PDA

View Full Version : Are there any rental or community darkrooms in the Atlanta, Georgia USA area?

AtlantaTerry
16-Jan-2015, 05:22
Back in the late '70s when I moved to Atlanta, I used a community darkroom at Georgia Tech in the basement of the old YMCA building for my B&W work. There also was a business called The Automated Darkroom on Piedmont Road in Buckhead where you could rent small enlarger rooms by the hour then process your color or Cibachrome paper in automated developing machines. Showcase Camera used to have a photography school that had a darkroom area. And the Atlanta Photography Center on Cheshire Bridge Road had a darkroom you could rent by the hour.

Now, as far as I know all of those facilities are no longer extant.

Does anyone in the Atlanta area know of college that has photography courses which has a darkroom facility available? Or any kind of a community darkroom? Or a rental darkroom?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Terry

Neal Chaves
16-Jan-2015, 10:11
You might check on this Ilford site.
http://www.localdarkroom.com/facilities/view.php

AtlantaTerry
17-Jan-2015, 22:20
You might check on this Ilford site.
http://www.localdarkroom.com/facilities/view.php
Thank you!!

letchhausen
18-Jan-2015, 13:24
Just be aware that the Ilford site is a well intentioned beginning but there's tons of darkrooms out there that aren't listed. I wouldn't take it as anything other than a place to list the darkrooms you find moreso than a place to find existing darkrooms.

esearing
19-Jan-2015, 09:19
Spruill Arts center in Dunwoody offers 8 week classes on darkroom and can support 4x5 enlarging. Not sure if they rent out the darkroom by the hour. Print room has several enlargers set up and gang trays for print development. Film Darkroom is closet size.

Camera Doctor in Decatur requires you take his classes then rents the darkroom per hour. My initial conversation with owner was he only supports 35mm and med format.

Also check with Mike at Wing's camera. He may know someone with a personal darkroom.

AtlantaTerry
20-Jan-2015, 01:11
Spruill Arts center in Dunwoody offers 8 week classes on darkroom and can support 4x5 enlarging. Not sure if they rent out the darkroom by the hour. Print room has several enlargers set up and gang trays for print development. Film Darkroom is closet size.

Camera Doctor in Decatur requires you take his classes then rents the darkroom per hour. My initial conversation with owner was he only supports 35mm and med format.

Also check with Mike at Wing's camera. He may know someone with a personal darkroom.
OK, thanks, I appreciate it.