PDA

View Full Version : Another Pack Perdicament, this time for a 5x7

John Kasaian
15-Jan-2015, 12:28
In my most recent adventure in gear reorganization I've done enough damage to my 8x10 kit that I thought I'd attack the 5x7, especially in anticipation that there will be some decent skiing in the Sierra (which hasn't yet materialized) One of my "ski" cameras is a handheld 5x7 Speed Graphic with a 203 f/7.7 Ektar on the snout. I made the executive decision that for work on the snow, I'll use plastic film holders. Now this kit rests in a Jansport Equinox day pack I'd gotten about 15 years ago. It still looks great.
After taking an inventory of 5x7 film holders I had precious few plastic Liscos (3 to be exact) so I went hunting through my storage room and found six more of the plastic Liscos! That would represent a good photography outing on the snow---for me anyway--- and I was quite pleased until I tried getting all nine holders to fit inside the Equinox along with the camera, light meter, filters, miniature bottle of brandy(emergency lens cleaning solution :o) etc...
It just was not going to work.
So I need a larger day pack for skiing.
Any suggestions?

Bill_1856
15-Jan-2015, 12:32
Go-Pro, and get a better helmet than poor Michael Schumacher.

jp
15-Jan-2015, 13:20
Can you fit a few holders elsewhere like in jacket pockets or pants pockets?

jp
15-Jan-2015, 14:10
If you have wooden holders they might be less static-ey on dry sunny+snowy days. Light meter with a miniature incident meter or cell phone. Take only 1-2 filters, one on the lens.

John Kasaian
15-Jan-2015, 18:53
Static electricity hasn't been a problem for me---I wanted to use plastic holders because of their strength and resistance to moisture.
The Wrattan filters aren't really a problem (I only use two and one of those is usually on the lens (K2)as you've aleady suggested.
5x7 film holders, unlike 4x5, are too big for most pockets.

John Kasaian
15-Jan-2015, 18:54
Go-Pro, and get a better helmet than poor Michael Schumacher.

They make a 5x7 Go-Pro?

John Kasaian
15-Jan-2015, 18:57
Would a pack predicament be more correctly called a packdicament?

Drew Wiley
16-Jan-2015, 09:56
I finally put all my new packs in one spot, and it turns out I have about six of them!!! That should give me plenty of replacement parts, and even entire new systems, and last for the duration of my mobility. So guess it's time to listen to my wife and not pick up any more. But I really did get some sweet deals. As usual, I use the same kinds of packs for 8x10 shooting as for general backpacking: vintage US Kelty Tioga's and big Camp Trails packs. I have different inserts which drop in the top. Lenses are pretty much the same regardless of format, with the exceptions of the shortest focal lengths. The Norma 4x4 sits in a Rubbermaid plastic kitchen wastebasket, which neatly drops right in. The rail extend sideways over the top, and a filmholder box nests neatly below the camera itself. It takes mere seconds to put it in. The 8x10 Philips folder is in a big shoulder case for which I made a plexi liner, to keep it all secure, and has room for several holders. This just drops right into the top of any of these packs too. If it's the 6x7 shoulder pack, I just slip in a fitted foamboard liner and in it goes. Pretty much a modular system, with lots of extra room for jackets, first aid, etc. When snowshoeing or skiing, I'd always add my roll-up backpacking corrugated
rubber sleeping pad (not an air mattress). This is mighty handy if you need to rest on the snow or sort out your gear someplace dry. A big pack is also nice if
you need to slip in and out of heavy outerwear as the weather changes. You know how it is up there, John. It can be mighty cold in morning shade, then downright hot when the sun comes out. When venturing seriously out there, I also like toting an ice axe for probing snow bridges and other potentially dangerous spots, plus the usual winter backcountry items. I won't get near the slopes after a storm. That's for fools. One day I was chatting with a fellow my
age who is one of the world's most accomplished alpine-style Himalayan climbers. He said he'd never go into Sierra backcountry in mid-winter because it is
"too dangerous". That's why he is still alive.

Drew Bedo
16-Jan-2015, 11:02
How big (and heavy) a bag can you ski with? Is this down-hill (Alpine) or Cross-country skiing?

John Kasaian
16-Jan-2015, 16:54
Alpine, on -piste. I don't have touring bindings. I went to REI today and some of the climbing bags looked like they might work. My Equinox isn't much bigger than a daypack (it will fit a stack of 8x10 holders, which is why I got the pack in the first place)

Jim Noel
16-Jan-2015, 16:59
If you have wooden holders they might be less static-ey on dry sunny+snowy days. Light meter with a miniature incident meter or cell phone. Take only 1-2 filters, one on the lens.

Agreed. When I use to backpack a 4x5, and later a 5x7 on cross-country skis everything was wood to eliminate static- camera, tripod, holders I also carried spare pole baskets to put on the tripod legs so they didn't sink too deep into the snow. I wish I could still do this, but I haven't been in 30+ years.

Larry Kellogg
18-Jan-2015, 06:50
When I upgraded to 5x7 from 4x5 I was relieved to find that the Tilopa BC pack from f-stop accommodated the larger camera.

https://shop.fstopgear.com/us/products/mountain/backpacks/tilopa-bc.html#.VLu5DSY8KnM

I suppose it depends on your model of 5x7, mine is a Wisner, be sure to measure and compare against the dimensions of the internal units.

I like this pack because it has a well made waist belt. I don't ski with it though.

Sal Santamaura
18-Jan-2015, 10:15
When I upgraded to 5x7 from 4x5 I was relieved to find that the Tilopa BC pack from f-stop accommodated the larger camera...Larry, two questions about the pack. First, where is it manufactured? Second, since I've found many Chinese textiles exude an intolerable stench, if the first answer is "China" (or even if it's not), how does it smell? Thanks in advance.

Larry Kellogg
18-Jan-2015, 10:41
Huh, I never expected that question. I can't figure out where it is made, the only tag I found points to the website. So far, I have not found the country of manufacture on the website. It might be on there somewhere or give them a call.

I've never noticed any smell from the backpack and I've had it probably three years now.

I see the one on the website is blue, I prefer my forest green one. I guess you can choose a color.

One of the main selling points for the pack is that It will fit into an overhead compartment on a plane. I went back and forth with f-stop about that and indeed it does fit, I took it to Europe and back. F-stop works with a lot of traveling pros who have this requirement. Of course, you need an empty overhead bin.

Sal Santamaura
21-Jan-2015, 10:56
...I can't figure out where it is made, the only tag I found points to the website. So far, I have not found the country of manufacture on the website. It might be on there somewhere or give them a call...I wrote instead of calling and just received the following reply:

"Our products are made in China but we've never had issues with any odors coming from the packs and other items."

I've heard that before and been disappointed. However, f-stop's return policy is generous, so I might have to try one and give it the "sniff test" myself. :) If so, I'll post a follow up report.