PDA

View Full Version : plastic daylight development tanks/staining developers/color processing

Deval
14-Jan-2015, 06:49
Hello, basic question, does anyone here that uses plsatic daylight development tanks do anything special to clean out the tanks after development. I usually just do a thorough hot water rinse.

I called Photographer's Formulary and was slightly surprised that the tech uses soap and water with a non abrasive brush after each use. I thought soap could leave alkaline residue.

Recently I've been thinking of trying a staining developer(pyrocat hd) to compare to xtol.

I also use the same tank for C41 and soon E6. I've read that some steps of e6 should be done outside the tank to not ruin the plastic. Are there any precautions or recommendations with staining developers and these tanks, or would you keep a separate development tank for staining developers.

thanks
-Deval

Bruce Barlow
14-Jan-2015, 06:54
Like you, I wash it out. Never had a problem, and I'm using Pyrocat.

stradibarrius
16-Jan-2015, 08:16
I just use hot water rinse too. never had an issue with residual "stuff".

koraks
16-Jan-2015, 09:36
Just a rinse, that's all. The minute traces of calcium and other minerals in my tap water have never noticeably interfered with anything.

Drew Wiley
16-Jan-2015, 10:10
Film developers are seldom an issue. Anything containing amidol can leave quite a residue that needs scrubbing.

Kirk Gittings
16-Jan-2015, 14:30
Even though I rinse thoroughly, I get some some brown residue buildup on my BTZS tubes with Pyrocat HD. I talked to Fred Newman about it and he had never seen it or heard of it.

Patrick13
16-Jan-2015, 14:47
Some people use photoflo or other surfacant in the tank instead of outside, and that stuff will accumulate after a while.

I do not, I have a separate tupperware tub for that so I just rinse thoroughly with hot water like almost everyone else here so far and scrub when I'm feeling guilty about not doing something else =P