PDA

View Full Version : Houston Center for Photography print auction

Darin Boville
14-Jan-2015, 14:32
The preview exhibit is up now with the auction taking place on February 18. There's some good work there, including a print by yours truly.

If you can't make it you can see all the images at: http://www.hcponline.org/exhibits/exhibitions/view/36/2015-print-auction-exhibition

--Darin

Kirk Gittings
14-Jan-2015, 14:50
Good for you. Hope your piece sells.

Just an aside. I participate in one here at the Albuquerque Museum-not just photography. It has been around for 24 years. I was the first photographer to be asked to participate in 2005. Originally it was invitation only. Now you have to submit. Since 2005 they have sold around 40 of my prints-selling some every year. This event raises from 130 to 160k every year for the museum-not bad in a city the size of Albuquerque. Here is the rub as per venues like the Houston one. They advertise this as supporting the museum AND the artists. Artists that sell are likely to get in every year. Quality in all mediums is very high. They give the artist 60% of the sale price. So that 130-160k net is after they have paid us our 60%. I wish more of these events would take such a strategy. Most artists live-hand-to-mouth.

Darin Boville
14-Jan-2015, 16:04
Here's the pdf of the auction catalogue. I didn't realize that I was to be in such august company! (I would kill for some of the prints in the live auction section...):

http://www.hcponline.org/files/uploads/HCP_2015_Auction_Catalog_WEB.pdf

--Darin

Kirk Gittings
14-Jan-2015, 17:23
Great company, a couple I know personally. Good luck.

Nathan Potter
15-Jan-2015, 11:58
Never paid much attention to this type of venue - but I should have. Seems like a fine idea to help both museum and artist. Some high quality images there in Houston. The price listed for the photographs seems quite high for presumably little known artists. I wonder how it is set; I assume the auction yield is much lower.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Bill_1856
15-Jan-2015, 12:39
Thanks for showing them.
Some nice work, definitely Texas prices.
I've never understood why people would pay a lot of money for chromogenic prints (here today, gone in 10 years).

bob carnie
15-Jan-2015, 13:34
Good Company Darren

tgtaylor
15-Jan-2015, 15:29
I've never understood why people would pay a lot of money for chromogenic prints (here today, gone in 10 years).

I don't think that is true anymore - if it ever was true.

Here's a snap of a print that until recently resided on the kitchen wall. The negative (Fuji 160-S) was taken on 7 December 2009 with a polarizer (to help make the passing clouds stand out) and the print was made a couple of days later. Both negative and the print was processed at home in a Jobo using Kodak chemistry and printed on Fuji CA paper.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7465/15666622664_afca934af3.jpg

It was dropped removing it and the fall cracked the plate glass and has been stored since in a closet. Although it has not been taken care of to the extent that I now take care of my prints, I can not detect any deterioration. It looks as good as the day I printed it almost 6 years ago.

Thomas

Nathan Potter
16-Jan-2015, 16:06
Some people class Ilfochrome prints as chromogenic although not strictly so since the dyes are already in the print material. Nevertheless I have a number of early Cibachrome prints done in the early 1970s that show near zero change after 40 years of hanging on the wall. Every once in a while someone asks me what the piece of black paper is for at the edge of the frame. I think fine Cibas are highly collectible.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.