PDA

View Full Version : Single-weight B/W paper

Mark Sampson
16-Jan-2015, 09:09
I have a potential project that will require single-weight, fiber-base B/W paper. I can't remember the last time I used any- perhaps Azo 10+ years ago.
A quick internet search suggests that s/w is about gone. Slavich still makes some; it's available from B&H as 'special order'. Anybody know of any other brands/suppliers?

Michael E
17-Jan-2015, 17:13
Banse und Grohmann in Germany offer "Wephota" paper single-weight in three grades. They also offer "document paper" which is even thinner and has a very matte, paper-like surface. I don't know where you can buy it the US.

Mark Sampson
18-Jan-2015, 20:33
Michael E, thanks. I'll probably go with the Slavich paper. The Wephota document paper sounds like the old Kodak "A" paper surface, which has been gone for 25 years or so. it was useful in its time, just not for enough of us, I guess.

jp
19-Jan-2015, 07:25
If you're willing to use RC paper, Foma makes a single weight product.

jnantz
19-Jan-2015, 08:38
hi mark

i have a feeling this is outside your project's scope
but you can coat single weight paper with photographic emulsion
or something in-between single weight and thicker.

the book "silver gelatin" gives coating techniques, as does
the website : the light farm http://thelightfarm.com/Map/PaperAndCoating/PaperAndCoatingPart1.htm

if it is in the stars, and you have the time and energy, it might be worth the effort
if you can't find the pre-made paper you are looking for. i've been coating "stuff" for almost as long
as i have been processing my own film and prints, its kind of fun ... ( but obviously, not for everyone, and there is a little bit of a learning curve )

good luck !
john