for costing you a potential buyer.

Or maybe... thank a fellow LFPI member from Texas helps another from selling items for too little money? Tell me, 8x10, why are you so angry?

djdister
18-Jan-2015, 20:34

This is not a for sale thread!

8x10 user
18-Jan-2015, 20:36
Okay then... let's call each other out into the open.

How much did you offer the op for his lenses and which ones? He's a noob.....

Dans site shows many instances of this lens selling for $900-1200. I offered him more that that for two lenses (the other one being less valuable then the Dallmeyer). He would not have had to pay to have the lenses professionally cleaned, nor would he have had to research the item to put together a proper description, or taken better photos. Also he would not have had to pay ebay and paypal 15% of the sale.

I think it was a fair price considering the risk I would be taking by buying from an unknown person who is not familiar with the items he is selling. It was much more then I paid for the last dallmeyer I purchased which was a more desirable and valuable lens.

The last time I purchased from a newb here I was ripped off for $1000.

While we are calling each other out. What is your ebay id? I think I will be avoiding any purchases from you as well.

8x10 user
18-Jan-2015, 20:38
Or maybe... thank a fellow LFPI member from Texas helps another from selling items for too little money? Tell me, 8x10, why are you so angry?

I found your posts to be intrusive.

Old-N-Feeble
18-Jan-2015, 20:39
What is your eBay ID?

8x10 user
18-Jan-2015, 20:41
It's the one with private feedback that buys a lot of nice glass.

Old-N-Feeble
18-Jan-2015, 20:42
I found your posts to be intrusive.

Intrusive? Maybe.

Helpful to the OP's original question? Probably.

Helpful to a profiteer? No.

Old-N-Feeble
18-Jan-2015, 20:43
It's the one with private feedback that buys a lot of nice glass.

You asked a direct question and are unwilling to provide a direct answer to the very same query. Why? My eBay feedback is not "private". Why is yours?

thejester83
18-Jan-2015, 20:44
WOW!!! Yes I am a "Noob" at large format but not life. I never said they were worth $8000 I said I have found listing for similar lens from $1500-$8000. Not saying they are even worth $1500. That is why I am posting here to get more info on them. Not trying to screw any one here, just trying to find out what I may have here so I can sell them at a fare price.

Old-N-Feeble
18-Jan-2015, 20:47
Some of us are suggesting you be careful buying or selling on forums. There are many profiteers here and on other forums who will take advantage of your lack of knowledge. Be cautious..... do your research.

Tin Can
18-Jan-2015, 20:48
Why wasn't this thread flagged for all the buying and selling implications?

djdister
18-Jan-2015, 20:51

I've flagged it twice so far...

Tin Can
18-Jan-2015, 20:54
I've flagged it twice so far...

Trice with mine added.

Old-N-Feeble
18-Jan-2015, 20:56
It seems I'm making another enemy in this thread (not you, Randy). I speak my mind even though I risk being banned. I must... we all must... stand behind each other and the noobs. This is a friendly forum in support of LF photography... not a profiteering commercial site for a very few members.

We've got to watch out for one another.

8x10 user
18-Jan-2015, 20:57
My feedback is private because it reduces the number of times I am targeted by scammers. Some of the lenses I purchase are high profile and some are less well known. There's enough people looking for the high profile ones and I dont need someone going through my purchase history to find the less well known ones. I have purchased a lot of nice glass.

So my offer to the OP was $1500 (now withdrawn). You called me out and made a public spectacle of me trying to purchase a lens from another member at a price that I was ok with.

Now what is your ebay id? Quid Pro Quo

You asked a direct question and are unwilling to provide a direct answer to the very same query. Why? My eBay feedback is not "private". Why is yours?

Tim Meisburger
18-Jan-2015, 20:58
I flagged it as well. I feel sorry for the OP, who asked a simple question, and ended up in the middle of a war.

Old-N-Feeble
18-Jan-2015, 20:59
My feedback is private because it reduces the number of times I am targeted by scammers. Some of the lenses I purchase are high profile and some are less well known. There's enough people looking for the high profile ones and I dont need someone going through my purchase history to find the less well known ones. I have purchased a lot of nice glass.

So my offer to the OP was $1500 (now withdrawn). You called me out and made a public spectacle of me trying to purchase a lens from another member at a price that I was ok with.

Now what is your ebay id? Quid Pro Quo

You provide your eBay ID and I'll provide mine.

pierre506
18-Jan-2015, 21:00

Dear Randy, everybody knows the most potential lenses buyers, users and collectors want to buy lenses in a fair low price from a newbie.
So far, we have not seen any instructive value indication about the OP 's lenses in this thread.
OP, do your research homework.
Some soft focus lenses sales by C. C. Harrison might help you a little.
The most recent DAllmeyer 3A lens sale was USD 1500 in that thread.

Old-N-Feeble
18-Jan-2015, 21:01
I flagged it as well. I feel sorry for the OP, who asked a simple question, and ended up in the middle of a war.

Some of us recognized a low-ball offer for the OP's lenses. We are just trying to protect a fellow forum member (and noob) from such silliness. Is that really a forum sin?

thejester83
18-Jan-2015, 21:02
Am I not doing my research right now? Did I do something wrong by asking what these are worth and for info on them?

8x10 user
18-Jan-2015, 21:03
Sorry to the OP. This is the site (http://antiquecameras.net/softfocuslenssales.html) that you want.

Old-N-Feeble
18-Jan-2015, 21:05
I think the OP can decide for himself what is right and what is wrong regarding to posts here.

Tin Can
18-Jan-2015, 21:07
Flagging is something we as members do with the black triangle. Mods may have a different opinion of this thread and it's contents.

Their judgment is all that counts here.

That said, we have had people both new and experienced with this forum attempt to forget or ignore the rules.

I am not pointing any fingers, and absolutely we all delight in a bargain.

8x10 user
18-Jan-2015, 21:08
The last one on ebay went for 1400 but ebay/paypal take 15% Given the extra work it takes to sell on ebay and the unknowns from point of view I'd say it was a fair offer that I made. I never lied or mislead anyone. Yes people like to buy for a lower price and the highest prices tend to come from well known sellers who really know there stuff and use nice equipment to photograph the equipment. There are risks to buying and selling on ebay as well.

Tim Meisburger
18-Jan-2015, 21:09
No, you did nothing wrong. The easiest way to get an idea of value is to determine the type and focal length of the lens, then search completed listings on ebay, and listings in the For Sale section here on the forum. You have to be a member for thirty days before you can access the For Sale forum, but in the meantime eBay is a good resource. If any of the lenses are soft focus, there is also a very good thread here on their current value, and searching it will get accurate info.

The controversy here is that selling is not permitted on the site anywhere but the For Sale thread. But you didn't try to sell anything, someone else tried to buy. Stick around and all your questions will actually be answered. Do you know how to determine focal length?

8x10 user
18-Jan-2015, 21:12
The controversy here is that selling is not permitted on the site anywhere but the For Sale thread. But you didn't try to sell anything, someone else tried to buy. Stick around and all your questions will actually be answered. Do you know how to determine focal length?

But it happens all to the time by very well known and respected members of the forum. I tired to negotiate in private through pm. I'm sorry I said "pm sent".

8x10 user
18-Jan-2015, 21:14
I pmed you my ebay id, please PM me yours. I do not want to accidentally purchase from you.

I'm going to bed now. OP, I wish you luck with the sale. Mods... I'm sorry about this getting out of hand.

You provide your eBay ID and I'll provide mine.

djdister
18-Jan-2015, 21:21
Am I not doing my research right now? Did I do something wrong by asking what these are worth and for info on them?

You did not do anything wrong, but you could have been more extensive with your research. As mentioned before, searching for open, completed and sold listings on ebay is one avenue of research. Searching this forum for any threads which mention these lenses, including the for sale thread, is another avenue of research. Since you are a new member, you won't have access to the for sale forum until you have been a member for 30 days. Searching out other sites on the internet is yet another avenue of research to pursue. Your research could go beyond simply asking a question. Asking a question may get you lots of opinions, but if you do your research, looking for actual sales of these lenses, you will have something more tangible than a bunch of opinions.

thejester83
18-Jan-2015, 21:34
You did not do anything wrong, but you could have been more extensive with your research. As mentioned before, searching for open, completed and sold listings on ebay is one avenue of research. Searching this forum for any threads which mention these lenses, including the for sale thread, is another avenue of research. Since you are a new member, you won't have access to the for sale forum until you have been a member for 30 days. Searching out other sites on the internet is yet another avenue of research to pursue. Your research could go beyond simply asking a question. Asking a question may get you lots of opinions, but if you do your research, looking for actual sales of these lenses, you will have something more tangible than a bunch of opinions.

I am confused is this not a forum about Large Format photo? Then why is this not the best place to find info on my lenses? next question. do I need to start a new thread?

thejester83
18-Jan-2015, 21:37
And when I do go to sell I will post in the proper place, just trying get info not trying to start a war.

thejester83
18-Jan-2015, 21:38
No, you did nothing wrong. The easiest way to get an idea of value is to determine the type and focal length of the lens, then search completed listings on ebay, and listings in the For Sale section here on the forum. You have to be a member for thirty days before you can access the For Sale forum, but in the meantime eBay is a good resource. If any of the lenses are soft focus, there is also a very good thread here on their current value, and searching it will get accurate info.

No I do not know how to determine focal length, any help would be great :-)

8x10 user
18-Jan-2015, 21:42
The fellow from Texas says he flips lenses on ebay for profit regularly. After an event happened on this forum he said he would not use the forum for buying and selling but for some reason he wants to get in the middle of other peoples sales. He wont respond to my PM's asking for his ebay id. I gave him mine and you all saw him say he would send his in return.

I just wanted to buy a big dallmeyer lens for my century studio camera. I dont see what the big deal is or why this guy cares so much, especially given that buys and sells lenses for his own profit. The offer I made to op wasnt going to set any high price records but its not like I was trying to rip him off. The prices of these things vary a lot. I only paid $300 for the dallmeyer I have, which I purchased from a local fellow on craigslist. This one is a shorter focal length but has a bigger aperture. I would want to pay much more then I offered for the lens. Was it wrong for me to tell the seller what I would be willing to pay for this lens?

8x10 user
18-Jan-2015, 21:47
It's an 16" F/4 lens. The aperture stops are in the old US aperture system and are not the same as the standards we use today. Google old US aperture system. The design is similar to a petzval but with the flint and crown reversed in the rear group. Old catalogs are available on cameraeccentric (http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/dallmeyer_1.html). I believe the Euryscope is a rapid rectilinear.

No I do not know how to determine focal length, any help would be great :-)

lucaas
18-Jan-2015, 23:12
Dans site shows many instances of this lens selling for $900-1200. I offered him more that that for two lenses (the other one being less valuable then the Dallmeyer). He would not have had to pay to have the lenses professionally cleaned, nor would he have had to research the item to put together a proper description, or taken better photos. Also he would not have had to pay ebay and paypal 15% of the sale.

So you offered $1500 for 3A and the bigger Voigtlander lens?

Ken Lee
19-Jan-2015, 08:14
This sort of thread is an "edge case" which borders on a For Sale posting - and is therefore hard to moderate - and therefore a time waster for moderators.

There have been many complaints by forum members.

Enough advice has been given. Contact the OP if you like. This thread is closed. Best of luck with your eventual sales. :)

rdenney
19-Jan-2015, 09:46
I will add to Ken's comment that turning a request for information by a new user who does not yet have access to the for-sale forum into a sale discussion is 1.) against the spirit of the guidelines, and 2.) not subject to the guidelines against commenting on sales in that forum. Thus, the comments that sales should not be negotiated in this thread are correct, and warnings to the OP about being wary of offers to buy are entirely appropriate.

OP, please read the guidelines about for-sale postings. When you ask for value to what are likely to be a principal pool of buyers, the assumption that you are attempting a sale without waiting the required 30 days is entirely reasonable. Ask about history, how to measure focal length, and so on, but understand that asking about value is chumming for sharks.

And you sharks, don't encourage new posters to turn such a request into a sale thread. That is a violation of the guidelines.

Rick "agreeing with Ken that this wastes time" Denney