PDA

View Full Version : 210mm lenses in Copal 0?

Steve Goldstein
9-Jan-2015, 15:01
In looking over some old Schneider literature today I noted that the 210mm f/9 Repro-Claron was offered in a Copal 0 shutter, like the 200mm f/8 Nikkor-M, but the 210mm G-Claron (also f/9) was in a Copal 1. At first I thought this might be related to the lens design - the Repro-Claron is a dialyte, the Nikkor-M is a tessar, and the G-Claron is a plasmat, but then there's the 240mm f/9 Fujinon-A, a slightly longer plasmat type that still fit in a Copal 0. This makes me wonder why Schneider would have put the 210mm G-Claron (and even the 240mm, for that matter) into a Copal 1 when it might have fit a Copal 0. We'll never know, but it's always fun to speculate late on a Friday afternoon.

Any ideas?

Drew Wiley
9-Jan-2015, 16:03
They were probably concerned with mechanical vignetting when the lens is wide open. A minor factor, but relevant when push comes to shove.

Arne Croell
10-Jan-2015, 08:52
Schneider probably sold many more G-Clarons in barrel as process lenses than shuttered versions. Having the same size barrel for the 240 and 210 lens cells would have saved cost, and the barrel of the 150mm G-Claron (size 0 shutter threads) is definitely too small for the 210 cells.

Just be happy they made them compatible with shutters at all, unlike Rodenstock with their Apo-Gerogon...

sanking
10-Jan-2015, 10:12
Schneider probably sold many more G-Clarons in barrel as process lenses than shuttered versions. Having the same size barrel for the 240 and 210 lens cells would have saved cost, and the barrel of the 150mm G-Claron (size 0 shutter threads) is definitely too small for the 210 cells.

Just be happy they made them compatible with shutters at all, unlike Rodenstock with their Apo-Gerogon...

Is the Apo-Gerogon good for landscape work, and was it multi-coated?

Sandy

Arne Croell
10-Jan-2015, 10:26
The Apo-Gerogons were single coated, just like the G-Clarons. They are pretty much the same formula and size as the G-Clarons, f/9 Plasmat types officially optimized for 1:5 to 5:1 ratios at f/22. The official coverage is slightly higher than for the G-Claron, 70° instead of 64°. Whether they hold up to 80° when stopped down well (f/32-f/64) as the G-Clarons do, I do not know. I have used a 150mm on 4x5 a few times and it was quite sharp at infinity (f/22).
The only multicoated process Plasmats I know of are the Docter Germinar W lenses and the Fujinon A series.

Is the Apo-Gerogon good for landscape work, and was it multi-coated?

Sandy

Dan Fromm
10-Jan-2015, 10:30
Sandy, this may not be important for you, but Apo-Gerogons' cells are not direct fits in standard shutters. Given the cost of adapters, you're probably better off with a G-Claron, since their cells all fit standard shutters.

sanking
10-Jan-2015, 10:44
Sandy, this may not be important for you, but Apo-Gerogons' cells are not direct fits in standard shutters. Given the cost of adapters, you're probably better off with a G-Claron, since their cells all fit standard shutters.

Dan,

I would be using this with a digital back/camera so I don't need a shutter. I am just looking for a small multi-coated APO ln this focal length, i.e. 210 mm. I have a 180mm Fujinon-A, and a 240mm Fujinon-A, would like something similar in 210mm.

Have considered the 210 G-Claron, and this would be a bargin for me in barrel, but for the kind of work I do multi-coating would be better. I like the Apo Symmar and have two of them, but the 210mm f/5.6 is a fairly large lens for my small camera outfit.

But I am wide open to suggestions.

Sandy

europanorama
26-Mar-2019, 20:23

Rafcamera made multiple adapters for use of processing lenses for different purposes. One is for Apo-Gerogons 210 and 240/9.0 on Copal 1. M40x,75-M50x,75F(we omitted writing 0.75 instead ,75),they are all anodized and affordable. check his site or ebay. normally when i have an idea his is producing multiples of the same. He is sending through Moscow. paypal available(he used a service).
Very important to give all dimensions for special adapter-he also made wrong adapter since one dimension was slightly too narrow...... For Apo-Gerogon it was simple. he made also special adapters for P6/Kiev 60 purposes. for bellows use etc.
Schneider Kreuznach Data-Archive (not online anymore but on Archive.org it is saved-the right link is needed) is saved on FB in file-section(two files since larger than 1oMB-limit) of Largeformat Photography. All data inside. Would be nice if this forum had also a files-section.

europanorama
26-Mar-2019, 20:28
the poor ones cannot afford those 100 usd-adapters right. for that reason i mentioned Bielarus company Rafcamera. 1/3 of that.
And there will be more new affordable new products coming from china/asia in the near future. cameras, lenses, rotapancameras(digital).They are now capable for highest quality. a trustful source told.