PDA

View Full Version : Induro Carbon 8X CT214 Tripod For 4x5?

ryanmills
9-Jan-2015, 12:22
Curious if anyone has used a "Induro Carbon 8X CT214 Tripod" with a 4x5, thinking about picking one up along with a Manfrotto 405 geared head. If so any issues? I was thinking about new gitzo sticks but I got really tired of the new legs and how they fold under every time you lifted it after a bit of use. No matter how much I torqued them down. Would love to buy an older gitzo but no one seems to ever sell them lol. From what I have read the induro is pretty solid, x8 vs x6 carbon thickness on a similar gitzo, little shorter folded, bubble level, comes with spikes and other misc things that could be useful including the optional short center column. Will be using it with a rail sinar 4x5.

Ari
9-Jan-2015, 14:37
The CT214 is a 4-section tripod, so while it might fold up smaller than a 3-section, it will not be as stable. The thinnest-diameter sections will flex quite a bit, especially with a heavy Sinar on top.
I would suggest, if budget permits, that you look at the CT 313: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655208-REG/Induro_471_313_Carbon_8X_CT313_Tripod.html
Looks like thicker-diameter sections, and only 3 sections in all, so I think it would be a more stable tripod than the CT214.

andreios
9-Jan-2015, 14:54
I think Ari is right. 214 would be fine with a light weight Chamonix or some such camera, but not with Sinar. 313 sounds better. But I'd say do consider also the aluminium version - AT313. I have the AT413 that I use under my 8x10 and it is not that heavy and it feels very nice.

ryanmills
9-Jan-2015, 15:16
The CT214 is a 4-section tripod, so while it might fold up smaller than a 3-section, it will not be as stable. The thinnest-diameter sections will flex quite a bit, especially with a heavy Sinar on top.
I would suggest, if budget permits, that you look at the CT 313: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655208-REG/Induro_471_313_Carbon_8X_CT313_Tripod.html
Looks like thicker-diameter sections, and only 3 sections in all, so I think it would be a more stable tripod than the CT214.

You have a valid point. I did look at that one but its the overall folding height that keeps me from getting it. I fly a lot and it has to fit in my suitcase. I already have a flight case with everything else. Checking three bags just costs to much, especially international. The thin last segment has me a little worried but unless im on the beach i prob would not use it. I work with kids so its already taller than I need. Personally would not mind the weight of metal to keep it stable but at least the Induro ones are all too tall.

Ari
9-Jan-2015, 15:57
You have a valid point. I did look at that one but its the overall folding height that keeps me from getting it. I fly a lot and it has to fit in my suitcase. I already have a flight case with everything else. Checking three bags just costs to much, especially international. The thin last segment has me a little worried but unless im on the beach i prob would not use it. I work with kids so its already taller than I need. Personally would not mind the weight of metal to keep it stable but at least the Induro ones are all too tall.

Then maybe the CT314, it should fold up smaller, being a 4-section, and it should be beefier than the CT214.

Ari
9-Jan-2015, 15:58
I think Ari is right. 214 would be fine with a light weight Chamonix or some such camera, but not with Sinar. 313 sounds better. But I'd say do consider also the aluminium version - AT313. I have the AT413 that I use under my 8x10 and it is not that heavy and it feels very nice.

I had the AT413 as well, and while I had some problems with it after a few months, I thought it was a pretty good tripod for heavier cameras.

ryanmills
9-Jan-2015, 16:11
Then maybe the CT314, it should fold up smaller, being a 4-section, and it should be beefier than the CT214.

I cant seem to figure out if the last segment is the same thickness in both the 214 and 314, pictures make it look as thou its all the same just with a few inches added to each segment. If anyone happens to know for sure if the 314 was thicker I would get that one.

Ari
9-Jan-2015, 16:16
I cant seem to figure out if the last segment is the same thickness in both the 214 and 314, pictures make it look as thou its all the same just with a few inches added to each segment. If anyone happens to know for sure if the 314 was thicker I would get that one.

For that, you should check the Induro website or call B&H on Sunday.

ryanmills
9-Jan-2015, 16:33
For that, you should check the Induro website or call B&H on Sunday.

Yea might try that, I have also been looking at the 3 legged thing, x5 frank. Looks to be beefy enough and has what i need but I know nothing of that brand: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/903235-REG/3_Legged_Thing_3ltfrank_3LT_X5_Frank.html

ryanmills
10-Jan-2015, 18:39
Yea might try that, I have also been looking at the 3 legged thing, x5 frank. Looks to be beefy enough and has what i need but I know nothing of that brand: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/903235-REG/3_Legged_Thing_3ltfrank_3LT_X5_Frank.html

After tons and tons of reading I think im just going to get the Gitzo GT2532 Mountaineer Series 2, to many mixed reviews and I need this one to last a long time. Hopefully I don't get slippy legs again.