PDA

View Full Version : Filmholder Belt Packs

David A. Goldfarb
23-Dec-2004, 15:50
http://www.echonyc.com/~goldfarb/temp/FilmholderPacks.jpg

I have no financial interest in this product, but I wanted to put in a good word for Ted Burford, who made these custom filmholder belt packs.

I had noticed that he was advertising darkcloths and 4x5" and 5x7" belt packs on eBay, so I asked if he was the manufacturer, and if he might be able to make some custom packs for me that would be appropriately sized for Grafmatics and for my 5x7" Graflex plate magazine. I sent him the measurements and made a few special requests, which he took into account. The ones on eBay were lined with flannel, and I thought that would attract dust, so I asked for nylon inside and out. I also asked for a pocket on the outside for small accessories or a notepad.

He sent one batch and I thought the seams on the flap and the opening looked weak and might be improved by adding some binding tape to finish the seams. Ted asked for them back and made new ones with the green binding tape you can see in the pictures and improved the placement of the velcro closures, and had them back to me in short order.

They cost me $30 each plus a nominal shipping charge for Priority Mail. It's good to see someone new out there serving our market, and I'm sure he'd be willing to work on cases for lenses and other kinds of things. His e-mail is tedburford@yahoo.com.

Jim Rice
23-Dec-2004, 17:07
Is there or can there be padding between the inner and outer layers? Can it come in some color other than purple? Padded dividers for a lens tote would be nice, as well. Actually, the purple is growing on me.

David A. Goldfarb
23-Dec-2004, 17:28
Yes, they are padded on the outside, but there is no padding between the holders. I prefer it that way, actually, so they are a little more flexible for use with different kinds of holders. I'm sure he can have them made any way you like.

They are actually blue, so maybe my monitor or yours is making them look purple.

Frank Petronio
23-Dec-2004, 19:14
Purple here on a calibrated Mac... Maybe we should post a test target and see how wacky each other's monitors are.

In fact they are so loud, that I think "fashion accessories" more than "photo equipment"!

David A. Goldfarb
23-Dec-2004, 19:55
Uncalibrated monitor here, and they do look a bit purple.

I'm sure he can make them in other colors.

Ted Burford
23-Dec-2004, 20:52
I can make them out of a different color. Would you prefer black?

Ted

David A. Goldfarb
23-Dec-2004, 21:23
Hi Ted. Thanks for checking in. I'm fine with blue.

Jim Ewins
23-Dec-2004, 23:17
A great feature on a Lowpro I have is the single belt loop is wide & stiff and attached to the bottom with velcro rather than stiched like at the top. In that manner I don't have to thread my belt thru, just unfasten it at the bottom, slip it over the belt and make contact with the velcro at the bottom.

Bill L.
24-Dec-2004, 09:09
What is Ted's ebay id or ebay store id? I tried doing a quick search on ebay, and didn't come up with anything. Of course, could be this is not the optimal selling time...

David A. Goldfarb
24-Dec-2004, 09:23
His eBay id is ted.b, but since these were made to order, we did this transaction privately.

Now that I'm on a different computer, I see how purple they look. So much for "auto white balance"! They really are the same shade of blue as many outdoor products. My 8x10" backpack, windbreaker, down vest, and probably a few other things are all this color.

Ted Burford
24-Dec-2004, 14:09
I am also in the process of setting up a web site;

http://tedsphotogear.com/

If someone wants a product custom made let me know!

Ted

Leigh Perry
24-Dec-2004, 14:14
Ted, can you make a tripod apron?

See this thread: http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/499044.html (http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/499044.html)

Ted Burford
24-Dec-2004, 17:11
> Ted, can you make a tripod apron?

I could make something like that. I would need all of the measurements.

Ted

Frank Petronio
24-Dec-2004, 20:02
You could knock off Gnass Gear, especially if you made a website that didn't require sixteen layers of registration and passwords to place a simple order. Stick to using a PayPal shopping Cart and keep it SIMPLE! People would pay top dollar for custom camera sacks, lens cases, etc. For example, I'd love something along the lines of the Gnass Gear lens case but sized for 171mm Arca-Swiss boards, and with pull handles on both ends for when it is deep within my larger case and I need to pull it out.

Or how about a padded ground glass protector with fuzzy fleece on the part touching the glass, but with a protective plastic insert to keep our glass secure - and make it in 5x7 and 8x10 sizes too.

A nice case for a Pentax Digital Spot.

Ditto the suggestion to do a velcro flap that I can slide under my belt instead of having to thread onto my belt. Everytime I whip my belt off in public I get arrested.

Good luck - Merry Christmas too - Frank

Ted Burford
25-Dec-2004, 21:09
I will take only PayPal and Money Orders and checks on my web site. If I buy a Bogan Tripod Apron what changes do I need to make to improve on the design? If someone wants something made and I can find out enough about it to be able to design it I am willing.

Ted

Ted Burford
16-Jan-2005, 12:31
I am re-designing the film holder bags.

They will be made of black fabric with red trim.

They will be padded and the belt flap will have Velcro on the bottom so you will not have to remove your belt.

Ted