PDA

View Full Version : 110 XL and LINHOF TECHNIKA IV, max rise available?

giancatarina
25-Dec-2004, 18:37
Hi,
i'm considering to buy a LINHOF TECHNIKA IV (very cheap and in good condition) to use with a 110 xl.
I know it can't fit a recessed lens board (copal 1), and i won't be able to close the camera.
I used to have a Tech V some years ago, that i replace by a technikardan, and now using an Arca F line !
So please, i don't need advice again the technika, i know most of the limitation due to the box !
But, for travelling, and to make pictures in windy conditions with a normal lens (150 apo) without extensive movements... it still a good camera !
___________________________________________________________________________________

So my questions are (i don't have the camera yet):
shall i drop the door when using the 110 for vertical shots (as you need to do with 90)
and how much front rise is possible with the 110 at infinity on a flat lens board with a Technika IV ?

Thanks

Scott Rosenberg
26-Dec-2004, 03:01
i have a tech IV and a 110XL...

shall i drop the door when using the 110 for vertical shots
this is not necessary.

how much front rise is possible with the 110 at infinity on a flat lens board
in this department, the camera runs out of rise before the lens runs out of coverage.

giancatarina
26-Dec-2004, 05:00
how much front rise is possible with the 110 at infinity on a flat lens board
in this department, the camera runs out of rise before the lens runs out of coverage.

Yes i know, but will i be able to shift the lens to the max without problem (bellow close to the box) ?

Thanks

adrian tyler
26-Dec-2004, 05:58
what you can't do is use much front shift because it knocks against the hinges, which is a pain too because it is a useful movement to turn the camera on it's side and use front shift as back rise.

Frank Petronio
26-Dec-2004, 07:21
The 110XL has a cult following, and certainly has a great reputation, but it is overkill for a Tech IV. Why not use an inexpensive 135mm Schneider or Rodenstock, or a 100mm Kodak Wide-Field Ektar? Either would fold up into the camera, give you limited movements suited to the camera, and produce sharp, detailed images as nice as the 110XL. To my thinking, a 90mm Linhof Angulon and a 203 Ektar would make a sweet kit for this camera, and all three lenses could be left on the camera in most cases. And the total value of the entire kit could be around only $1200 USD ($200 per lens, $600 for the camera) or equal to the cost of just the 110XL.

If you want a durable, "beater" camera for travelling, why use such an expensive lenses on it?

giancatarina
26-Dec-2004, 08:26
If you want a durable, "beater" camera for travelling, why use such an expensive lenses on it?
i will use my apo sironar S 150, and i will use my 110 as a wide angle ( i have it already).
90 are too short, and 5,6 have a big back element, while the 110 back element is small !
135 is just too long to be consider as a wide angle !

To my thinking, a 90mm Linhof Angulon and a 203 Ektar would make a sweet kit for this camera...
i had a lot of lens, and sometimes i was thinkibg that using old lens for a 4x5 if you don't need much movement is quite a bad idea,
because 4x5 color film is expensive, process as well, and when you try a mamiya 7 with the M7 very good optics ...

If i shoot 4x5, it's to have a superior quality over a mamiya 7, so no compromisie in therm of lens quality (55 apo grandagon, 72Xl, 110Xl, 150 apo sironar S, and 180 apo symmar) !

I can use this lens with my arca 69, my arca 45, with roll film from 6x6 to 6x12 ... and maybe with my next linhof !
Large format lens can be use on different camera, so it's worth the investment !