PDA

View Full Version : Filter Question

Kevin Crisp
13-Jan-2015, 19:19
I don't use filters much and haven't paid much attention to them. Early on I thought there was wisdom to Fred Picker's comment that you should make a second exposure without the filter "so you'll have one to print."

Be that as it may, if I am shooting black and white film, and photographing very pink sandstone (nearly pink as a baby's blanket, but maybe a little more orange) and I want to bring out some of the white material that is in it, in layers, what filter would I use? Green?

Thanks and no offense intended to the red filter addicts.

vinny
13-Jan-2015, 19:23
The opposite of a pink filter.

Bill_1856
13-Jan-2015, 19:38
Start with green.
The best way is to look through it and see how she works.

Old-N-Feeble
13-Jan-2015, 19:40
Deep green or deep blue. Is there anything else in the image area other than the sandstone?

Kevin Crisp
13-Jan-2015, 19:47
Not really, maybe a little slice of sky.

Old-N-Feeble
13-Jan-2015, 19:54
It probably will make little difference but if the pink is more magenta then a deep green filter might work better but if it's more orange then a deep blue might be more effective. Try both if you already have them. Keep in mind they'll probably need to be very deep filters to make a noticible difference if the colors in the stone are subtle... #47 blue or #64 green for example.

Kevin Crisp
13-Jan-2015, 19:56
I've got one of each, well traveled but never used. Thanks.

Doremus Scudder
17-Jan-2015, 15:14
I use a green filter to darken the pink/red rocks somewhat when photographing in the SW. That said, even though the rocks look pink and red, there isn't really a heck of a lot of saturation to them. Often the filter has a minimal effect. Many times it is better to expand contrast through other means such as expanded development/higher grade paper.

Also, when using any filter, be aware of the ancillary effects: shadows will go darker with a green filter just like with a yellow or orange filter, blue skies will be darkened and green foliage lightened as well.

Best,

Doremus